shin splints

Options
When I was in high school my shin and ankle on my right leg hurt very badly playing tennis and I had to get my ankles wrapped everyday by the trainer. I've always had trouble running any distances (about a quarter mile is where I poop out) and even when I was a little kid I was be in tears at the end of the day if we did a lot of walking (like on vacation).

In high school I did go to the physical therapist who did an ultrasound on my legs and said it was the worst she had seen for someone who could still be active on them. I forget what all she did but I remember her massaging my leg and I think she gave me some meds or something. I know I had to go in several times for ultrasounds.

Today I am almost 29 and I still have the same problem. I've given up trying to be a runner, and even walking is painful. Just walking around on a daily basis is fine, but if I walk any distance at all or at a slightly brisk pace (I walk a little over a mile to a mile and a half on my lunch breaks) my right leg starts bothering me within about 10 minutes.

My left leg bothers me just a tiny bit but I can easily keep going, it's my right leg thats the problem. When it gets really bad toward the end of my walk or if I am walking faster than usual, my entire shin hurts very badly and I start losing motion range where your foot pivots on your ankle when walking (hope that made sense!). It gets really stiff and painful and it's like I almost start clopping my foot on the ground rather than the normal range of motion one uses when walking.

People insist that I am just out of shape and that if I keep walking it will get better, but I am not convinced it will. Walking is just about the only excercise that I can seem to manage because of my legs, and also one that I can do on my lunch break and that I find enjoyable so I don't want to give it up. but it hurts and I am afraid I am making it worse.

I've tried different shoes, better shoes, inserts, etc. it never seems to make a difference. Since I am not in school or in an organized sport or anthing that demands my legs get better (I do still play tennis but not as strenuously as in highschool and my legs don't seem to bother me during tennis now) I really don' have the time or money to have my leg problem investigated and cured at the doctors. I can only assume that would take a lot of work and money. Are there any stretches, at home remedies or anything I can do to make walking less painful? And am I in fact hurting myself further by continuing to walk when they start to hurt? Thanks for any suggestions.

Replies

• amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    When I was in high school my shin and ankle on my right leg hurt very badly playing tennis and I had to get my ankles wrapped everyday by the trainer. I've always had trouble running any distances (about a quarter mile is where I poop out) and even when I was a little kid I was be in tears at the end of the day if we did a lot of walking (like on vacation).

In high school I did go to the physical therapist who did an ultrasound on my legs and said it was the worst she had seen for someone who could still be active on them. I forget what all she did but I remember her massaging my leg and I think she gave me some meds or something. I know I had to go in several times for ultrasounds.

Today I am almost 29 and I still have the same problem. I've given up trying to be a runner, and even walking is painful. Just walking around on a daily basis is fine, but if I walk any distance at all or at a slightly brisk pace (I walk a little over a mile to a mile and a half on my lunch breaks) my right leg starts bothering me within about 10 minutes.

My left leg bothers me just a tiny bit but I can easily keep going, it's my right leg thats the problem. When it gets really bad toward the end of my walk or if I am walking faster than usual, my entire shin hurts very badly and I start losing motion range where your foot pivots on your ankle when walking (hope that made sense!). It gets really stiff and painful and it's like I almost start clopping my foot on the ground rather than the normal range of motion one uses when walking.

People insist that I am just out of shape and that if I keep walking it will get better, but I am not convinced it will. Walking is just about the only excercise that I can seem to manage because of my legs, and also one that I can do on my lunch break and that I find enjoyable so I don't want to give it up. but it hurts and I am afraid I am making it worse.

I've tried different shoes, better shoes, inserts, etc. it never seems to make a difference. Since I am not in school or in an organized sport or anthing that demands my legs get better (I do still play tennis but not as strenuously as in highschool and my legs don't seem to bother me during tennis now) I really don' have the time or money to have my leg problem investigated and cured at the doctors. I can only assume that would take a lot of work and money. Are there any stretches, at home remedies or anything I can do to make walking less painful? And am I in fact hurting myself further by continuing to walk when they start to hurt? Thanks for any suggestions.