Fitbit Adjustment Calories?

Options
I need some help/advice.....I wanted to know about fitbit adjustment calories. I did not work out yet today and it gave me 519 extra calories for the adjustment. I had worked 10 hours today doing physical labor (packing eggs). And so far I have only ate 610 calories. And i have burned 2018 calories total since 12:00am. Is it just because I have eaten so few calories so far. Sorry, but I still get confused on how to use them and I dont want to eat more if i havent exercised. Any feedback/advice/opinions will be useful. Thank you.

Replies

• kellekaj
    kellekaj Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yes I want to know about this more too. I hadn't noticed it until today but looks like it has been happening all along (I've only had my fitbit for 1.5 weeks) I'm thinking it might mean that since I am set up as sedentary and mfp calculates a certain amount of calories I would use a day but on more active days my fitbit will give a more accurate reading of my activeness and this is the adjustment between the two??? Does this mean it is extra calories we can eat???
  • BigHef32
    BigHef32 Posts: 10
    Options
    The fitbit will calculate the calories you burned based on the work/exercise it can read, as well as your Basal Metabolic Rate http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator

For instance, today, I walked 5185 steps and burned 3128 calories and got a calorie adjustment of -358. I NEVER use those calories to allow further intake. I set myself at 1800 calories and stay below that. Today, I was at 1702 with the -358 from the fitbit, I had a net of 1344 calories.
  • debbysatit
    debbysatit Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Do you log your exercise along with the fitbit? Example I went for a walk and put in the time started and amount walked. It figured out the calories. Is it taking a double amout for that time or is it taking that into account when I log the time? Or should I not be logging the exercise at all unless it is something besides walking?
  • BigHef32
    BigHef32 Posts: 10
    Options
    I will usually track the walk with Runkeeper as well as the steps on the fitbit. It would be "double dipping" to log with fitbit and MFP, but I don't use the calories burned to increase intake. As there is no integration with Runkeeper to transfer calories entered there to adjust MFP.

If I ride my bike, I track the ride with Runkeeper. I could go back and track the ride on MFP, but I do not.
  • zumba89
    zumba89 Posts: 82
    Options
    I just got mine todays and I don't understand what the hell I'm doing. I clean today and because fitbit didn't sync I just add the cleaning to myfitness pal. Now i just got a adjustment and it's for 350 cals. I just got done burning 822 calories and all they give me was 350? I don't get it. All together i burned 1033 that i add to MFP. Now just a few mintues ago theyt took away my adjustment . What's going on people
  • ponyfan81
    ponyfan81 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    If you're getting a big adjustment every day without doing any exercise, it means that you have underestimated your daily activity level. Most people are NOT sedentary - I work at a desk all day and sometimes only get 4000-5000 steps in a day and still burn 2600+ calories (6'1" 218 lb 30 yo male). I have my activity level set to Active (3rd level)...I work out 2-3 times a week, so it's not like I'm working really hard to get there.

Do whatever you want, but over time eating too few calories relative to your activity level (READ: NEVER "EATING BACK" YOUR CALORIES) can and will lead to a tougher plateau after a while, and is not a path to a lifestyle change/sustainable loss. MFP already has a deficit of 1000 cal built in based upon your weight/height/age/activity level, and cutting much more than that will over the long run be no more productive (and likely LESS productive) than maintaining that deficit.

I have a fitbit and have lost approx 50 lbs in 6 months by eating back around 80-90% of my exercise calories most days, even if it's not from legit "exercise".

Again, do whatever you want, but if you are living at a 1500-2000 cal per day deficit and hit a major plateau, there's no need to come on here and ask what you're doing wrong...I just told you.