I can't eat enough

Options
So according to this tool I should be eating 1200 calories per day, more if I exercise. But as it is I can barely eat the full 1200.

Today for example,

I have 60g of Special K + banana

lunch was a chicken breast and a jacket potato with salad on the side ( which admittedly I mostly pushed around my plate until finally forcing it in) and some lighter than light mayo.

I had a yoghurt for desert and an orange later.

Come dinner time, I am not hungry. not even at all. But I sit down and force myself to eat some grilled diced steak in a baguette with grilled mushrooms and a bit of gravy.

It's still not enough even if I add in my cup of tea.

I might burst! What am I doing wrong?

Replies

• Sleepisam
    Sleepisam Posts: 24
    Options
    I'm sat here trying to force in some green tea sorbet and worrying my wii fit is going to yell at me in the morning for being such a pig!
  • danicababy
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it...if your body is telling you that you are getting enough food already then don't worry about it. Everyone is different and everyone has different needs.
  • bigpenguin570
    bigpenguin570 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    What about adding some healthy fats to your daily intake? Like nuts & nut spreads, some olive oil etc. This can add more calories without too much more food wise!
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    I feel the same some times because I eat so much protein, and most food high in protein is low in calories, but if i eat more carbs one day I hit my limit
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    Try some high natural fat/calorie options like nute. 1/3 cup of almonds is 290 calories and is really next to nothing when you look at the serving. Avocados are another good filler that is good fo you.

Do you have a large amount of weight to lose?
  • Sleepisam
    Options
    Thanks! I do find it odd to force myself to eat. I have other saying... never miss a meal, if you go below your calories then you go into starvation mode and I feel like I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't. :ohwell:
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    If you're worried that you can't get enough calories, why are you eating things like chicken breast and sorbet instead of beef and ice cream? You eat low-calorie foods and then you're surprised that your calories are low.
  • iwantahealthierme13
    iwantahealthierme13 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Probably too much protein. Protein keeps you full longer which is why you're not hungry for dinner

You may also not be eating enough in general, it sounds counter-intuitive but if you don't eat enough your body gets used to what you are feeding it and isn't hungry... if you eat more you probably will be more hungry
  • Sleepisam
    Options
    I've actually started snacking on grilled chicken because I'd rather take in protein than carbs or sugars where possible. Nuts I haven't tried so I might give them a go.

I had beef Elizabeth, and I can't have ice cream sadly as I'm lactose intollerant. It isn't just about the calories of course. I can't just fill myself with fats and sugars to hit my target either. Or can I?
  • Sleepisam
    Options
    Probably too much protein. Protein keeps you full longer which is why you're not hungry for dinner

You may also not be eating enough in general, it sounds counter-intuitive but if you don't eat enough your body gets used to what you are feeding it and isn't hungry... if you eat more you probably will be more hungry

Should I just persist then and try to get my body into a routine?
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    dip a spoon in a jar of peanut butter a few times.......boom.............400 calories
  • aswieser
    aswieser Posts: 19
    Options
    I have the same problem! I'm 5'0'' and usually get in about 900 calories a day (well, I had dinner at Applebee's today so I went over 1200 for the first time ever) I eat breakfast, lunch, dinner, and at least two snacks every day and still can't make 1200. I don't want to eat unhealthy things just to bring my count up, but I don't feel hungry. My meals looks similar to yours. Usually special k or egg for breakfast and lean meat and veggies for dinner with some variable fruits/vegetables/sandwich/etc in the middle. When I finish my day I always get the red words at the bottom that tell me I'm eating too few calories. All the people and research say 1200 calories minimum and I'd like to lose weight so when I exercise I burn 200-300 too. I'm interested to see if anyone has any good input. This is something I think about often as well.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    There are a ton of threads like this. Unless you are very small (under 5') and small frame, you probably have already slowed down your metabolism ("starvation mode") by not eating enough on a regular basis. Check out the threads and "sticky" postings with topics like Eat More to Weigh Less.

You probably need to increase the amount you eat slowly, but you can add some calories by eating "whole" versions of food rather than "lighter than light". Add some cheese, butter or sour cream to your potato, some avocado to your salad. Your cup of tea won't add calories unless you drink it with sugar or honey, so it's just filling you up (although drinking for hydration is important). Don't eat "diet" foods. Instead of Special K, try some toast and fruit.

Try small changes. You don't want to end up eating too much or too many unhealthy foods.
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    dip a spoon in a jar of peanut butter a few times.......boom.............400 calories

THIS and not just because I loveeeee peanut butter either :tongue:
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I know I will probably get flamed for this but considering that I got fat after eating more than I wanted to (eating chips, donuts when I wasn't even remotely hungry) I now listen to my body. I eat slowly, stop eating if I feel satisfied. Sometimes that means eating less than 1200, sometimes it means eating over 2,000 (my recommended is 1700).

I got to being obese by overeating, I'm not overeating just to reach some number even after my body is telling me its satisfied.

PS. While I know little about ED, I don't think eating 1200 or little under means I'm going anorexic
  • Sleepisam
    Options
    Exactly aswieser!

I walk about 30-40 minutes a day going to and from work and on 5 days of the week play 30 minutes of table tennis, so the exercise stacks up and on Friday I start aqua aerobics. So my calorie intake needs to go up then too.

I'm having a banana everyday because they're higher in calories than other fruits with better sugars too.

I'm starting to understand why some people go on those milkshake diets. Doing it this way, you need a degree just to figure a way through this weight loss maze.

I'm currently 13 stone so about 82.5kg and 5'6 inches in height. I want to lose about 2 stone max.
  • angelashay42
    angelashay42 Posts: 286
    Options
    That doesn't sound like much food. If you're taller than 5'1", you should be eating at least 1200 cals per day. Maybe it's psychological. When you're trying hard to lose weight, you talk yourself out of being hungry... whether you realize it or not. Have you ever felt disappointed or disgusted in yourself and lost your appetite? It's like that, but subconscious. Focus on feeling better about yourself, you might find you have a better appetite.

Also, exercise makes you hungrier. You can eat things healthy but high in calories. ie: Peanut butter, avocados, whole wheat pasta, brown rice, etc.
  • fitacct
    fitacct Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I've had the same problem, especially now that I'm in maintenance mode and my calories are upped to 1490. I've found that adding healthy fats such as low-sodium peanut butter and avocado really helps in hitting my calorie target. At times, I drink half a bottle of Ensure, which gives me the added benefit of vitamins and minerals. Best wishes to you!
  • Sleepisam
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice guys. Definitely something for me to think about and consider.

I only joined the site the other day so I apologise if this is a common issue and I've missed an earlier thread.
  • olee67
    olee67 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Just pay attention to how you're feeling. If you are getting regular headaches, dizzy, light headed during the works, or even blurred vision (at that point it's too late) then you are under eating/over working.

I can't eat back all my calories every day. I burned 1100 calories today. I still ate what my full days worth of calories should have been (2140), but, have a huge deficit...

Just be honest with yourself, eat well, and exercise accordingly. This is a tool, a guide if you will. It's not perfect for everyone. You just have to do what works for you. Just be honest with yourself.