Hey Teachers! Summer is here...

Options
...and I don't have any summer plans this summer because my husband used his vacation time for Spring Break and our cruise in Dec. So instead of being a bum all summer, I really want to focus on losing some weight since I have the time and no commitments. I'm a huge Biggest Loser fan (even though the losses are not practical, it's still motivating) and one of the reasons they claim the contestants lose so much weight is because they are taken out of their daily lives and put in an ideal atmosphere. I don't want to go crazy and burn out, but I want to definitely step it up and take advantage of my time off.

I said all that, because I am looking for buddies. If you this sounds like you or you are on a similar journey, add me!

Replies

• smileybonbon85
    smileybonbon85 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yay! for summer break. I too am wanting to focus as much time as possible to changing my lifestyle for the better this summer with hopes to continue when it gets busy again. I am currently watching Biggest Loser on Netflix. Completely agree that it's not realistic but the stories are very motivating. Watching it makes me want to get of the couch and go for a jog.
  • kriztyn723
    kriztyn723 Posts: 57
    Options
    I'm a teacher as well! I am dedicating this summer to cooking healthy and working out everyday (taking Sundays off) some days I am even working out once in the AM and another in the PM. My husband is also a teacher but is teaching summer school until July so it'll just be ME for most of June. We have a trip to Mexico end of July to celebrate our 1 year anniversary so I would like to lose most of the weight before then so that it will be easier to maintain during the school year :)
  • amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I don't get out of school until the 21st and have to go back Aug 20, but that's still two whole months to rock and roll! I'm not sure how much I'll step it up, but I definitely want to be super consistent. :happy:

Add me if you'd like!
  • kparks2
    kparks2 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I am a teacher too and let me tell you there is more time to work out and less stress so the weight can come off easier if you work at it. :) Love vacations
  • aulove
    aulove Posts: 34
    Options
    Another teacher here. My summer workout focus has shifted thanks to a stress fracture. This means no running, which I hoped to do more regularly during the summer; so I've been trying water-related alternatives. Other than that, I'm determined to stay on track and keep on keeping on.
  • riverabeth
    riverabeth Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Yay! Me too. I am really focusing on my workouts during my time off. I would love to wow some of my co-workers when we go back in August! My girls & I r also challenging ourselves to eat as cleanly as possible this summer!
  • mandisu
    mandisu Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I too am wanting to focus as much time as possible to changing my lifestyle for the better this summer with hopes to continue when it gets busy again.

You highlight one of my problems. It's sooo hard to workout when you get home wiped out from a day in the classroom. I would workout in the morning, but I am not a morning person!
  • 1DayMarathonRnner
    1DayMarathonRnner Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I am a teacher as well and have made eating healthy and working out as my goal for the summer. Friend me if you like. :-)
  • foxbat2828
    foxbat2828 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I'm a teacher, but I teach during the summers, so I only get a break between spring/summer and summer/fall. Spring/summer break is pretty good though. Just keeping up the same routine that I have during spring/fall, so nothing overly special planned for the summer other than I have a little extra time since I'm only teaching one class during the summer.
  • mandisu
    mandisu Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Looks like a lot of teachers out their are taking the summer to focus on us! I totally want to make myself lesson plans for food and workouts! I'm a dork! I will be an uber awesome MFP friend this summer. No guarantees for the fall though.

Last day of school tomorrow then just packing the rest of the week.

*Cheers* to a great, productive, and healthy summer!
  • kstrunk1
    kstrunk1 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    HI! Fellow teacher here with two more days left. I began my weight loss journey on March 10 and have a loooooong way to go so I'll be here for the long haul! I don't judge and will not criticize you, only cheer you on. Feel free to add me if you'd like. :flowerforyou:
  • jmelton9
    jmelton9 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I too am a teacher and I can not wait for summer! I am fully motivated to trying to change my life this summer as well. I have a 2 year old and I looking forward to lots of time at the park, and trying to work out while she is napping (please let her nap!). I have also joined a local produce group that will deliver fresh local produce to me each week to help encourage eating healthier. I wish all of you teachers luck! The summer is a great time to remember that we are just as important as our classrooms. I would love to help support you all in any way I can!
  • val_140
    val_140 Posts: 75
    Options
    I have been thinking about this for a while. I have been looking forward to being home without any worries. I am the best when I am home and away from temptation. I really think I am going to rock the next 2 months. Especially since I can workout multiple time a day :) I am excited! Feel free to add me!
  • grubb1019
    grubb1019 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I am a teacher too, but won't have much extra time this summer. I'm working on my Master's degree and have 4 classes this summer. I had gained 12lbs since starting my Master's, I'm a stress eater, if you can't tell, lol! But since I'm not working I am hoping I have more time to exercise.
  • Jormesher
    Jormesher Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Another teacher here, checking in! :D

I'd love to participate. We got out of school on May 29. For the next several days, I woke up at 5:00 am and went ahead and worked out then. However, this week, several teacher friends and I are meeting each other up at the YMCA for classes. Its fun to see friends outside the school setting.
  • poodlehepler
    poodlehepler Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am a teacher as well. I am focusing on my weight loss for the summer..........I am right there with you.
  • micls
    micls Posts: 234
    Options
    Another teacher, 4 weeks left and have to be ready by then! Maintaining now but want to build muscle/strength and look good. Getting married start of July and I think it'l be all downhill from there :D
  • gcr2012
    gcr2012 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    So happy to be off for the summer! My goal is to work out at 6 days per week, and cook healthy dinners instead of all that take-out we rely on during the school year. Would love some upbeat, motivating friends!
  • edena1987
    edena1987 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Another teacher here. Last day of school is June 14th. I have been working out almost every single day (tomorrow is my rest day). I have to focus on the eating healthy portion. I will be taking a summer institute at American University (got a grant!) that involves A LOT of walking around DC. That on top of my 5am workouts, I should be dropping pounds in no time!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    Options
    I currently have a principal of a high school and his wife (who is an administrative director for another high school) who are in my boxing classes 2 days a week. Both take the class to reduce stress and get in exercise. Last week he asked about personal training since he's still about 80lbs overweight (although he's already lost 30lbs) for he and his wife to help enhance their weight loss and to get stronger.
    What I can say as a trainer is DON'T over train. Weight loss is only PART of the journey. The other part is figuring out what triggered you to gain the weight in the first place and deal with it accordingly. Sometimes it's work, sometimes it's at home relationships, sometimes it's just dissatisfaction with one self...........you'll just have to figure that one out.
    The other thing is train and eat smart. Losing more than 2% of your body weight a week isn't ideal so don't do it. Good luck.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition