Is Dr. Oz a Quack?

Options

Replies

• shanchamber
    Options
    I think he's totally legit. I mean, he's a doctor on TV!

*thumbs up*
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    He actually used to be pretty good until he started all this supplement nonsense.
  • sxysantos
    sxysantos Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    He's fine if you don't worship the ground he walks on. Listen to what he says to get you started, go out and do your own research, decide if he's right. As with anything on tv, take it with a pound of salt.
    I totally agree! Research before you buy!!!
  • Ambrogio1
    Ambrogio1 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    What does everyone think about him?
    I've never given it any thought, but I have seen MFP members post things about him.

Today his facebook tip of the day was :
    Sugar free gum can help you in your battle against a slowing metabolism. Not only do you burn calories while chewing, you’ll also be less tempted to fall back on high calorie foods.

Fact and only fact I will look at.

Look at him. Does he look healthy? I think so. After that I dunno. He gets paid to have ppl watch his show
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Today his facebook tip of the day was :
    Sugar free gum can help you in your battle against a slowing metabolism. Not only do you burn calories while chewing, you’ll also be less tempted to fall back on high calorie foods.

This makes me laugh. I do chew gum to ward off the hungries. It also helps me avoid eating out of boredom. But I seriously doubt you burn a significant quantity of calories by chewing gum. Some calories? Sure. But enough to 'battle against a slowing metabolism"... yah... right.

But my opinion on the man? That can be found here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/LabRat529/view/dear-doctor-oz-rant-warning-213984
  • Mary067
    Mary067 Posts: 31
    Options
    I think he is probably a good doc, but if I was to eat ALL the things in a day that he "says" we should, I would never lose weight and if I took All the suppliments that he "say" we need to take, I would be popping pill all day long. So I really just take his stuff with a grain of salt.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Ask yourself...where does he make his money? Oh, that's right, by advertising crap on his show. And while he may not be Directly paid, his company is.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I think he's legit. But, he's now a star, he's not a doctor anymore. So, whatever that means.
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    There could be merit to that... we already know that chewing gum can curb cravings for some people. Gum + water generally tricks the body into thinking you've eaten something substantial.

To go further with that train of thought, chewing gum triggers your salivary glands to start working to aid in digestion. This may also tell your brain to kick up the metabolism as it does when you're actually eating a meal (which is why we always hear dietitians and fitness buffs recommending the 5-6 small meals a day approach to weight loss).

As for Dr. Oz... I never watch the show, but given that it's a TV talk show I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that he probably dumbs down some of his info to pander to a broader spectrum of viewers.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    My personal opinion: his contributions to medical science are as valuable as that other Oprah discovery, Dr. Phil's, are to psychology. At least "Dr." Phil no longer claims to be a psychologist. :) See:

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/index.php/for-shame-dr-oz/

Birds of a feather flock together. Quack quack quack ...
  • kmoore02
    kmoore02 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    1670139_2921.jpg

I get so sick of people that believe everything he says applies to them. He's not always right and there are so many variables to consider to be general. He does more damage than good because people hear what they want to hear and believe they are in better shape than they actually are.
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I think he used to the Wizard of Oz and we had best just ignore that man behind the curtain.
  • baby72500
    baby72500 Posts: 7
    Options
    I chew gum frequently just to keep me from munching all the time.... I sometime just want to eat even though Im not hungry, so gum gives me that chewing satisfation with out the extra calories. If I'm burning calories, Im not sure it would be enough to even worry about, but at least Im not eating more......
    Plus the mint keeps me from wanting to eat too..... ever tried drinking oj after brushing your teeth? Same thing YUCK
  • SusanleeBee
    SusanleeBee Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    He's one of the best cardiothoracic surgeons in the world, and the gum thing is a good tip, but nutrition and general practice medicine aren't his area of expertise, so I wouldn't necessarily take all of his advice without doing my own research.
  • SteffieMark
    SteffieMark Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    My mom swears by everything he recommends...and has lost zero weight in doing so. I use my mom saying Dr. Oz says something will work as an indicator to NOT buy something. =D
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I think he's totally legit. I mean, he's a doctor on TV!

Um, he really is a doctor.

Dr. Mehmet Oz
    Dr. Oz is vice-chair and professor of surgery at Columbia University.
    He directs the Cardiovascular Institute and Complementary Medicine Program at NewYork–Presbyterian Hospital.
    His research interests include heart replacement surgery, minimally invasive cardiac surgery, complementary medicine and healthcare policy.
    He has authored over 400 original publications, book chapters and medical books and has received several patents.
    He performs over 300 heart operations annually.

He also writes articles for Life Extensions which is a magazine that publishes breakthroughs in the medical industry.
  • freshprincessx
    freshprincessx Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I think he's crazy. My mom and I tried that Raspberry Ketone he was talking about and it's supposed to help you lose weight fast. In the two weeks I took it I lost five pounds. Whenever I stopped taking it, I lost almost eleven pounds in two weeks. And one of those weeks I didn't even work out. He's definitely full of it.
  • WillPowerYes
    WillPowerYes Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Chewing gum in excess is frowned upon by dentists. They have to deal with the TMJ and other problems that come from overuse of jaw muscles. Just saying.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    What do you call the person who graduated last in his medical school class? Doctor. 'nuff said. :tongue:
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    um. do i have long legs?