Replies

• pinklily905
    pinklily905 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Saving for later
  • mandi2r
    mandi2r Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried them yet.. but I know most pharmacies carry it as well, usually in the vitamin section.
  • Javibi
    Javibi Posts: 2
    Options
    The gel like thing also helps convert carbohydrates in to sugar
  • Reesecup312
    Reesecup312 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Bump!!
  • ahfeather
    ahfeather Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Saw these chia seed recipes for salad dressing today and put them on my list to try. The gel-ed up chia seeds with water replace the oil.

Asian Chia Seed Salad Dressing
    http://www.cookingquinoa.net/asian-chia-seed-salad-dressing

Balsamic Vinegar Dressing
    http://www.cookingquinoa.net/balsamic-vinegar-dressing
  • lisayvonne
    lisayvonne Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • supamommax3
    supamommax3 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I sprinkle mine on salads and they do not gel up yucky or anything , I add them to my yogurt as well . :) Great thread !
  • Cmandy67
    Cmandy67 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    great topic
  • piratesaregrand
    piratesaregrand Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I chuck a tablespoon or two into any baking I'm doing
  • Gt3ch
    Gt3ch Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Cha cha cha chia!!

I like chia fresca or dumping some into a protein smoothie.
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    Soaking them and using in pancakes is one of my faves
  • leslieanne1010
    leslieanne1010 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    bump
  • heidi5k
    heidi5k Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I've made some yummy Chia "Jam". Just take a cup or so of fresh fruit (I've used blackberries and blueberries), mash them up, and add about a TBSP of chia seeds. Let it hang out in the fridge for 30 minutes or so. (Oh - I added a packet of stevia and a little lemon as well.) Makes a great, nutritious spread. As a matter of fact, I think I'll make some more tomorrow!

I also made a savory spread with chia. I pureed some lightly sauteed peppers, onions and garlic in my food processor, added some salt, pepper, chili powder (probably some other spices that I forget...) and then added chia. It made a kind of condiment (but with lots more nutritional value than ketchup!) that i used on turkey and cheese sandwiches, egg sandwiches, etc.

I made chocolate chia pudding too, but that experience taught me that you CAN eat too many chia seeds. :)
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    I have them and I don't like the slimey part of using them in my drinks, I don't so slime, yuk.
    But if you are diabetic then they work wonders, they keep the carbs from turning to sugar so fast and causing your sugar to spike.

I should use them every morning, or even at every meal, But alas i don't.
  • suzu_2
    suzu_2 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • karmah2771
    karmah2771 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have been putting ground chia seeds in my greek yogurt. Grinding them helps with textural issues, but there is no nutritional benefit difference between ground or whole. Grinding also helps with picky eaters as it's easier to incorporate into things (they don't see the seeds, lol).

I found the chia seeds at my regular grocery store. Try the organic or health food aisles where they have flours, flax, etc. It was about $9-something for a full bag. We bought the seeds whole and used a coffee grinder to grind them.
  • Spamee
    Spamee Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I love Chia Seeds, I get mine at Costco. bump
  • boweed70
    boweed70 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Check out www.pbfingers.com
    She loves Chia seeds and incorporates them into several recipes, one of which is Overnight Oats. I have become a huge fan of her website and quick, easy, nutritious breakfasts.... like Overnight Oats.
  • _SASX_
    _SASX_ Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I've been using chia seeds for about 2 weeks. I really like them. I mix them with yogurt or with lemon water. There are a lot of informational sites out there that can tell you all about the chia seed. It's a real superhero kinda thing. Needs a cape.
  • heidi5k
    heidi5k Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Check out www.pbfingers.com
    She loves Chia seeds and incorporates them into several recipes, one of which is Overnight Oats. I have become a huge fan of her website and quick, easy, nutritious breakfasts.... like Overnight Oats.

Thanks for the link to PBFingers! Looks like a great site.