Energy Drinks

Options
TheTrimTim
TheTrimTim Posts: 222 Member
Hey, this may be a stupid question but how bad are energy drinks like Red Bull and Monster? I believe the 'full fat' versions are loaded with sugar but the 'lite' versions can have 50 calories or less. Should such drinks be avoided at all costs? Or do they have their place on helping boost energy?

Replies

• Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Hey, this may be a stupid question but how bad are energy drinks like Red Bull and Monster? I believe the 'full fat' versions are loaded with sugar but the 'lite' versions can have 50 calories or less. Should such drinks be avoided at all costs? Or do they have their place on helping boost energy?

Well I'm pretty sure they don't contain any fat whatsoever - even the full fat ones! They are empty calories in that they contain no protein and no complex carbs, and the caffeine 'boost' before a workout is a minute benefit at best

That said I flippin love them! So I put them in my 'treat' category, and only have one when I really want to.
  • bluegrasschica
    Options
    I don't know about red bull and monster but l just bought the v8 vfusion energy drinks today. They are only 50 calories plus you get a full serving of fruit and veggie juice. Win Win! Ha!
  • goodbyerachel
    Options
    I don't know about many types specifically but have been told to look at the amount of sugar content in those types of drinks and serving size - a lot say only x calories which looks good but one bottle could end up being 3 servings so you need to read the label accordingly.
  • MikeyD1280
    MikeyD1280 Posts: 5,257
    Options
    when I was doing rock climbing hardcore,

I drank an energy drink called Krank'd... that is some real powerful stuff, rich in B vitamins, the ones that give energy
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    http://www.screamingenergy.com/nutrition.php

This site should help you a bit, don't know how true it is but it is something.
    My favorite ones are the green tea energy drinks,
    I know they don't have much benefit other then keeping my awake.
  • Karalopolous
    Karalopolous Posts: 574
    Options
    I don't think they're that bad, I mean they have caffeine but so does coffee. I just won't drink the full sugar ones bc of the sugar.
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Redbull has about the same amount of caffeine in it as a cup of coffee...

I drank an energy drink one day called Red Line...I was warned to only drink half...I drank the full thing and had to go home for the day. I was shaking like crazy. I tried to use the bathroom and I pissed all over the stall. It was awful.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    Give me a sugar free red bull on a hot day over coffee anyday.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    While not healthy, I haven't cut out sugar free redbull or rockstar!
  • Tannedtiffers
    Tannedtiffers Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I like SF RedBull, Monster Rehab tea+lemonade, and Redline Princess

all with 30 calories or less
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    I am pretty addicted to them right now. I have to have one a day. The ones I am currently drinking only have 20 calories and 3gs sugar. So far no really bad side effects. :drinker:
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options

I "occasionally" drink a sugar free red bull when I absolutely do not have any energy for a LIFT...for runs...I do not take anything...but good ole fashion carb loading
  • jmllmj
    jmllmj Posts: 12
    Options
    My trainer told me that most of the bad rep they get is, in his words, horse sh**. As long as that isn't all that you're drinking you should be fine. My favorite is Monster Absolute Zero. I have one every now and again.
  • Lando_pr
    Lando_pr Posts: 36
    Options
    I am so addicted to this stuff. I've tried to quit but, since I don't like coffee, it's been hard. I drink Monster Low Carb. Have heard a lot of people saying it's bad for me. Still haven't heard one with a convincing argument though.
    I'd say to stay away from anything that you'll need after a while, so if you don't use them don't start. You could have one occasionally when needed but that's about it. Even if you choose the no sugar version, you'll crash.
  • BigRich822
    BigRich822 Posts: 681
    Options
    They are about the worst thing that you can put into your body. Hope that Helps
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I like Monster Rehab Tea+Lemonade. 20 cals in the whole can. I have one a day. I do drink a ton of water throughout the day, though. I usually have it around 3:00.
  • brokenartist
    brokenartist Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I drank an energy drink one day called Red Line...I was warned to only drink half...I drank the full thing and had to go home for the day. I was shaking like crazy. I tried to use the bathroom and I pissed all over the stall. It was awful.

Ive had that one before, I drank the whole thing but half in the morning and half after lunch...i liked it but I fully understand the shaking part, i was almost there but not quite because they were spaced out enough
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options

Ive had that one before, I drank the whole thing but half in the morning and half after lunch...i liked it but I fully understand the shaking part, i was almost there but not quite because they were spaced out enough

Yeah it wasn't spaced out for me at all. I knocked it out in about 2 minutes...it was the worst feeling I've ever had without being sick or injured. I'm not even sure they make that stuff anymore and I can see why.
  • AsaraFuriosa
    AsaraFuriosa Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I have chronic fatigue because of my Fibro. I've taken some sort of energy supplements ever since I can remember from caffeine pills to all kinds of energy drinks. That being said, after I changed to a healthy lifestyle, I've found 5 Hour Energy to be the best for me now. I drink nothing but water so half of that little bottle does it for me all day!! $$ saver!! :happy:
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about Red Bull besides that it's primarily a marketing scheme, not a product they manufacture (there was an interesting discussion about it on Secrets of the Superbrands on the BBC), Rockstar has sketchy ties to Michael Savage and the Paul Revere Society. Don't know anything about Monster.

If I need a boost, I'll go for coconut water or just mix little juice in sparkling water or something or just get an ice coffee, no milk.
    I get jttery with a simple coffee so I've never needed other energy drinks.