Peanut butter is my crack

Options

Replies

• hcglindsey
    hcglindsey Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    He may have been concerned about all the sugar and hydrogenated oisl in the brand. Try the maranatha brand at walmart( organic with healthy oils). If you havent noticed most men arent very tactful in thier approach! LOL
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I buy peanut butter 6 pounds at a time (Sam's club). I should eat natural more often. Sometimes I get the Smucker's natural. I eat it so quickly though, that money definitely has a hand in what I buy. Plus, Peter Pan creamy is amazing. I have days where I eat 5 or 6 TBSP. Yes. TABLESPOONS. With an apple or banana, mixed in a protein shake after a workout, on bread, melted and drizzled on a bowl of frozen yogurt or ice cream.... or just plain. I don't care. Just give me my peanut butter. I incorporate it, log it, and stay under or near my calories, so I don't care... I also don't care if I go over on fats (which I do like 99% of the time).

I do sufficient amounts of cardio and strength (including lifting heavy)... and I eat what I like.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is a lovely protein. Yes, it's high in fat, but if you're counting it there's no guilt associated with that.

The one thing I might respectfully suggest is to try "natural" peanut butter (the kind that has "ingredients: peanuts" on the label). Jiff and many other brands add all sorts of stuff to peanuts that isn't doing your body any real favors. Sugar being the worst offender.

But even with sugar, palm oil, molasses, and salt added - peanut butter is a beautiful food - in moderation (which it certainly sounds like you are eating it in moderation!).

Your coworker is an ignoramus. Oatmeal and peanut butter is a great combination. Not my preferred flavor, mind you, but complex carbs and protein is good food.
  • HYBRIDXXX
    HYBRIDXXX Posts: 86
    Options
    YOUR P.B. SHOULD HAVE NO MORE THAN TWO INGREDIENTS AND IT DEFINITELY SHOULD NT LIST IN DA INGREDIENT LIST ( FULLY HYDROGENATED OILS). DATZ A TRANS FAT & U DNT NEED DAT & SHUD NT B EATIN IT. U NEED 2 BUY EITHER DA NATURAL JIF OR KREMA WHICH DA 2ND ONE IS DA ONE I RECOMMEND. IT HAS 1 INGREDIENT WHICH IS PEANUTS & 9 GRAMS OF PROTEIN. HOPE THIS HELPS!
  • niss63
    niss63 Posts: 82 Member
    Options

Is regular peanut butter a sin? Do I need to give up my only vice when it comes to my diet?

No and No. I eat peanut butter almost every day. I would suggest that you drop the Jif Regular Creamy for Jif Natural Creamy to get away from the hydrogenated oils.
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    I read the subject line as "Peanut butter is in my crack". I was going to suggest wiping better.
  • ilovesparkle
    ilovesparkle Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone. I just wanted some opinions in regards to the ever so tasty peanut butter. Jiff regular creamy to be exact ;).
    I am new to MFP. Joined two wks ago. I was looking at my food log at work and a coworker/friend of mine took notice. I was talking to him about MFP and all the great info I found. I mentioned to him I had been trying to eat healthier blahblahblah and mentioned that for breakfast I ate steel cut whole grain oats with 2 tbsp of peanut butter mixed in. He all but laughed in my face!! He said, and I quote, 'Why even try to eat healthy if you're just going to eat that junk with it? You're wasting your time'. My jaw dropped. Not only was this pretty rude (in my opinion) but it isn't like I sit in a dark corner with a jar of Jiff and eat the whole thing!! I simply incorporate it into some of my meals and snacks. Example: I mix in the serving amount with my oatmeal or spread a tbsp or so on an apple or banana. What gives? I don't eat it everyday and I'm pretty responsible with watching the serving amount.
    Is regular peanut butter a sin? Do I need to give up my only vice when it comes to my diet? lol! Any info would help. Thanks!! :happy:

I LOVE JIF. I factor it in in small quantities. Maybe a tablespoon a day.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Take a look at my diary...I have peanut butter EVERY DAY...I've lost almost 30 pounds! :)
  • Salvi30
    Salvi30 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I love PB! Only crunchy though.. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
  • goodbyerachel
    Options
    My roommates buy peanut butter so often that when it is around - I go crazy for it (which I have always loved PB but never quite this much!) But I read that when dieting a lot of times your body craves healthy fats and so if the peanut butter is around craving that is pretty normal? I've just tried to acknowledge that and try to get my PB fix but also get in other healthy fats from almonds and avocados instead and find that I'm not craving it so much. (Though I would still, also, consider it my crack!)
  • tnystedt
    tnystedt Posts: 6
    Options
    I LOVE PEANUT BUTTER - SKIPPY LOWFAT - SMOOTH OR CRUNCHY - DEPENDING ON MY MOOD - I EAT IT WITH JUST A SPOON... Anyway, I am also new to MFP, and I am looking for friends.. I am 43, from Long Island, NY. Thanks everyone and all the best!!
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    i eat peanut butter regularly. but i try to eat peanut butter that is just ground nuts with no added sugars or oils. peanuts already have fat in them.

i try hard to watch the amount of fat i consume though, so i keep an eye on that as much as my calorie intake. and yes, i am usually over, but even still i don't consume near the fat i did before i watched it. but i am not a perfect eater by any means. i eat oreos and mcdonalds too.
  • tinabell153
    tinabell153 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Look up PB2. It's dried peanut butter that you can add water and make your own spread. It's only 45 calories per 2 tablespoons!! I've never tried it, but I'm a PB addict too and am considering buying some PB2.

http://bellplantation.com/
  • Sarahbara76
    Sarahbara76 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I would love to post a witty reply but I am in desperate need of my Dark Chocolate Dreams Peanut Butter RIGHT NOW!!!! BBL :love: :drinker: :love: :flowerforyou:
  • tnystedt
    tnystedt Posts: 6
    Options
    oh PB is such CRACK - I love it - Looking for MFP friends - if you are interested, I am 43 from NY.. Thanks and good luck!
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Jiff is FULL of all kinds of unpronouncable ingredients, though. That could be what he was going on about; I prefer the Kraft Natural Peanut Butter.

Ingredients: Peanuts, Peanut Oil.

DONE. That's it. That's all. You even have to REFRIGERATE the stuff. I take it out before my shower in the morning, then shower, get ready for my day, & then have breakfast so I can even get it to spread on my toast without melting all over!

But really, seriously though? BEST peanut butter I've ever found. EVER.
  • weighlossforbaby
    weighlossforbaby Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is not a sin and that guy is an idiot!!!! I LOOOOOVE peanut butter:heart: I like it with baby carrots for a snack:happy:
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Anything in moderation PB has protein and fats I have to admit I love it too. On occasion me and a stack of graham crackers have hid in the corner in the dark with the PB jar Jiffy Creamy. Guess who wins and looses. I really have to limit myself with PB along with a few other foods.
  • mrskooting
    Options
    I LOVE peanut butter! i eat it everyday with my toast! Don't believe the dude as long as it's in moderation! the only thing is, i can't eat Jif and Skippy anymore! i'm addicted to Trader Joe's Creamy Unsalted Peanut Butter - no hydrogenated oil. PB is a good source of protein too! I've lost 34lbs and I'm still maintaining my size2 and I eat peanut butter EVERY SINGLE DAY!!!!! goodluck to you! :)
  • kimnaaron4ever
    Options
    Hi, my name is Kim, & I too am a peanut butter addict! :love: I'm just crazy about the stuff and it actually only happened when I bought a different brand that one of my "skinny" pie recipes called for. I mean I've always "liked" peanut butter, but now I can't get enough. That brand that I bought is "Better'n Peanut Butter". It says its all natural and is 85% less fat than other peanut butter and only 100 calories in 2 Tbs. to boot! I get mine at Target or my local grocery store (Target is a little cheaper). Just thought I'd pass that along!