Looking for emotional eaters to help support each other!

Options
Going to try something new this time to get me started. I am a stress and emotional eater and the last three years have not been easy. As a result, I have gained around 30 lbs on top of the 50 lbs I was overweight to begin with. Now, I am the heaviest I have ever been and need to stop myself from continuing my up weight spiral. In the last three years, I have dealt with my mom going through lung cancer ( she is a survivor so far!), my dad coming to the end stages of parkinson's disease and dementia beginning and my husband being out of work twice.

I need help and support to not sooth my emotions without using food. If you are in a similar situation let me know! :smile:

Replies

• dontbreakthescale
    Options
    You can do it! I'm an emotional eater too -_- I know it's hard, but try this: don't deny yourself the food you crave. Instead, allow yourself a small portion daily or every few days. Eat it slowly and taste the flavors!! You'll be much more satisfied and won't have the guilt afterwards.
  • dontbreakthescale
    Options
    Also, exercise helps so much with stress! Try walking - it doesn't matter how slow. Ten minutes, thirty minutes, an hour a day - whatever you can fit in. You'll notice a difference!
  • lorarock
    lorarock Posts: 29
    Options
    i am a teacher, therefore I have about 6 weeks off to try to overcome the stress eater who stops daily for a bag of chips or cookies and eats them all by the time I arrive at home. I am logging all my food and trying to learn healthier ways to deal with the stress. Hopefully by the end of July I will have some new habits ingrained and be able to carry it on. Please count me in as a supporter.
  • garden_lady
    Options
    I also have had several major life events in the last few years with weight gain as the outcome. I am an emotional eater and trying out alternatives to using food as a solution. With support, we can win. I have several sizes of clothes in my closet. Got rid of the 2 largest sizes a couple of years ago. My existing clothes are getting tighter and I refuse to buy a larger size again. I just joined a couple of days ago and could use some support friends also. Feel free to add me. :flowerforyou:
  • dncase78
    dncase78 Posts: 4
    Options
    I feel your stress eating. I am too guilty of that. My fav's are chips and salsa or guac, and ice cream. I recently found my new love of fudgicles. They are sugar free and on pop is only 40 calories.:love:
  • Chrystibel
    Chrystibel Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I'm totally an emotional eater, it's gotten worse since I had my first child 3 years ago, finally trying to fix what I've done to my body. Feel free to add me, i'm always on MFP these days.
  • Busymomo5
    Busymomo5 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You can add me!
  • jeyko
    jeyko Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I'm a very emotional eater. I eat when I'm sad, excited, nervous or bored!?, add me if you'd like, the more the merrier in this battle to support each other the better!
  • josiecowboy69
    Options
    I'm very much an emotional and stress eater. Please feel free to add me as a friend.... Best of luck.
  • Michelecalled
    Options
    Count me in,

I have gained most of my weight from eating without thinking.
    That's exactly how I got to where I am now.
    Now I am tracking my food intake and really noticing how
    many calories I was taking in without even thinking about it!
    Good Luck to us all!
    :flowerforyou:
  • bkknights
    bkknights Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about all that you and your family have gone through. I haven't had to battle as much but have had an unemployed partner and have a child with an autoimmune disorder. Work is my weak spot. Junk food everywhere. I say I'm an emotional eater- I eat for every emotion! Please add me for support and encouragement!
  • lakota1307
    lakota1307 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Me Too!!! I have the same problem been dealing with it all my life, I have decided to get it under control
  • lalalee13
    lalalee13 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry that things have been so hard lately. I definitely understand the emotional eating as a way to deal with these things.
    Good for you for reaching out to others! I am happy to journey with you and support each other. Blessings
  • tz2187
    tz2187 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I also am an emotional eater, when I am bored, stressed or mad. I'm slowly learning to control it but it's hard. I tell myself I can't control some things that happen in my like, but I can control what I put in my mouth. Feel free to add me if you like.
  • jt_italian_23
    Options
    I eat chocolate when I get stressed!!! :(
  • laurynmcl
    laurynmcl Posts: 13
    Options
    It;s a tough one to break. Exercise helps - especially walking. I also went for therapy and found that learning to recognize my emotions and to retraIn my thinking processes helped me to learn healthier ways to feel better. There is a book that I have found helpful called The Cognitive Behavioral Workbook for Weight Management: A Step-by-Step Program by Michele Laliberte.

I am so sorry that things have been so tough for you lately. Be kind to yourself and keep asking for help. I would happy to support you. Please accept a virtual hug. Blessings to you and your family.
  • ellesince1993
    Options
    i am most definitely an emotional eater, feel free to add me and we can support each other! :)
  • livinfitanfun
    Options
    you can add me as well! I totally understand what you are saying. I am the samw way but this website and great friends will help you out!
  • buckeyefit
    buckeyefit Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the support! I will add friends. I have my summer off so I am working on excerise. I also joined a community farm association so I have fresh veggies every week. Laurymncl thanks for the book idea.
  • imworthit52
    imworthit52 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Count me in! I've been off Carbs for 3 weeks and all I can think about is Birthday Cake when I hit my goal. I eat when I'm stressing. We can All help each other.