cant contol it :/

Options
13»

Replies

• stopdangerpi
    Options
    Ever watch Sex and the City? This is one of my favorite scenes: Miranda battling with a cake!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfk5iseN87k
  • AliciaNorris81
    AliciaNorris81 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    My husband is a snack food distributor. Guess what he brings home all of the time?

The good thing about it is he also distributes for Kellog's so I get the 90 calorie bars and the good cereals...bad thing is, he distributes for Keebler too, and Jay's potato chips...ugh.

I have had to learn the ULTIMATE self control.

What I usually do is grab a string cheese or a few baby carrots and some water. Carrots are kind of sweet, so it helps. Also, I immediately give myself a task. "Ohh a cookie! I better get that toilet clean!" By the time I am done, I have forgotten about it.
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    There are many things you can do to regain the control you still have.

1. Don't buy the cookies. If they are too much of a temptation and you can't limit to the prescribed serving don't have them in the house. I'm this way with chips. I still firmly believe the big bags are 2 servings (which of course they are not which is why they are rarely in my house!!!!)

2. Portion them out into single serving bags and allow them into your calorie count.

3. Add them into your calorie count (without portioning them out). You need to find what works for you but this would never work for me if I denied myself what I like. That is why I failed at every other diet. I do this with popcorn (100 calorie bags), wine, ice cream etc. I earn it if I don't have the calories for it!!!

4. Pre-log your food so you know what you have the calories for. It helps me because if I've written it down I'm more likely to follow it and if I'm offered something that doesn't work into my calories I remind myself it's not on my menu for the day.

5. Find a way to get rid of the sugar craving. Many years ago I followed an eating plan called the Sonoma Diet. The first 10 days restricts your calories a lot (you can adjust with additional snack) but it also detoxes you from sugar (no fruit allowed but it's only 10 days) and I didn't think it would happen but I totally lost my craving for sugar. Now it's tons easier to have 1 or 2 cookies and not really want it. Yes the 10 days are hard but doable.

You need to find what works for you and go with that. These are things that have worked for me.
  • JennedyJLD
    JennedyJLD Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Think about how you're going to feel right after you eat the cookie. It's fun for a few seconds, but then there's the guilt and (if you have three more) that uncomfortable, bloated feeling. Now think about how you'll feel when you hit your next fitness goal. Ask yourself whether the temporary rush you get from a cookie binge is worth the guilt you feel later, or whether it's better than the pride you'll feel when you hit that goal.

I always advocate having a little bit of what you want. If possible, try to have just one, and work it into your daily calories and macros. if you absolutely can't limit yourself to just one (I've been there many times!) resolve to do an extra five minutes or ten minutes of exercise to earn back the calories. Sometimes it IS worth it to have some fun and pay the price later!!!
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    some times i have great self control but most of the time i dont ..i can look at a cookie and say "jess your not going to eat that cookie" and next thing i know i am eating the friggin cookie plus 3 more...what the heck can i do to have more self control?

i don't see a progress ticker under your post, so i'm going to ask (rhetorically) how successful you've been in your weight-loss.

the reason i ask, is because i also had a big issue saying no until i started to see/feel results. it then became a priority game with me: cookies vs. feeling better...i was feeling so good, and seeing the results of saying no, that it became easier for me to pass things up, and now to be honest i hardly miss them. i will have some stuff once in awhile...saturday night i had movie night with my son while my wife was out. we made cookies and i had a few. sure it was good but i knew i was in control, and if i wanted to say no, i certainly could have.

logging is also a HUGE help for me.

"3 little cookies won't hurt..."
    *log*
    "holy ****...those 3 little cookies were 200 calories!"
  • daylily2005
    daylily2005 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem with diet coke. I was a diet coke addict. Like really. :) I grew up drinking soft drinks and switched to diet in high school sometime. I don't drink coffee or tea, so that was my only source of caffeine. In February, I decided that I could break my diet coke addiction. I would just constantly tell myself I didn't need it. That doesn't mean that i didn't crave it, because I definitely did. But whenever I'd crave it, I'd think "I can drink something else instead. It's no big deal. Diet coke doesn't have any power over me." and after a couple of weeks I found myself satisfied with water or sugar free lemonade. I went with absolutely no diet coke for 3 weeks before I gave in and bought a can. I drank it over like 3 hours.

Now I have diet cokes occasionally. I don't keep it in the house because then I want to drink it more. When I'm out at a restaurant I might order one, or I might have water.

That's how I'm attacking this weight loss. The incredible satisfaction of knowing that I went from drinking LOTS of diet coke to next to none is what's fueling me forward. I use the same tactics. "I don't need french fries...I'll have ______" Or "I don't need a cookie....I'll have a little frozen yogurt instead...."

I've only been at this a little over a week, but it helps considerably! And when I think about caving, I just remember the good feeling of ditching diet cokes, and remind myself that I DO have willpower :)

My advice would be something like this. Find something that you've beat and felt good about and just constantly remind yourself of those feelings. And a little sugar doesn't hurt. Sweets are sweet for a reason! Just make sure not to overindulge.

I also found that making something sweet and promising to take it to someone's house or putting the rest in individual bags in the freezer works. I don't buy packaged sweets. Too easy to go overboard. But when you have to pull something out and defrost it...it requires a little more foresight (and calorie saving for dessert!). Hope this helps. You can do it! :)
  • rodes27
    rodes27 Posts: 15
    Options
    You cant deprive yourself...telling yourself you cant have any indulgences will just make you eat way more than you need.... .so schedule / eat the cookies... 1 serving size.....and log them in your calorie count. Another thing that helps me beat the sweet tooth is to have some cereal....either a sugar kind like apple jacks, or corn flakes with splenda as one of my meals....... two cups of apple jacks is just 200 calories (minus milk) and it takes care of my sweet tooth. At the end of the day...its about net calories, not protein, vs carbs....not cookies vs not carrots.....so treat yourself once in a while.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    My advice (which has worked well for me) is to take foods like this and divide them into plastic bags by serving and clearly label each one with the calories. I usually do this the day I buy my groceries and after I have eaten dinner so that I'm not still hungry. Then, whenever I'm contemplating eating that cookie or sweet, I have it already broken up by serving and if I decide that the calories are worth it, I'm not tempted to eat more than the serving. It has really helped me break my Cheez-Its addiction. Looking at a bag of cheez-its looks a lot less appealing to my stomach than a whole orange or bag of veggie straws!
    I love this idea. I might try this, but write how many miles I'd have to walk/run to earn the calories for the snacks. That should do it. lol

I find that when I'm overeating reason isn't terribly powerful. I know I'm consuming calories I don't need and recognize vaguely that there will be payback, but part of me simply doesn't care. That's why I'd rather not have the temptation around.

On the other hand, if I'm extremely fit, am feeling great and am doing everything I need to do, I'm more likely to be able to resist empty calories because it seems silly to destroy my momentum. But I don't like to risk it.