What are some high-sodium foods that surprised you?

Options
AKA, "What are some foods you enjoy eating, but then discovered were LOADED with sodium!?"

I'm on a severely strict sodium diet...and well....it's a shame so many great tasting foods are loaded with sodium :-/

Replies

• LaLaB0
    LaLaB0 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Canned soups still floor me. I miss my tomato soup!
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Cheese!!
  • kasebrad
    kasebrad Posts: 61 Member
    Options

This! I used to eat canned soup all the time. Lunch meat is another one that surprised me - even the "low sodium" varieties!
  • kasebrad
    kasebrad Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Oh, I forgot to mention this - there's an organic brand at Kroger called Health Valley that carries soups REALLY low in sodium. Like, around or under 100mg for the entire can. They have tomato too!
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Cheese, bread and tortillas.... also the idea that vegetables have sodium, although not high numbers, it did surprise me.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Oh, I forgot to mention this - there's an organic brand at Kroger called Health Valley that carries soups REALLY low in sodium. Like, around or under 100mg for the entire can. They have tomato too!

Seriously hate low sodium/light soup. Pretty much has no flavor to it :( I tried Light Progresso Chicken Noodle and I thought it was water and noodles w/ vegetables. Pretty gross.

I thought bread has a suprising amount of sodium in it. I never really realized it before. Even the low cal brands still have a lot in it. Oh and those 98% fat free turkey/ham slices have TONS of sodium. I picked up some a couple weeks ago, it was so salty, I just had to throw it away. I stick with the regular now.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

Seriously hate low sodium/light soup. Pretty much has no flavor to it :( I tried Light Progresso Chicken Noodle and I thought it was water and noodles w/ vegetables. Pretty gross.

I thought bread had a suprising amount of sodium in it. I never really realized it before. Even the low cal brands still have a lot in it. Oh and those 98% fat free turkey/ham slices have TONS of sodium. I picked up some a couple weeks ago, it was so salty, I just had to throw it away. I stick with the regular now.
  • celticmuse
    celticmuse Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Rotisserie chicken 300-650 mg. This is my mainstay for lunch salads. I had no idea it had so much sodium in it.
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Cottage Cheese for sure.
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Pace picante sauce !!!
  • tigerlily8045
    tigerlily8045 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Plain ol tomato sauce. Unless you get the no added salt variety, holy smokes its loaded.
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,957 Member
    Options
    Pre-packaged deli sliced turkey has more than i thought
  • Skeena4
    Skeena4 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Taco seasoning... don't know why it surprised me so much, but I loved tacos! Damn you Old El Paso!! Hahaha
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Cheese, bread and canned fish. I love tuna but so high and if I can find the no salt added it is so nasty. I love salt wish it loved me back.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

I can tolerate Progresso Light soups. Healthy Choice is low sodium choice that tastes like water to me.

I couldn't get over the amount of sodium and cold cuts, either.
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Turkey!!!! SO much sodium!!!! D:
  • newfette81
    newfette81 Posts: 185
    Options
    salsa. I used to use it on everything! I mean its a measly 15 calories for a tbsp but when you add those up over the day holy kamoly!
  • mfp_junkie
    mfp_junkie Posts: 359
    Options
    Subway. Holy smokes, one lunch there blows up my day. I rarely eat there anymore. Sodium is my worst food tracking issue. So hard to stay under.
  • VeggieFace
    VeggieFace Posts: 56
    Options
    Canned soups, and pickles. I already knew pickles were high in sodium, but didn't know they were THAT high. Half a pickle=250mg. I could easily eat 2-3 whole ones, not so good.
  • JediMaster_intraining
    JediMaster_intraining Posts: 903 Member
    Options

I thought bread had a suprising amount of sodium in it. I never really realized it before. Even the low cal brands still have a lot in it. Oh and those 98% fat free turkey/ham slices have TONS of sodium. I picked up some a couple weeks ago, it was so salty, I just had to throw it away. I stick with the regular now.

I used to love tomato soup with a ham and cheese toasted sandwich! Now that's a combination of sodium I wish I could eat! Yeah I don't like light soups either! Meh! I agree with you about the lunch meat too. I can't even eat it anymore since it's so salty.