Best VEGAN protein powder?

Options
AzhureSnow
AzhureSnow Posts: 289 Member
I'm considering adding a protein shake on the days I do strength training, now that I'm shifting my focus from only "fat loss" to muscle building as well. There are SO many protein powders on the market, it's dizzying. What's the best, in your opinion or experience, vegan protein powder for a woman? If it matters, I'd probably mix it with almond milk.

Replies

• Brengild
    Brengild Posts: 127
    Options
    I use hemp protein. Mix it in my smoothies with fruit, greek yogurt and almond or coconut milk. Depending on your fruit it has a funny green color but no real flavor. Kinda grassy(no pun intended)!
  • AzhureSnow
    AzhureSnow Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I use hemp protein. Mix it in my smoothies with fruit, greek yogurt and almond or coconut milk. Depending on your fruit it has a funny green color but no real flavor. Kinda grassy(no pun intended)!

Is there a particular brand you'd suggest?
  • HealthfulLife
    HealthfulLife Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Try Sun Warrior Protein powder, a vegan powder that offers a few flavors. Some flavors are better than others, so try a few out! You can find it on amazon if you are looking for a better bargain!
  • Brengild
    Brengild Posts: 127
    Options
    Bob's Red Mill, its usually in the same area with flour etc.
  • JamCubeChi
    JamCubeChi Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • tat2oodmonster
    Options
    PLANTFUSION you buy it online or its available in some states at whole foods..best ever...
  • Bunnybeesweet
    Bunnybeesweet Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Best taste? Best overall nutrition? Most versatile? Best price?
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I always add my protein to smoothies with other fruits so I'm not overly concerned with taste, just how well it mixes. If I use a powder at home it's Genuine Health Vegan+. I think this may only be in Canada but I'm not sure. When I worked at a health food store I got it at a good price, like the company, like the product. If I'm out I'll do soy or rice. If I was buying one again I'd probably go with an unflavoured rice since I get a lot of soy from tofu and edamame. A lot of flavoured ones are sweetened which I don't really need since I add fruit to it anyway.

To give you some info- the Genuine Health Vegan + is a mix of pea, rice, hemp, alfalfa, and cranberry seed protein. However most of the protein comes from pea protein. It has 20g of protein/scoop. It is flavoured so there's some stevia in it. I mix it isn't too frothy but not chalky, even though there is some hemp protein in it.
  • hem8787
    hem8787 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm searching for this as well. I'm shifting my focus towards vegan protein powders since I want a cholesterol free protein powder. Whatever you do, do not buy Trader Joe's Soy Protein Powder. It it so disgusting. I'm returning it today. It was so bad I literally had to spit it out. I couldn't even swallow it!
  • Kymmy81
    Kymmy81 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I would second Sunwarrior - it's at the upper end of the scale price wise (for a rice protein) but it's also at the upper end of the scale for taste and smoothness. Rice protein can be really chalky, but I find that not to be the case with Sunwarrior.

I use a pea protein as well, but I'm in Australia so I'm not sure if a brand-specific recommendation would be helpful in this case!
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I agree, the rice protein powder I buy is pretty chalky. I'll have see about ordering Sunwarrior next time.
  • MacSkillz
    MacSkillz Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Plant Fusion all the way!!
  • zewolf77
    zewolf77 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    We've been using NOW Spirulina powder. It works well.. but be careful on the dosage. Too much and everything tastes kind of fishy as it's derived from seaweed/kelp.
  • kaila666
    kaila666 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    VEGA best protein chocolate with almond milk good.Guy that made is a vegan u could just drink it all day and u would be good!!
  • sarahsxt
    sarahsxt Posts: 66
    Options
    SunWarrior protein is a very good vegan protein powder.

However - I love VegaOne Nutrition Shake the best. Yes it's a nutrition shake as opposed to a protein powder, but it covers your protein and all sorts of other needs like greens, probiotics, vitamins, etc.! Most importantly - it tastes delicious! I can drink it alone and it tastes like chocolate milk. Check out their website!
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    VEGA best protein chocolate with almond milk good.Guy that made is a vegan u could just drink it all day and u would be good!!

Have you checked the sodium content in this brand? I bought it then read the label and returned it right after. It is insane.
  • brooke432
    brooke432 Posts: 17
    Options
    Garden of Life - Raw Protein Powder. Best ever. It's vegan and also raw (if you couldn't tell by the name ;) Blends well and tastes good with greens.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Now Sports pea protein. Hands down! 28 g protein, 130 calories, inexpensive.
  • reyopo
    reyopo Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Garden of Life - Raw Protein Powder. Best ever. It's vegan and also raw (if you couldn't tell by the name ;) Blends well and tastes good with greens.

Seconded. My doc recommended it for me, and I haven't looked back.