How far can I safely run?

Options
NaurielR
NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
Hello everybody! I've just recently began to run long distance, and I'm wondering what kind of rest I need to give my body.

I used to run for six miles, three times a week. That's a pretty good distance in itself, but these past couple weeks I've upped the distance. I ran 8.1 miles last monday, 8.7 on wednesday, my normal six miles on friday, and then yesterday I was feeling good so I ran 11 miles. I haven't been experiencing any discomfort aside from a small but sharp pain in my knee cap (I have a chip in my knee cap from when I fell on it when I was a kid.) and a bit of tenderness in my Achilles tendon.

I'm really starting to love running, but I don't know much about it. Is there some rule about how far and how frequently you should run?

I'd like to add that my main goal is to do a half marathon.

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I think the best thing is to increase your distance slowly, be cautious of pain or problems with joints, muscles etc, and make sure you build in some rest day.
    If you are working towards a half marathon, there are tons of programs out there that advise how far and how fast to run in training - you miight find one of them a useful guide.
    I was following the Runkeeper half marathon training last year, but I think it had too many km too fast for me and I ended up with an injury. This year I'm (kind of) using a plan from the Marathon Rookie website which looks better for me.
  • SilkyHotspur
    SilkyHotspur Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Pretty much the Bible on running programs is by Hal Higdon. PS...don't up your Mileage too quickly, micro tears in the calf really hurt...

http://www.halhigdon.com/
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    10% increase per week is the standard rule, but it is not a rigid one. Just keep in mind that, when substantially increasing workout volume, the cardiovascular system and muscles can increase much faster than your tendons and ligaments. In other words, your cardio system will allow you to reach performance levels that the soft tissues may not be able to support. You have gone from 18 miles to 34 in one week and almost doubled your longest run--not to mention adding a fourth day. That substantially increases your risk for an overuse injury. I would back down to the low 20's and take a couple of weeks to ramp back up.
  • daylily2005
    daylily2005 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I second the 10% increase. I started running again in January, but not consistently. I did kind of what you did "oh! I can go further..." and did. But I upped my total weekly mileage by about 60% and found myself with a double stress fracture in my ankles. One was bad enough for a walking boot for 3 weeks and I'm only now beginning to run again (7 weeks later). Don't overdue it! Stress fractures are no fun.
  • BenBz
    BenBz Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Pretty much the Bible on running programs is by Hal Higdon. PS...don't up your Mileage too quickly, micro tears in the calf really hurt...

http://www.halhigdon.com/

Amen, Amen, and AMEN!
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    I don't think I could do that even if zombies were chasing me ... I'm dead =\
  • Stac2004
    Stac2004 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    ^^^ this. Yep. Hal is the best.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I used the "Zombies, run!" app for the first time yesterday. Sadly the zombies caught me - twice!
    Maybe I should use it on a regular run, not a hill run where I really can't speed up when I'm on the up slope!
  • laurapgmartinez
    laurapgmartinez Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I agree with others with the 10% and Hal Higdon's programs! Also, if you are already running 11 miles, you can totally handle a half marathon!!
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Haha, well, you don't have to run faster than the zombies, you just have to run faster than your friends.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'll definitely keep that in mind. I've also been running slower than usual because I'm running with my mom for the first six miles. I used to go just a ten minute mile, and at that pace my stubby little legs have had it by six miles. When I run with my mom, we go at a much more reasonable 5.3ish mph, which I feel like I could run forever at.

I just looked up that "Zombies, run!" app, and I think I'm going to download it. It looks awesome!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body!

I totally reject that 10% rule. People throw it around like it is some sort of guarantee. You could get injured running the same distance as always or you could feel great and add in an extra mile or two (and end up increasing your run by <gasp> 16.28%).