Is this much exercise really any good?

Options
I have a running "discussion" with a friend. I don't think you should workout 5 days a week for 3 hrs, doing the same thing every time. I think muscles need rest in-between. Is 3 hrs doing the same things really any better than just 1hr working different areas each day?

Replies

• lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I have a running "discussion" with a friend. I don't think you should workout 5 days a week for 3 hrs, doing the same thing every time. I think muscles need rest in-between. Is 3 hrs doing the same things really any better than just 1hr working different areas each day?

3 hours a day is excessive - unless you are a professional athlete or training for a marathon it's just not necessary to work out 3 hours in one day!
  • ilovegreg05
    ilovegreg05 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Yes, and no. Most likely doing that you'll spin tires but still burn calories.

The important thing is to set a goal and do exactly what you need to do to hit that goal. Strength training time doesn't matter, it's what you do that does.

Would I spend 3hours a day in the gym? Hell no. I get in, lift more weight than I did the previous week and get out.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I would love to have the life where I could workout 3 hrs/day IF I wanted to! It's a little excessive to me. I bore easily so I'm always changing things. I've HEARD that your body does become accustomed to routine and will stop progressing but I'm sure someone can clarify that.
  • HealthfulLife
    HealthfulLife Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I also believe that 3 hours a day is a bit much, especially if you do the same routine day in and day out. Agreed with above, unless you are training for a marathon etc etc. I get so bored so easily when it comes to exercise so I try not to do the same exercise more than once a week. Your body needs a challenge and by doing the same routine day after day it will adapt to this and you will no longer see progress. Your body will eventually plateau until you give it something different to work toward!