What to do!!!!!!

Options
Well I have a huge problem I weigh myself every morning. EVERY MORNING!!!!!!!

I know this can be an issue. I see the scale go down 1 pound a day then on the third day it goes back up to where I started 174.

Last week Monday I was 174
Wednesday I was 171.2
Thursday morning I was back at 174.........Not sure what I am doing WRONG.

Someone anyone please give me suggestions........

I know I should not weigh myself every morning but its addicting I've been like this for about a year now. Plus i cant figure out why im having problems with my weight floating.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You are definitely not eating enough, and it seems you have a lot of processed foods. Add sodium to your tracker and see how it looks. Also, at your weight/goal, you should be aiming for 1 lbs a week, maybe 1.5.
  • gseburn
    gseburn Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Yes, once a week weigh-ins would be fine... But, hows your eating, how's your exercise? Are you in a modest caloric deficit most days?
  • KathShum2012
    Options
    Hi,
    I am exactly the same. So I force myself to only weigh myself once a week, usually on Saturday morning before I have eaten a thing and after I have been to the bathroom and done #2 (hahaha). Also, I limit my sodium intake. If you have had chips or salty popcorn then you might see an increase on the scale. Don't weigh yourself a day before or during your montley cycle. These are all things that have worked for me.

Good luck.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    psulemon pretty much stole my answer. Even if you stay within your calories, some high sodium foods, especially a few days in a row, can totally throw off your weight. For example, the hubster and I got busy doing some projects around the house this weekend so I didn't have time to properly plan and prepare dinner so we ended up getting take out 3 nights in a row. I didn't do too bad calorie wise but all that sodium gave me a 4-5 pound weight increase! I've been behaving myself and pounding the water the last few days and as of this morning I was only a pound over where I should be.

Two other possible water weight related issues are TOM and an increase/change in activity. A lot of people think they must be gaining muscle when they're weight increases when they become active but what's actually happening is water retention in your muscle fibers as part of the natural healing process.

Keep at it and make sure you're drinking plenty of water to flush out the excess!
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I'm exactly like you! Watching the scale drop is addicting!

Since you are expecting the scale to drop everyday, I am ASSuming that you are eating right everyday.

Drink lots of water everyday. I read that besides the 8 glasses a day you should add another glass for every 10 lbs overweight you are. Your fluctuations could just be water weight depending on if you had alot of sodium the day before.
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I'm hooked on weighing every day too, but I try not to get upset when the number stays the same or goes up. And I try not to get TOO carried away when it goes down - I tell myself that tomorrow it will be up a bit again.

We go travelling quite often and I used to get stressed about how I was going to manage without that daily weigh-in when we're away. You know what? I've found that i do better when I don't weigh every day - but is that because we're out exploring new places, and sometimes eating erratically? Or do I try harder when I don't know what the scale said that morning?

You could try breaking the weighing habit - could you give your scales to a neighbour / relative/ friend and arrange to drop in and use them once a week?

Everyone's weight fluctuates - women's more than men's due to hormone issues. Weighing less often helps to smooth out those ups and downs. Give it a try - you can always take them back if you miss those scales too much!
  • steamyhott
    steamyhott Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    You are definitely not eating enough, and it seems you have a lot of processed foods. Add sodium to your tracker and see how it looks. Also, at your weight/goal, you should be aiming for 1 lbs a week, maybe 1.5.

How do you add sodium to your tracker....you can look at my diary and tell me what you think......im just really lost and confused with this.....grrr
  • MinnieInMaine
    Options
    Drink lots of water everyday. I read that besides the 8 glasses a day you should add another glass for every 10 lbs overweight you are. Your fluctuations could just be water weight depending on if you had alot of sodium the day before.

That's actually not too far off from the rule I heard of taking half your weight in pounds and making sure you drink that much in ounces. Say someone weighs 200 pounds, they should drink 100 ounces or 12.5 cups of water per day.

Using your guideline, I should drink at least 10 cups a day. Using mine, I should drink about 11 cups.
  • steamyhott
    Options
    Yes, once a week weigh-ins would be fine... But, hows your eating, how's your exercise? Are you in a modest caloric deficit most days?

My calorie intake in 1200 per MFP i workout every day but not the same things.....my eating well i et good on the weekdays the weekends i tend to miss breakfast and dont eat as much
  • MinnieInMaine
    Options
    How do you add sodium to your tracker....you can look at my diary and tell me what you think......im just really lost and confused with this.....grrr

Not sure how from the app but if you're on the website, go to My Home, then Settings, then Diary Settings. The top section of that page allows you to edit what's shown on your food diary for nutrients.
  • steamyhott
    Options
    Hi,
    I am exactly the same. So I force myself to only weigh myself once a week, usually on Saturday morning before I have eaten a thing and after I have been to the bathroom and done #2 (hahaha). Also, I limit my sodium intake. If you have had chips or salty popcorn then you might see an increase on the scale. Don't weigh yourself a day before or during your montley cycle. These are all things that have worked for me.

Good luck.

thank you....i have even taken my scale out of the bathroom but find myself getting it and taking it to the bathroom.....i have a problem....im obcessed i wonder if my obcession is hindering my weight loss
  • steamyhott
    Options
    AWESOME idea....i may do that :)
    I'm hooked on weighing every day too, but I try not to get upset when the number stays the same or goes up. And I try not to get TOO carried away when it goes down - I tell myself that tomorrow it will be up a bit again.

We go travelling quite often and I used to get stressed about how I was going to manage without that daily weigh-in when we're away. You know what? I've found that i do better when I don't weigh every day - but is that because we're out exploring new places, and sometimes eating erratically? Or do I try harder when I don't know what the scale said that morning?

You could try breaking the weighing habit - could you give your scales to a neighbour / relative/ friend and arrange to drop in and use them once a week?

Everyone's weight fluctuates - women's more than men's due to hormone issues. Weighing less often helps to smooth out those ups and downs. Give it a try - you can always take them back if you miss those scales too much!
  • Cathy7794
    Cathy7794 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Good luck.

thank you....i have even taken my scale out of the bathroom but find myself getting it and taking it to the bathroom.....i have a problem....im obcessed i wonder if my obcession is hindering my weight loss
    Have someone hide it from you and only give it to you on your weigh in day. I had to ask my daughter to hide mine. It was in our bathroom and I found myself stepping on it almost everytime I used the bathroom. I almost drove myself crazy. Now I weigh once a week and have no idea where the scale is.
  • betsyr13
    betsyr13 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    This is not going to be a popular answer, but if you want to weigh yourself all the time, then go ahead. I probably step on the scale 4 or 5 times a day. I like to see the patterns. Do I weigh less in the morning? How much water did I lose while running? Step on the scale over and over until you are sick of the very idea. It helps to see that your weight can vary as much as 8 pounds from 7 a.m. to midnight, depending on the sodium you eat, the water you drink, or whatever. The faster you realize that, the less personally you will take it when you see it go up a pound or an ounce. Weight fluctuates. It's nothing to freak out over. After a while, if you stick with your program, you will notice it start to trend downward, but in the meantime you will not have to let a number ruin your whole day.
  • steamyhott
    Options
    This is not going to be a popular answer, but if you want to weigh yourself all the time, then go ahead. I probably step on the scale 4 or 5 times a day. I like to see the patterns. Do I weigh less in the morning? How much water did I lose while running? Step on the scale over and over until you are sick of the very idea. It helps to see that your weight can vary as much as 8 pounds from 7 a.m. to midnight, depending on the sodium you eat, the water you drink, or whatever. The faster you realize that, the less personally you will take it when you see it go up a pound or an ounce. Weight fluctuates. It's nothing to freak out over. After a while, if you stick with your program, you will notice it start to trend downward, but in the meantime you will not have to let a number ruin your whole day.

It does not ruin my day by any means. I just need to stop weighning myself every day......i also need to figure out my eating.....i have been stuck at 174 for a year now great it has not gone up but it sucks that i am still at that weight.....and i work out so it has to be with my food.
  • timd003
    timd003 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Here is my advice.

Get off the scale except for once per week.
  • faefaith
    faefaith Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I'm exactly like you! Watching the scale drop is addicting!

Since you are expecting the scale to drop everyday, I am ASSuming that you are eating right everyday.

I've also heard that you can take your weight, divide it by 2, and that's how many ounces of water your body needs in a day.
  • steamyhott
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/steamyhott

here is the link to my food diary not good at all i thought i was doing good but maybe not...... :(
  • smiles4support
    Options
    I use to weigh EVERYDAY, if not 2-3 times. It has been tough, but I have finally got it down to once a week...My weigh days have changed a couple of days, Friday's my day now. Feel free to add me & I can help encourage you not to weigh everyday...you can do it!
  • newmommy2cash
    Options
    I would say watch the sodium and sugar intake. For myself, personally, I try to watch my carbs as well. Sodium could be making you retain a lot of water and not drinking enough water to balance that out will make you bloat. Hope I helped a little....