what to do, to burn the most calories

Options
2»

Replies

• 40Marbles
    40Marbles Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells. The ballistic moves such as swings and snatches are said to burn nearly as many calories as uphill cross country skiing.
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Swimming. Way better than running imo :laugh: . Ultra low impact and it exercises so many muscle groups it's untrue. Your body burns more calories just standing still in a pool than a lot of other activities. As a guy it's also a great way to see hot chicks in bikinis :blushing:

edit - just remembered something my old coach used to talk about as well. Apparently the water pressure on your skin when you are in a pool also has a lot of health benfits. Not sure how accurate that is though :embarassed:
  • malakrolewna
    malakrolewna Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!! WOW, i just learned so much. Im going to check out HIIT. I had no idea about the calorie allowance. I thought i had to burn more than what i ate. I now know I was wrong. See.... this is why I love being here. I feel like i have coaches all around me. Thanks everyone!!
  • rpphillip
    rpphillip Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    climbing stairs or running
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!! WOW, i just learned so much. Im going to check out HIIT. I had no idea about the calorie allowance. I thought i had to burn more than what i ate. I now know I was wrong. See.... this is why I love being here. I feel like i have coaches all around me. Thanks everyone!!

You are burning just sitting there doing nothing - your BMR (basal metabolic rate) is the amount you will burn just by breathing. Any activity you do beyond that burns additional calories, which is a total daily energy expenditure (TDEE). To lose you a need a moderate deficit that lands between the two numbers. Too much of a deficit and everything stalls (happened to me when eating 1200 a day), too little and the loss happens at a glacial pace. For example, my BMR is ~1650, but with exercise my TDEE is 2550, so my goal calories are 2200.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Can anyone recommend some high calorie burning workouts? All i have at home in terms of equipment is a treadmill. From reading the threads, i understand that i have to burn more than 1200 calories a day, correct? (That is my daily intake goal).

Thanks in advance

First, I'm glad the misconception got cleared up. I was pondering a week of eating net zero calories, and remembering my own journey with fasting in a desperate attempt to lose weight because I had been undereating too long and didn't understand what I was doing to my metabolism... ugh.

Anyway, calories burned for cardio is really more a function of heart rate. Do anything it takes to get your heart rate to a healthy training range and keep it there. It helps to switch out exercises because your body will adapt to whatever you are doing, but if you keep upping the intensity forever to get your heart rate high, you'll keep burning calories quickly.

For long-term health, try to engage more muscle groups, and get into a little resistance training at some point to tone some calorie-burning muscle.