Eating out is going to be hard

Options
Well it has been one week for my wife and I and overall we did great. We ate home all but one meal which has made eating healthy much easier. We did some searching for restaurant menus and their nutritional information and have to say that it was eye opening. We decided to eat at Boston Market which seamed to have decent choices to keep the calories/fat down.

Any other suggestion as to what some of you eat when your dinning out?

Replies

• Arienna
    Arienna Posts: 913
    Options
    Always start out with a salad, dressing on the side. Remember oil based dressing has a lot of calories because oil has about 120 calories in one tbsp. I usually just eat my salad with red wine vinegar, it tastes yummy. Also drink a full glass of water before your meal comes and when it does come, immediately remove half of it and ask for a box to take home and put the half in there so you don't eat it.
  • itsmenatalie
    itsmenatalie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I agree that eating out is very hard. I was working out of town all week and was so busy I was lucky to get a quick bit. I find it helpful to remember that a lot of calories come from the toppings/condiments on something. Ordering your sandwich without mayo helps a ton on calories and fat, and after a little bit you learn to really taste and appreciate the other ingredients and you don't miss the mayo at all. Don't be afraid to be a pain and "Special Order" everything. You are paying for the food so if you want it without butter they should make it without butter!
  • mappy
    mappy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Try eating breakfast out.

Veggie omelets made with Egg Beaters.
    No tomatoes (makes things too watery)
    No cheese or sour cream.
    Avocado - okay in moderation (sometimes)

Whole wheat or rye toast - use jams/jellies - no butter.
    Ask for fruit - no hash browns.

Pancakes with fruit toppings or syrups only - no butter.

Thai food: Try a big bowl of their clear soups full of yummy veggies and shrimp.

Mexican food: Look for beef, chicken or shrimp "dinners" or "plates" with vegetables, rice and beans (not taco's, enchilada's, burritos, etc.) Ask for whole beans - not refried - call ahead to make sure they offer whole beans. No sour cream. Don't eat any kind of restaurant tortillas (FULL OF FAT & CALORIES). Try some ceviche or big bowl of soup.
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    There are also websites for some restaurants that do list nutritional information. If you have one of those restaurants in your area you can do research before you go and make your choices.
  • dartboarddiva
    dartboarddiva Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Applebee's has some good tastey choices on their weight watchers menu ... I gravitate toward seafood restaurants that have broiled items ...And some restaurants now offer a baked sweet potato instead of a white potato. The sweet potato is fine w/o butter ...

My kiss of death is the bread basket that comes before the meal. If your dining companions agree, just ask the wait staff not to bring it.
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    My kiss of death is the bread basket that comes before the meal. If your dining companions agree, just ask the wait staff not to bring it.

This is mine too. :grumble: I can't help but eat all the bread in that basket. lol. Definitely ask them not to bring it if your dining companions agree.
  • vraehn
    vraehn Posts: 1,008
    Options
    check out "www.calorieking" It has the best calorie references for restaurents. This is one of the great hints I got from MFP. Just want to pass it along. Careful about syrups--alot of empty calories--ALOT.
  • C21x
    C21x Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    i have found that if you can decide what you are going to order before you get there with the nutritional facts then you can make better choices...i ordered a cup of baked potato soup from outback the other day and then when i logged it i notice that the broccolii and cheese was half the calories...trust me the baked potato soup was not that good. The wife and i also share a meal now instead of ordering two.