Considering Breast Reduction... Thoughts or Experiences???

Options
2»

Replies

• shel1103
    shel1103 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    After my kids were born, I was right around 165 or so, and I was a 34K. Yes, that is right...H - I - J - *K* cup. I had reduction surgery when my youngest was about 3 - single best thing I ever did for myself, with the possible exception of currently losing weight. I have to say that the surgery made more of a different in my comfort (back pain, shoulder dents, rashes under the girls) than anything that has happened so far with my weight loss and improved fitness. The surgeon removed 8 pounds when he did my surgery - can you imagine carrying around 1-1/2 bags of sugar on your chest?!

So I support this, but ONLY if you are a legitimate candidate for it. What that means is an individual thing, IMHO. From the outside looking in, 36DDD doesn't hit the mark for me, but it's not my decision! I am a 36DD (really probably more like a 34DDD since my band size shrunk but the girls are going nowhere!) now AFTER surgery, and I'm not sure I'd want to deal with the recovery for such a minimal difference, as I wouldn't want to go below a D cup size. So 36DDD to 36D wouldn't be worth it to me.

Oh, and DEFINITELY wait until you've lost the weight!!! All the saggy uglies get put back in place when they do reduction. :laugh: :noway: It's like a lift and reduction at the same time. :heart: Love, love, love what it did for the girls...they were up where they belonged for the first time in almost a decade! :heart:

I also failed to mention that I'm noticeably lopsided. My right one is actually an F, while my left is probably a D or DD. It pops out of my bras and makes it embarrassing to stand up straight, so I am constantly slouching... which causes problems with your neck and your shoulder. DDD/E may not sound large to you, and I understand that, but they are very large to me and causing me pain and discomfort.

I definitely appreciate your input. I think I would be most comfy around a C... I go for a consult on the 26th. I believe with the documented medical issues and disgusting dents, I would be a candidate. However - losing weight first sounds like the most logical thing.
  • MissNordicLight
    MissNordicLight Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I went to a consultation a couple of weeks ago and I now have a date for my reduction, end of September, I can't wait! I'm like you, even when I was at my slimmest they were BIG. I need to loose 5 kg until the surgery, which should be no problem at all.

I have two friends that have done this and the only thing they regret is to not have done it sooner.
  • Graciecny
    Graciecny Posts: 303
    Options
    I also failed to mention that I'm noticeably lopsided. My right one is actually an F, while my left is probably a D or DD. It pops out of my bras and makes it embarrassing to stand up straight, so I am constantly slouching... which causes problems with your neck and your shoulder. DDD/E may not sound large to you, and I understand that, but they are very large to me and causing me pain and discomfort.

I definitely appreciate your input. I think I would be most comfy around a C... I go for a consult on the 26th. I believe with the documented medical issues and disgusting dents, I would be a candidate. However - losing weight first sounds like the most logical thing.
    Yup, it's all about whether YOU think it is worth it! That's why I mentioned the "from the outside looking in..." thing. It's easy to make judgements and say "no, you shouldn't" or "yes, you should", but no one but you has to live with it/them on a daily basis. You will know if you should go for it or not once you talk to the surgeon - I almost cried when I got the preapproval paperwork from the insurance company, I was so relieved! It's also important to document, document, document all the issues you've had (which it sounds like you've done), whatever they may be, if you hope to get your insurance company to pay for it.

And honestly, I understand the slouching, the pain, the dents...BTDT, for sure! I kept one of the bras I had ordered just before I was approved for the surgey. I can wear it...as a HAT. Seriously. So if you feel you need this, you DO - and I wish you much luck with it! I think you'll be VERY happy. I've never met or spoken with anyone who had the surgery who said they regretted it. There might be peeps out there who regret, but the majority I've spoken with or read about are thrilled with the outcome!

Oh, and FWIW, regarding what I said about waiting. If you are anywhere close to your goal, I'd just go for it IF the girls are stopping you from working out. I could NOT work out when I was a 34K. I got horrible rashes - it was terribly painful - just from summer heat, much less trying to work out. And it was honestly hard to breathe (although I didn't realize how hard until the weight was removed)...just impossible. If that is how you feel, it might be best just to get 'er done. Just something to ponder...
  • shel1103
    Options
    Well who the heck could work out when you're a K? OMG!! That's crazy. I've been thinking about it most of the day, and I don't think that waiting will be all that bad of an idea. I'm gonna go for the consultation and see if they agree with me losing more weight first. I'm sure they won't be against it.

Thanks soooooo much!!!! xoxo
  • saustin201
    saustin201 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I had size 34DDD back when I was 130 pounds. So it wasn't about losing weight. Some people are just heavy there. I had a reduction and am so happy I did.
  • Christi6604
    Christi6604 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I haven't had surgery, or pondered it ..BUT , when I started losing weight I was a 42DDD/E...then at 38DDD/E....then a 38C...now, I'm 15 pounds from goal and I'm a 36D (all measured by the pros).

I used to not like exercising with them in the way either, but I went to a running store and got a really good bra...and it works. You may have to order online for your size, but it'll be worth it. I'd recommend getting a great bra until you get closer to goal and see what the ladies do.

My bra is a Moving Comfort bra...and the tag tells me that they have a website. movingcomfort.com.

Good luck, whatever you decide! :smile:
  • jankleberry
    jankleberry Posts: 508
    Options
    I am 6 days post breast reduction surgery at the moment. So far I am more than pleased with the results. I am still about 40lbs away from my target and like you had great difficulty exersising. This is why I chose to go ahead with the reduction now instead of battling through the rest of the weight loss first. My surgeon agreed with me and sympathised greatly with what I was going through. I was a UK size 36J and am now a C/D (not too sure yet).

Here is pictures showing the difference (My little bit of weight loss before is in there too lol)

January 2012
    7749886_4985.jpg

June 2012
    7749886_9313.jpg

Feel free to add me if you have any questions :)
  • jgondor
    jgondor Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    i have thought about it for myself but ultiimately decided against it. my backside is a little big too so i figured i would look lop-sided haha. my aunt had it done and she is so happy with the results and has no regrets. she too had back problems and now he problems have gotten better. i say if you are having physical pain due to them and you believe it will make you happier in the end then go for it.
  • GiaFox
    GiaFox Posts: 48
    Options
    I think getting a breast reduction, specially since you wanna lose weight, is a good idea.
  • shel1103
    Options
    I had size 34DDD back when I was 130 pounds. So it wasn't about losing weight. Some people are just heavy there. I had a reduction and am so happy I did.

So it's definitely possible that my chest will just be my chest no matter how much I lose? I'm still 50 or so pounds from my ultimate goal weight and it's coming off very slowly.

Thank you all for the advice. Much appreciated!!
  • stella_julia
    Options
    I had it done and I will never regret it. I was not at my target weight and as I have lost weight since then (I had it done almost 6 years ago) there was no serious reduction in size. It helped with exercise and was such a relief on my shoulders and back. And honestly being able to buy bras with tiny straps and only one or two hooks in the back instead of three or four was awesome! Go for it, you will not regret it. It will be a huge help with exercise and a bonus... you will lose weight overnight (from your boobs!) I had a 450 g removed from one breast and 550 from the other. It is well worth it.
  • KarensCanDoIt
    KarensCanDoIt Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I would lose a bit more weight first. You may be surprised to see how much they shrink naturally, and how much better you feel when they do. I was a 40DD. Now, 33 pounds lighter I'm about a 38D. I really should go get measured again. It's a world of difference. I feel much better now than I did when I was a larger size.

Once you've lost some weight, if you still aren't happy, then go ahead and investigate surgery. I don't know anyone personally who has had a breast reduction. You really never hear stories of regret in that instance, unlike enlargement surgeries which seem to have a lot more regret stories attached to them. Good luck with whatever you decide!
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    My aunt had it done and imo they took to much , because now her belly sticks out further than her boobs, so she looks much heavier now.
  • NOLA_Meg
    NOLA_Meg Posts: 194 Member
    Options

So it's definitely possible that my chest will just be my chest no matter how much I lose? I'm still 50 or so pounds from my ultimate goal weight and it's coming off very slowly.

Thank you all for the advice. Much appreciated!!

This can definitely be the case. I don't think you necessarily have to wait until your goal weight. I would take your measurements each week and see how much they decrease compared to your weight and measurements of other areas. Then perhaps at the half-way point you could be able to tell if it's weight or natural bustiness. I think you should pursue the consultation like you mentioned and go from there and definitely do what is best for you, especially considered you are different sizes. Also, not that this is the case, but is this something you would want even if you didn't reach your goal weight or didn't reach it within a certain period of time? Also, will having the surgery now rather than later help you reach your goals? Reflecting on that may help you think through the decision process.
  • whalecb
    whalecb Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I had one a week before my 21st birthday. I was a 48 G and was miserable and in pain all of the time. My surgeon removed 3 pounds from me and I am now down to a 44 D. I expect to go down more with the weight that I lose and I expect the girls to keep changing. I would DEFINITLEY do it again in a heart beat. Just have realistic expectations that if you're not at your goal weight, you will probably see more change after the surgery.
  • LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I had one when I was 18. I wasn't overweight so I can't speak to them shrinking (although I can say that mine now get bigger and smaller when I put on or lose weight, but to proportional degree). I will say that I have no regrets about having the surgery!
  • laurels12
    laurels12 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I had one 11 years ago, I was a 42J before J cups were even made. It was the single best decision I ever made in my life -- barring husband and children of course!

I couldn't breastfeed my eldest (pre reduction) as I would have suffocated him, so not being able to breastfeed my other three (who came along after the op) was not an issue for me.

I suffered with big boobs my whole life, they started growing at age 14 and never seemed to stop. I tried to reduce them myself by exercising but got to the point where I had lost 40lbs + but they were physically preventing me from taking the exercise to the next level (ie. running), I got demotivated and the weight went back on, and the boobs stayed huge!

With proper research, a good surgeon and good back up and support whilst you are recovering, I would absolutely say GO FOR IT! It was the best thing I ever did and I haven't regretted it for a single day. My scars barely show now and it's an easy trade-off against what I had before!!