Eating Clean... What does this mean?

Options

Replies

• Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    If it was made in a factory then it isn't "clean". Clean typically means unprocessed.

Good luck finding unprocessed foods to eat

and

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/the-dirt-on-clean-eating/
    Damnit, would you stop trolling with your logical points and well-reasoned arguments? Take it somewhere else. Argh, I hate trolls.
  • Labriska
    Labriska Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    bump
  • strongnotskinny121
    strongnotskinny121 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    My rule of thumb is if it has more than 5 ingredients, put it back.

I made an omelet this morning with eggs, spinach, broccoli, onion, peppers, mushrooms, cheddar, tomatoes, salt and pepper.

UNKLEEN!
    Obviously the person meant in a nutrion label... sheesh

I see.

So if I make it myself, it's clean. But if I go to TJ's and buy a product with the exact same ingredients, it isn't.

Yes, I meant in the label. Obviously if you used fruits, veggies, and lean meats, it would fall under my other, and not included, comment about using whole, natural foods. But then you couldn't have made your "point," could you? Don't quote me out of context.

I don't know what "TJ's " is. If it is a restaurant, ehh, maybe it's clean, depends if it was REAL eggs, or egg substitutes. If it's a grocery store, yeah, it is probably unclean, seeing as it has been packaged to last on the shelf store for X amount of months. It has chemicals, and preservatives that your body wasn't made to handle and that you can't digest.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options

I made an omelet this morning with eggs, spinach, broccoli, onion, peppers, mushrooms, cheddar, tomatoes, salt and pepper.

UNKLEEN!

I see.

So if I make it myself, it's clean. But if I go to TJ's and buy a product with the exact same ingredients, it isn't.

Join date to post count ratio is strong. Stop nit picking what people say and go out and live your life man!
  • strongnotskinny121
    Options
    If it was made in a factory then it isn't "clean". Clean typically means unprocessed.

and

Ignore above comment, since as far as I have seen, he is a troll.

Clean eating is eating whole, natural foods. Fruits, veggies, lean meats, nuts. My rule of thumb is if it has more than 5 ingredients, put it back.

Wow! So your definition of a troll would be... someone with an informed opinion?

No, I"m all for an informed opinion, and I read the article. It was a good bit of historiography on the term. but this person doesn't always have clear and informed opinions. And the comment of not finding unprocessed foods? Try the produce sections or a farmer's market. Hmmm.....don't see any processing there!
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

UNKLEEN!

I see.

Yes, I meant in the label. Obviously if you used fruits, veggies, and lean meats, it would fall under my other, and not included, comment.

I don't know what "TJ's " is.

TJ's is Trader Joe's.
    If it is a restaurant, ehh, maybe it's clean, depends if it was REAL eggs, or egg substitutes. If it's a grocery store, yeah, it is probably unclean, seeing as it has been packaged to last on the shelf store for X amount of months. It has chemicals, and preservatives that your body wasn't made to handle and that you can't digest.

ONOEZ CHEMICALS!

So I'm guessing this is unclean:
    Water, glucose, fructose, galactose, phenolic glycosides, 6-deoxyaldohexoses (fuctose and rhamnose), saccharose, galacturonans, (1-4) linked D-galactopiranuronic acid, pectin, pectinic acids, polygalacturonic acids, pectinestarase, Citric Acid, L-Malic Acid, D-Isocitric Acid, Oxalic Acid, Succinic Acid, Malonic Acid, Quinic Acid, Tartaric Acid, Adipic Acid, 2-ketogluratic Acid, praline, asparagines, aspartic acid, serine...
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

and

Ignore above comment, since as far as I have seen, he is a troll.

Clean eating is eating whole, natural foods. Fruits, veggies, lean meats, nuts. My rule of thumb is if it has more than 5 ingredients, put it back.

Wow! So your definition of a troll would be... someone with an informed opinion?

No, I"m all for an informed opinion, and I read the article. It was a good bit of historiography on the term. but this person doesn't always have clear and informed opinions. And the comment of not finding unprocessed foods? Try the produce sections or a farmer's market. Hmmm.....don't see any processing there!

Who are you to say that his opinions are unclear or uninformed? He has posted extensive scientific data on many subjects and I trust his rationale and logic implicitly. I don't see where you offered anything to support your opinions. He offered a different view to the OP than the 'clean-eating' propaganda and you discredited him for no other reason than that.
  • reneegee23
    reneegee23 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    UGH SEMANTICS
  • LALOCHA34
    LALOCHA34 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    My understanding is in order to eat 'clean' one must become a farmer of everything you plan to consume requiring you to plant, grow, harvest and prepare your own food, organically, cage free and unprocessed of course.

It all seems silly to me. I am not saying anyone who eats 'clean' is silly. That is simply how I feel.

I eat fresh fruits, veggies, meats, nuts etc...but I take short cuts with canned products now and again. Don't tell anyone.:glasses:

Good luck figuring this all out and to each their own, right! :smile:
  • ElleBee615
    ElleBee615 Posts: 177
    Options
    Who knew when I clicked on this post regarding eating clean....I would be so entertained. :laugh:
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Who are you to say that his opinions are unclear or uninformed? He has posted extensive scientific data on many subjects and I trust his rationale and logic implicitly. I don't see where you offered anything to support your opinions. He offered a different view to the OP than the 'clean-eating' propaganda and you discredited him for no other reason than that.

I see what you are saying, but to be fair, in this particular post all he has delivered is a few "zings" and witty one-liners. I can't say that I've noticed him on here before, so I don't know what he has contributed in other posts on this site. Maybe if he had done the same here, more people would be willing to listen to his point of view. Instead, it's kind of emabarassing to read his posts. Yet...I cannot look away lol

He only posted once in this thread. And I think the zingers and one-liners are probably out of frustration for having to regurgitate the same information over and over. Besides... I think he went back to work a long time ago! LOL!

Oh wait...I think we might be talking about different people....
    ETA: I am not referring to acg
  • NathanJ79
    NathanJ79 Posts: 36
    Options
    So many opinions on other members and their opinions... is it necessary? Will some of you judge me? Either way, my opinion is that eating clean is just what most have touched on, natural ingredients. But the more you define something, the less it can fit a more general description. In other words, you're taking it for your own, and owning it, by putting your own spin on it.

For meat, I think if the animal was mistreated or fed growth hormones, that's for PETA to worry about. I don't think it makes the actual meat (e.g. steak, chicken breast) unnatural. It's not exactly like preservatives. Is a chicken less a chicken because of what it ate? Are you less a person because you ate a chocolate bar? See? Silly. Ditto for milk and dairy.

If you didn't grow/harvest/slaughter it yourself, it's probably been treated. This has benefits, too.

Can we just please drop the absolute of "Clean" living and call it "Cleaner" living? That way we're not preaching to the absolute. We don't have to be cleaner than somebody's standards or their link or their copied/pasted rules. We just have to be cleaner than we were before. If we choose to go that route. I myself reject it for now. For now, I believe food is food. "Cleaner living" meals may have fewer calories per ounce and thus be more filling, but for now, I can afford to eat boxed meals and still be under goal.

For me it is a slow transition. Before MFP, I would eat seconds and thirds. I'm still eating disgustingly awesome food, just less of it. Later, I will transition to cleaner awesome foods, but I haven't reached that point yet. But you know what I have done? Average of 2 pounds lost per week in the 13-14 weeks I've been here. So I am doing something right, I suppose.
  • strongnotskinny121
    Options

ONOEZ CHEMICALS!

Water, glucose, fructose, galactose, phenolic glycosides, 6-deoxyaldohexoses (fuctose and rhamnose), saccharose, galacturonans, (1-4) linked D-galactopiranuronic acid, pectin, pectinic acids, polygalacturonic acids, pectinestarase, Citric Acid, L-Malic Acid, D-Isocitric Acid, Oxalic Acid, Succinic Acid, Malonic Acid, Quinic Acid, Tartaric Acid, Adipic Acid, 2-ketogluratic Acid, praline, asparagines, aspartic acid, serine...

Umm, what about any of that says CLEAN, besides the very first ingredient, water?

I fail to understand why you are even posting in this thread. The original OP asked for a definition. If you don't have a definition for the OP, why are you here? Do you really feel your negativity is adding to the conversation?
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

ONOEZ CHEMICALS!

Umm, what about any of that says CLEAN, besides the very first ingredient, water?

I fail to understand why you are even posting in this thread. The original OP asked for a definition. If you don't have a definition for the OP, why are you here? Do you really feel your negativity is adding to the conversation?

That's the (partial) chemical composition of an Orange.
  • LioshaM
    LioshaM Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    WOW, thanks Guys

I'm almost overwhelmed by the responses. Will have to "digest" all of the responses in light of my personal goals for me and my family. Thanks!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh:
  • Glucocorticoid
    Options

:laugh: :laugh:
    That's why you need to wash them oranges real well, to get rid of those dirty unclean chemicals.
  • strongnotskinny121
    Options
    Oh wait...I think we might be talking about different people....
    ETA: I am not referring to acg

I was defending acg because someone called him a troll! :noway:

OHHHHHHH.....communucation FAIL (on my part) oops!

No, acg is definitely not a troll. His delivery is not all cute with a cherry on top, but def not a troll =)
    [/quote]
  • toddx318
    toddx318 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hope you feel like a big man now. Everyone else will just see you as the *kitten* you really are. :)
    He's one of the few in this thread using any logic at all....mean or not, logic is logic.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Options
    Hope you feel like a big man now. Everyone else will just see you as the *kitten* you really are. :)
    He's one of the few in this thread using any logic at all....mean or not, logic is logic.
    From what I've read, most people acknowledge that the definition is subjective. There's just a certain few who seem to disagree.