Can you make exercise fun?

Options
Exercise has never been my cup of tea, but I just got rollerblades for my birthday (yes, like a 12 year old boy), and I am loving it! What do you do to make it less awful?

Replies

• Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Run, hike, and walk with friends--I love exercise, but it's more fun with other people :)
  • Sweetie_Pie92
    Sweetie_Pie92 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I take classes at my local athletic club. Pilates, yoga, zumba, swimming every night. I used to hate exercise, but now it's just routine. I actually love it!
  • SteveO5198
    SteveO5198 Posts: 16
    Options
    Workout with a friend and mix it up so you don't get bored with it! :)
  • mtneerjk81
    mtneerjk81 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Basketball twice per week and as much tennis as I can play! The pounds just keep melting away and I'm having a great time.
  • grayprae
    grayprae Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I do the Wii dance games they a blast and it doesn't even feel like exercise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I also walk at the track with a fun playlist on my ipod
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    You're NEVER too old for rollerblades! :drinker:

If you don't have them already though, I highly recommend the wrist guards. Seems to be the most common injury (and every time I ever wiped out I threw out my hands to catch myself and was damned glad I had them!).

To answer your question...I mix things up constantly, but I really like riding my bike with my husband or girlfriends. There are some great bike paths in my general area so we like to take a long ride somewhere for lunch then burn the calories off on the way back!
  • TaintedVampyre
    TaintedVampyre Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    It's just about finding something you would enjoy doing.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Suspension trainer!
  • sandy2006
    sandy2006 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Zumba is so fun when doing it in a class with lots of other people.
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    ZUMBA! Exercise in disguise!!
  • still_crafty
    still_crafty Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I recently started running and I've found that the 20 minutes or so that I do it for before my strength routine really gets my mind wandering, helps me sort crap out and kinda cleans out all the garbage from the day. It has quickly become something that I look forward to. I'm actually watching the clock right now . . . 15 minutes until I get to leave the office and go run . . .
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    For me, it's running. Putting my music on loud, and getting out around the neighbourhood.

My fiance is morbidly obese and we've been trying to find something he'll do for years, and just last week he discovered he loves tennis. I've been along and I like it for the fitness and social aspect, but it doesn't give me the same sense of identity running does.

I've seen a few adults rollerblading lately. I used to blade as a young teen. I loved my blades, and was out on them every evening with my friend. Now, the idea terrifies me. I used to blade on tarmac surfaces with hundreds of little stones, and have no idea how I didn't fall!
  • lizziem90
    lizziem90 Posts: 22
    Options
    Although I like the gym its good to have hobbies that don't make you think GYM. I go skiing - just learning to plough - parallel! Try it on an average 3 hour sesh you burn 1000 cals yeah you get sweaty but its cold and fun. If adventure sport is not your thing you should try classes with a buddy or something you need to find something that you like. I am going to try silks and lyra (acrobatics) something fun and unusual.
  • sheepysaccount
    sheepysaccount Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Walking with music late at night, walking with "fight" music and making up stories as I go, finding a sports course that's fun (aqua fitness in my case), exercising with friends.
  • cadillacfrank
    cadillacfrank Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Exercise has never been my cup of tea, but I just got rollerblades for my birthday (yes, like a 12 year old boy), and I am loving it! What do you do to make it less awful?

I despise the treadmill, so I found something I really like doing.

I go bowling. Usually with just 1 or 2 friends. 2 hrs burns 800-1000 calories.

With bowling, you gotta keep getting up and playing, unlike when you're with a big group and spending most of your time sitting between turns, chatting and having a beer and/or nachos :)
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    - Switched to riding my bike to work when I can (28-mile round trip in fairly hilly terrain). Its so much nicer than driving the car - even in the rain. And the 1,400 calories a day come in really handy!

- Hike, bicycle, walk, or do something for the sheer joy of doing it. Exercise with stuff like that is a secondary effect.

- And on the days when I can do nothing but 45 minutes on the boring elliptical - enjoy the additional food I can eat with the earned exercise calories all the more (and choose them all the more wisely) for the sacrifice that went into them. Music helps.
  • tesskb328
    tesskb328 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I always tried to get into a kickboxing class or a spin class at my local gym. They were the best ideas and lately Zumba is sounding really intriguing. I would just keep it switched up and every now and then take it outside.
  • Cortbear80
    Cortbear80 Posts: 23
    Options
    I love to work out with friends. It doesn't have to be going to the gym everyday. My friends and I like to hike so we go to the nearest hiking trails and just talk while we walk. it goes by so fast and we love it! We are by a military base so this hiking trail has obstical courses that we love to do also. Having fun while you work out makes it easier to lose the weight :)
  • steph124ny
    steph124ny Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Tae Kwon Do.....So much fun!! And it makes me feel like a badass!
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Golf. Walk the course. If you walk 18 holes and have a push cart, you're going to burn between 1000-2000 calories.