My cat's breath smells like cat food.

Hi Ralphie.

I FOUND A MOONROCK IN MY NOSE!!!

Me Fail English? That's Unpossible!

I don't have a red crayon, I ate it.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    WAT in humans is composed primarily (anywhere from 80 to 95%) of lipid. By lipid, I
    mean stored triglycerides (TG) which are simply a glycerol molecule bound to three free
    fatty acid (FFA) chains. The remaining part of the fat cell is comprised of a little bit of
    water as well as all of the cellular machinery needed to produce the various enzymes,
    proteins, and products that fat cells need to do their duty. As it’s turning out, fat cells
    produce quite a bit of stuff, some good, some bad, that affects your overall metabolism.

For the record, one pound of fat is 454 grams and let’s assume 90% lipid on average. So
    about 400 or so grams are actual stored TG. When burned by the body, one gram of fat
    provides 9 calories so 400 grams of fat contains about 3600 calories of stored energy. Now
    you know where the old axiom of ~3,500 calories to lose a pound of fat comes from.[/quot]

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-energy-balance-equation.html

Acg, thanks for the link, that makes much more sense. But even if we assume 90% lipids on average, that's closer to 3,700kcal than 3,500kcal. So someone who only has a 400kcal daily deficit would lose weight half a quickly as planned.

One minor comment I'd make is that even if we can be incredibly precise on the calorie burn required to lose a pound - the actual tracking of calories is based on estimates.... Someone's TDEE is only an estimate - Daily consumption is generally estimated - even for those who are disciplined (most people are not weighing every food item). And calorie nutritional labels are based on estimates and may or may not reflect that "serving" you just had... There is a risk in thinking we can make this too precise when we are using estimates of a person's daily burn to start with...

just my $0.02

I wrote an entire topic on that, can't remember the name of it.

Was it as well-researched as this one?
  • ravennyx
    ravennyx Posts: 40
    Options
    sorry....my ten year old just informed me that school is officially out for the summer and cannot be expected to do math until September.

LOL
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    WAT in humans is composed primarily (anywhere from 80 to 95%) of lipid. By lipid, I
    mean stored triglycerides (TG) which are simply a glycerol molecule bound to three free
    fatty acid (FFA) chains. The remaining part of the fat cell is comprised of a little bit of
    water as well as all of the cellular machinery needed to produce the various enzymes,
    proteins, and products that fat cells need to do their duty. As it’s turning out, fat cells
    produce quite a bit of stuff, some good, some bad, that affects your overall metabolism.

For the record, one pound of fat is 454 grams and let’s assume 90% lipid on average. So
    about 400 or so grams are actual stored TG. When burned by the body, one gram of fat
    provides 9 calories so 400 grams of fat contains about 3600 calories of stored energy. Now
    you know where the old axiom of ~3,500 calories to lose a pound of fat comes from.[/quot]

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-energy-balance-equation.html

Acg, thanks for the link, that makes much more sense. But even if we assume 90% lipids on average, that's closer to 3,700kcal than 3,500kcal. So someone who only has a 400kcal daily deficit would lose weight half a quickly as planned.

One minor comment I'd make is that even if we can be incredibly precise on the calorie burn required to lose a pound - the actual tracking of calories is based on estimates.... Someone's TDEE is only an estimate - Daily consumption is generally estimated - even for those who are disciplined (most people are not weighing every food item). And calorie nutritional labels are based on estimates and may or may not reflect that "serving" you just had... There is a risk in thinking we can make this too precise when we are using estimates of a person's daily burn to start with...

just my $0.02

lol sick burn!
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options

Acg, thanks for the link, that makes much more sense. But even if we assume 90% lipids on average, that's closer to 3,700kcal than 3,500kcal. So someone who only has a 400kcal daily deficit would lose weight half a quickly as planned

Seriously? 3,700/400= 9.25 days. 3500/400=8.75 days. They would lose a pound half a day slower... And even then, as others mentioned, that's assuming the calories in and calories out are completely accurate.

Edited to be nitpick proof (or at least to try)

Great catch on my mistake. I was thinking of something else in terms of TDEE.
  • ravennyx
    ravennyx Posts: 40
    Options
    I vote we just keep it simple 1lb=3500cals and agree its not an exact science.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options

Let's have the Mythbuster's do a trial :-)
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Good thing is fat cells aren't 100% fat. :)

I think ~90% IIRC.
  • hypallage
    hypallage Posts: 624 Member
    Options

I think it was operator error.

PEBCAK

LOL... I thought I was the only one who knew what that meant. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Fairly well known by anyone who has worked in IT support I should think!!! :smile:
  • futuremalestripper
    futuremalestripper Posts: 467 Member
    Options

I think it was operator error.

PEBCAK

LOL... I thought I was the only one who knew what that meant. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Fairly well known by anyone who has worked in IT support I should think!!! :smile:

I prefer PEBKAC. Has a better flow.