Why do people ask for help and then pooh pooh everything!!

Options
Is it just me? Or does everyone have friends on MFP that reach a plateau, post that they need help for ideas on how to break said plateau and then when people post their tips (ie not eating before bed, cutting out candy, changing their calorie intake, increasing of changing their exercise regime) they reply to each tip about how wrong it is and that you dont know what you're talking about because nothing that you're saying has ever been proven to be effective for weight loss and they are all just myths... If you dont want tips from people who are successfully losing weight, WHY ASK!? Just so you can make yourself feel better that youre doing "everything right" and that its not your fault you're plateauing? Or people who post and say they want to lose a bunch but they are not ready to change how they are eating or exercise and want tips. Seriously?! And yes, i know that sometimes when when you ARE doing everything right you can plateau.... it happens. Not what this rant is about. Nor is it about people who give advice when it wasnt asked for. Bases covered? Go! :tongue:

Replies

• stephanie1133
    Options
    LOL, this made me laugh because I see this on my feed all the time. I think it's a combo of denial, an unwillingness to change, not being READY to really change, and yet wanting to think they are doing everything right but their bodies are somehow unique and immune to weight loss. If I see them shooting down all advice, I don't add mine. If I comment and they shoot down my advice I don't comment again. Everyone is on their own journey and at different levels of readiness. Ya, it irritates me sometimes when they are adamant that there is NOTHING they could change and no one's advice is valid, but whatever, their loss. Hopefully one day they will be truly ready!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    This is why my friends are most excellent. Not a whiner or complainer in the bunch.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    There's a big difference between making claims / statements that apply to many or all people and figuring out what works for yourself. If you're having a discussion about the merits of, for argument's sake, a low-carb diet, then by all means, argue away, cite whatever resources you want, etc.

When it comes to getting your own weight loss going, or getting over that plateau, just try things until you find what works for you. I've observed that for whatever reason, if I eat a few hundred extra calories once every week or so (eating at around TDEE for that day instead of at my usual deficit), I have usually lost more weight on the morning after that extra food than on any other day of the week. Would I make the statement that everyone should just ignore this "caloric deficit" nonsense and eat a bunch more food? Of course not, but it works for me (once a week). Heck if I know why, but I wouldn't have figured that out if I'd never tried it!
  • astorminside
    astorminside Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    this doesn't really answer anything but people are so RUDE on here sometimes :(
  • Jezebel9
    Jezebel9 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I respond with my ideas and go on about my day. I do not know if they 'pooh poohed' my ideas or not, because I do not have time to get involved with text-wrestling with someone to try to get them to see the brilliance of my suggestion. And, my suggestion may not be good for them. It is like a gift I have given; it has no strings attached- they can do with it what they want.
    8)
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Those people don't really want help (even though they asked for it).

They wanted to hear sympathy,
    They wanted to hear compliments about how well they've done so far,
    They want attention not actual help.

Just shake them off. Don't let them drag you down into the pooh pooh. Pooh Pooh people are rarely successful.