NSV - 20+ years in the making!

Options
kd80538
kd80538 Posts: 97 Member
I should start by saying that I've always struggled with my weight. As long as I can remember I've carried around more weight than I liked or than what I should have.

20+ years ago, when my husband and I were dating, he took me on one of his favorite trails up in the Colorado mountains. I don't know that I even made it a quarter of a mile before I completely gave up. I was winded, I was sore, and I simply did not enjoy it. My husband has always been an amazing and accommodating man...and even though he was disappointed, he didn't push the issue, and never made me feel bad about not making it on the trail (bless him!).

Fast forward to 2 years ago, when we started to take up day hikes with the kids on summer weekends. I had lost around 20 pounds at the time, and was feeling pretty good with my accomplishment. That summer we hiked and biked several of the mountain trails. We even went back on "the" trail - my nemesis, and I made it, and had a great time.

2 years since, and another 55 pounds down...our goal is to do a new trail every weekend. Our summer goal is to work up to an overnight backcountry hike in/camp/hike out in late August. We started two weeks ago with a fairly easy 4-5 mile hike that my husband chose. Lots of beautiful water features along the way, and nothing too technical or aggressive. This last weekend was my choice for a trail...I picked a 6 mile trail, a 1000 ft elevation gain that would open to a meadow with old homesteads to tour. While I researched the location, the overall gain, the length, etc - what neither of us did was review the topo map. So, we're hiking the trail, and there are a lot of what I call roller coasters...down a hill to go up a hill; rocky steps, etc. The trail was rated as a med-high moderate difficulty, and my husband felt EVERY step...in fact his quote of the day "This hiking thing would be ok if it weren't for all these rocks and hills!" LOL!

Needless to say, we made it - and we were rewarded with an amazing open meadow at the top and all kinds of interesting artifacts from the turn of the century. That was pretty cool! But the most awesome part of the day? I felt AMAZING the entire hike. I could have done it twice. In fact, I ran part of the trail just to get my heart rate up!

20 years ago - you wouldn't find me on a trail. And you sure as heck wouldn't see me running ANYWHERE! I'm in the best shape of my life, and I feel amazing! I am SO thankful that I made the decision to invest in my health 18 months ago, and even more thankful that I found the MFP tool and the MFP friends that have contributed to my success in this weight loss journey!

Replies

• NomadicKris
    Options
    That's awesome - well done. I love your husbands comments about the rocks lol Sounds like a fabulous way to spend time together as well.
  • RichOC
    RichOC Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    "This hiking thing would be ok if it weren't for all these rocks and hills!"

That had me laughing pretty good.

It's 1 in the morning and now you got me wanting to go out and do some hiking...
  • meregold1
    meregold1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Amazing! I know how hard you worked to reach your goal and am so proud of you!
  • kd80538
    kd80538 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Mer! Just love you for all the support you've shown along the way - you are the best!

And yes, my husband is quite the comedian!
  • monkeybrain2012
    Options
    How wonderful for you!!! This is an amazing NSV for you. ...and I laughed so much at what your husband said.
    I love hiking but have to keep it to about 4 miles because that's all my 5 year old can handle. My 7 year old can probably go for longer.
  • MermaidFaith
    MermaidFaith Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    i really love this NSV and what a wonderful feeling to feel SO GREAT!!! awesome! How do you plan your hikes? is there a website you can go to to find trails in your area?
  • Dipmom
    Dipmom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    This is a great story...thanks for sharing! I read so many stories about spouses who try to sabotage their partner, instead of supporting them. You are blessed!
  • quietHiker
    quietHiker Posts: 1,442 Member
    Options
    Love this!!!! I'm very jealous of you hiking so much in Colorado. We went out there last summer, but this summer my boyfriend AND his kids are coming out there this summer and plan to spend a lot of time hiking! that's why I'm on MFP, to get in shape for the hikes and the mountains :) Great story!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!