30 day shred and what jillian says

Options

Replies

• missVlondon
    Options
    Thanks a lot for the sharing!! Just want to share my 2 cents...

I am still a little bit confused as some others said JM has repeatedly mentioned that 30 Day Shred should be done everyday! But I think I will ascribe to common sense notion and play safer for my already bad knees. Honestly I think switching to cardio in between and having a weekly rest day make a lot of sense.

What people keep talking about 30 Day Shred is the concept of muscle confusion. But after doing some research about this term, I think muscle confusion refers to the use of circuiting in her workouts. The routines are composed of cardio, strength and abs (core). It doesn't seem to have too much to do with "you can't take any break in 30 days". I think the non-stop emphasis is more about "you can't take any break during every 30-minute workout".

I talked to my hubby earlier today. He actually raised a paradox: if our muscles really got accustomed to a particular routine so quickly that we have to constantly change our routine every 2 or 3 minutes, then shouldn't our body get used to the 30-minute Shred routine very soon if we do it in 30 straight days? Shouldn't it be better to confuse the muscles by taking a weekly break or doing some other cardio in between?

I hope I am not offending anyone who believes in the "30 straight days shred" approach. Frankly I love the workout and found it pretty effective -- I've just completed 2 days, but last night my hubby said he could see the muscles in my arms and abs were pumped up. So indeed the muscles were building up and 30DS is definitely working. But I think it is also very important to lose weight safely without hurting my body... At the moment I think for the sake of my knees, I will try to experiment the "2 day Shred 1 day cardio approach" plus a weekly rest day... I can foresee that the progress won't be as drastic as others who are both mentally and physically strong enough to do 30 days in a row without any break. But who cares? Maybe I'll be already overjoyed by my progress. After all I have been overweight for over a decade or two. Patience & tolerance won't be my problem. I think I can afford spending an extra few months to get rid of them.

(Again, just my 2 cents. Apologize if it upsets anyone. Also English isn't my mother tongue so pardon me for poor English. Cheers!)
  • SarahSwimmer
    SarahSwimmer Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot for the sharing!! Just want to share my 2 cents...

I am still a little bit confused as some others said JM has repeatedly mentioned that 30 Day Shred should be done everyday! But I think I will ascribe to common sense notion and play safer for my already bad knees. Honestly I think switching to cardio in between and having a weekly rest day make a lot of sense.

What people keep talking about 30 Day Shred is the concept of muscle confusion. But after doing some research about this term, I think muscle confusion refers to the use of circuiting in her workouts. The routines are composed of cardio, strength and abs (core). It doesn't seem to have too much to do with "you can't take any break in 30 days". I think the non-stop emphasis is more about "you can't take any break during every 30-minute workout".

I talked to my hubby earlier today. He actually raised a paradox: if our muscles really got accustomed to a particular routine so quickly that we have to constantly change our routine every 2 or 3 minutes, then shouldn't our body get used to the 30-minute Shred routine very soon if we do it in 30 straight days? Shouldn't it be better to confuse the muscles by taking a weekly break or doing some other cardio in between?

I hope I am not offending anyone who believes in the "30 straight days shred" approach. Frankly I love the workout and found it pretty effective -- I've just completed 2 days, but last night my hubby said he could see the muscles in my arms and abs were pumped up. So indeed the muscles were building up and 30DS is definitely working. But I think it is also very important to lose weight safely without hurting my body... At the moment I think for the sake of my knees, I will try to experiment the "2 day Shred 1 day cardio approach" plus a weekly rest day... I can foresee that the progress won't be as drastic as others who are both mentally and physically strong enough to do 30 days in a row without any break. But who cares? Maybe I'll be already overjoyed by my progress. After all I have been overweight for over a decade or two. Patience & tolerance won't be my problem. I think I can afford spending an extra few months to get rid of them.

(Again, just my 2 cents. Apologize if it upsets anyone. Also English isn't my mother tongue so pardon me for poor English. Cheers!)

I just started and this makes perfect sense. Also, your English is fabulous!
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    awesome!

thanks for the post because i have been so hard on myself about not being able to do 30 days in a row!!! I thought it was kind of weird that there were no rest days..
  • shaymo10
    shaymo10 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Thanks for clarifying this.
  • dawnkykong
    dawnkykong Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Ya just thought people would like to know I too got burnt out and felt it was odd to do 30 days straight (but not against people that do!) i use rest days to do yoga or callanetics since my calves get super tight really easy :-)

Also one more tip. I also bought ripped in 30.. for me its easier to switch out those two since i get bored of the same thing over and over too for sure :-) but id def does get results. i havent done much else besides it and have dropped 2 pant sizes! (not much weight though but ill take inches over weight any day)
    :happy:

I agree! I'll take some inches over weight loss! I'm thinking about trying the 30ds also...I've been doing Insanity (well not this week because I've been slacking)... And it's getting boring! Maybe I'll switch between the two?
  • jeyko
    jeyko Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I love her workouts! I too found it hard on my joints so I bought a mini trampoline for the cardio parts and that has helped a lot!
  • DinaRobin
    DinaRobin Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this. I've been doing the shred 2-3 times per week for 3 months now around other exercises on other days.
    Definitely helps to mix it up!
  • ohmissemily
    ohmissemily Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    so happy this came out:) this is going into my routine asap!
  • kayaka1
    kayaka1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    wow thanks for that info!!
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    bump
  • smte
    smte Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I just finished 30 day shred. I did it M-F with the weekends off. I figured I'd actually stick with it this way. So, it took me 6 wks to complete. I dont have too much to lose, so I didnt see much weight loss. I saw a little bit of change in my arms and belly. I am going to try a 2nd round starting this week and will do it 3-4 times a week and get some more cardio in my workouts. I was so focused on getting through the shred, that I let my cardio slide. I am hoping a good combination of the both will help in some weight loss and gain some muscle! Thanks for posting about the podcast!
  • marbly
    marbly Posts: 103
    Options
    I've just finished Day 6 of Level 1 with one day of rest in between. It's getting a lot easier but I'm enjoying the routine.

I have not noticed any changes but then again, I was eating badly last week so that would have counteract any good effects the program had for the first 5 days I was on the Shred!

As for cals burned, my first 3 days were about 130-135 cals and from Day 4 onwards, consistently around 125 cals for the 30 minutes or so (including warm up).
  • thetiwi1890
    thetiwi1890 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    bump to read later :flowerforyou:
  • DeanneLea
    DeanneLea Posts: 261
    Options
    When I first heard of it, I actually heard her say to do it 30 days straight. My opinion though is to push yourself but listen to your body when it needs a break. I personally set out to do 30 days straight. The days I have missed have been due to things that were out of my control but not because I didn't want to do it. I ended up doubling up on other days to make up for it. I want to finish in 30 days with 30 workouts. I'm on day 26 right now. I also add in other cardio dvds and the treadmill.

I think the key is doing what works for you and really learning what's best for your own body. There's no shame in taking a break and there's nothing wrong with going 30 days straight.
  • dogacreek
    dogacreek Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Finished D8L2 30DS and did some of the Banish Fat Boost Metabolism (BFBM) dvd. Taking two days off from work to play in the soil and plant.
  • skinnyjuu
    skinnyjuu Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Bump:) good to know!
  • smorealloyquik9
    smorealloyquik9 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! I had to stop because I was doing it every day. Poor marketing choice.

Guess it's time for me to start again!
  • puckers82
    puckers82 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I just thought I would throw this out there since its hard to find if you dont know what your doing and there are so many out there that do things a different way (30 days straight which i am not against BUT...)

Jillian had a question in a podcast about how often to do it and her answer was...
    2 days of 30DS one day cardio 2 days of 30 DS and one cardio then a rest day. She said the name was more so what her marketing people came up with since each level is meant to be 10 days (just not 10 straight) thats marketing for you!
    Not saying not to do 30 days straight if you want but she was very adamant about how important it is to have a rest day. Just thought I'd let you all know :-)

If this is the case why does she say 'see you tomorrow' at the end of level 2 and 3!?

Its a big thing to put your name to if you don't agree with it!!

Also if this is the case why doesn't it say on the dvd like ripped in 30 does. It states it should be done 5-6 times a week.
  • Curvy1taliana
    Curvy1taliana Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    good to know, thanks !!

*nice of the 30DS people to tell us (finally)
  • lifestylechallenge
    lifestylechallenge Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    great to know, I started it on Saturday and was wondering if I should rest....Good info