Energy Drinks

Options
2»

Replies

• pkfrankel
    pkfrankel Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Red Bull Lite, and many "diet" beverages contain Aspartame and/or Acesulfame K; artificial sweeteners that allow manufacturers to make drinks "that taste good and are good for you." Here are two segments from articles about both artificial sweeteners.

Aspartame - One of the criticisms of using aspartame-sweetened foods for weight loss is that the sweet taste still tricks the brain into thinking it's hungry. This hypothesis would lead to a triggered effect in the body that would release digestive enzymes and insulin, actually increasing hunger cues and potentially causing a person to eat more. But consistently, past research did not draw this conclusion. Scientists studying this issue saw that consuming aspartame did not increase insulin, increase appetite, or increase eating and drinking more calories overall.

Despite this previous evidence, two new research studies from the Texas Health Science Center paint a different picture. They showed that the waistlines of people who drank diet soft drinks increased 70 percent more than people who didn't drink diet soda. They saw that people who drank diet drinks had a greater likelihood to be overweight. The blame is placed on the brain triggers instigated by the sweet, calorie-less taste experience. Two other recent brain studies demonstrated this effect, showing that the body does seek out calories after eating no-calorie sweeteners such as aspartame.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/493966-aspartame-and-weight-loss/#ixzz1wyP5e69N

Acesulfame K - The Center for Science and Public Interest rates acesulfame potassium as one food additive you should avoid, raising concerns about safety tests on the sweetener prior to FDA approval that were of "mediocre quality." The CSPI notes that tests conducted on rats and mice were very short; two suggested that acesulfame potassium could potentially be carcinogenic. An article published in the "International Journal of Occupational and Environmental Health" in 2010 by a Drexel University researcher echoed the CSPI's concerns and recommended that the sweetener undergo more rigorous and lengthy testing in the National Toxicology Program's bioassay program.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/481968-is-acesulfame-potassium-a-harmful-sweetener/#ixzz1wyQR2jtr
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    If you like them, drink them... I avoid them because too much caffeine keeps me awake for days, plus I don't like the taste of artificial sweeteners so I avoid the sugar-free versions.
    But, be cautious about mixing them with alcohol - they are highlighted in the news today (in Australia) after a teenager died after three drinks (alcohol + energy drinks). Of course, this could just be shock journalism but I've read in anumber of other places that this is a risky mix.
  • BigHef32
    BigHef32 Posts: 10
    Options
    Monster Lo-Carb has 20 calories per serving, Monster Absolute Zero has zero calores. Absolute Zero tastes a lot like the green Energy with a bit of a "diety" after taste.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Red Bull Lite, and many "diet" beverages contain Aspartame and/or Acesulfame K; artificial sweeteners that allow manufacturers to make drinks "that taste good and are good for you." Here are two segments from articles about both artificial sweeteners.

Aspartame - One of the criticisms of using aspartame-sweetened foods for weight loss is that the sweet taste still tricks the brain into thinking it's hungry. This hypothesis would lead to a triggered effect in the body that would release digestive enzymes and insulin, actually increasing hunger cues and potentially causing a person to eat more. But consistently, past research did not draw this conclusion. Scientists studying this issue saw that consuming aspartame did not increase insulin, increase appetite, or increase eating and drinking more calories overall.

Despite this previous evidence, two new research studies from the Texas Health Science Center paint a different picture. They showed that the waistlines of people who drank diet soft drinks increased 70 percent more than people who didn't drink diet soda. They saw that people who drank diet drinks had a greater likelihood to be overweight. The blame is placed on the brain triggers instigated by the sweet, calorie-less taste experience. Two other recent brain studies demonstrated this effect, showing that the body does seek out calories after eating no-calorie sweeteners such as aspartame.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/493966-aspartame-and-weight-loss/#ixzz1wyP5e69N

Acesulfame K - The Center for Science and Public Interest rates acesulfame potassium as one food additive you should avoid, raising concerns about safety tests on the sweetener prior to FDA approval that were of "mediocre quality." The CSPI notes that tests conducted on rats and mice were very short; two suggested that acesulfame potassium could potentially be carcinogenic. An article published in the "International Journal of Occupational and Environmental Health" in 2010 by a Drexel University researcher echoed the CSPI's concerns and recommended that the sweetener undergo more rigorous and lengthy testing in the National Toxicology Program's bioassay program.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/481968-is-acesulfame-potassium-a-harmful-sweetener/#ixzz1wyQR2jtr
    And I bet you consume protein powders....
  • shellsrenee01
    shellsrenee01 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I don't think I could get through most of my 4am work mornings without a 5 hour energy shot or a sugar free Rockstar. I probably have one or the other at least 3 times a week. The 5 hour energy has 4 calories and the sugar free Rockstar has 20. I've never tried one before a workout though. I fear it would upset my stomach.
  • vasogoma
    vasogoma Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I love the flavor in the Monster, but it has never really helped me feel with more energy at all. I think I am not sensible to caffeine, I can drink black coffee before going to bed and still sleep like a baby :)
    I haven't bought one since I started my diet, I might give it a try as a snack!
  • dstanley753
    dstanley753 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    As a hardcore energy drink addict this was a tough one for me...The V8 Fusion Energy Drink is good and as times I have a can of seltzer water with Mio Energy in it as both are 0 cal!
  • sonjalucia
    sonjalucia Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I confess,

I usually have about 6-7 SF Redbulls per week.

Not good for the teeth, I know I know. But they are my vice right now!
  • Tannedtiffers
    Tannedtiffers Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I drank an energy drink one day called Red Line...I was warned to only drink half...I drank the full thing and had to go home for the day. I was shaking like crazy. I tried to use the bathroom and I pissed all over the stall. It was awful.

Ive had that one before, I drank the whole thing but half in the morning and half after lunch...i liked it but I fully understand the shaking part, i was almost there but not quite because they were spaced out enough

I'm in East Texas and they have about 8 flavor/varieties of RedLine at the truck stop by my work.