drinking water while running?

Options
Amy_B
Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
Do you usually bring water along on your runs? How long are your runs? I never have brought water along, and I was wondering if maybe I should to keep the energy going. I normally run 3 miles at a time. If I do bring water, how do I bring it/what do I bring it in?

Replies

• Redbug
    Redbug Posts: 41
    Options
    It's an individual preference and depending on temperature. Usually if I'm out for more than 45-60 minutes I will take water or on warmer days for shorter amounts of time. We have a couple of ways we take water with us -- a fuel belt which has places to put water containers and we have also carried water in a small backback. I don't like wearing a backpack but my husband usually doesn't mind. If it's a 2-3 mile we may carry a water bottle with us. Whatever works best for you.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Normally with a run under 30 minutes, water isn't going to make any difference--you can't really absorb it fast enough. Over 45 minutes, it is usually recommended (30-45, it's your call :wink: )

I normally don't bother with water or a sports drink for any workout under 45 min. Longer than that and I do find it keeps me going stronger.
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    Yup you should be bringing water if you are going 45 min or more... I use the Nathan Sprint and its great because its not too big, its hand held and I barely notice its there!

~Leash :heart:
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Like everyone said it depends on temp and distance for me...

I HATE running with anything in my hands, so unless it's really hot outside or I'm running over an hour, I wont bring it, I just make sure I'm hydrated before hand, and drink up after the run.
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I always bring water just in case I need it. Although for short runs (30mins) I don't drink much. I bought a belt to hold my water bottle and a few other things (such as keys, money, cell phone). It wasn't expensive, cost me about $25 Cdn at SportChek. It can sometimes be a pain to get it to sit right, but usually I don't notice it is there and I feel better knowing I have money and my cell in case I need it.

A great tip someone gave me was to chew gum when you run to keep your mouth moist. I breathe mostly through my mouth and so I have found this really helps. It also means I don't have to drink as much water.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I run about 45 minutes and I sip water twice - more to wet my mouth than to actually hydrate. I have a new balance running belt - wish it was smaller!
  • scrappy11
    scrappy11 Posts: 163
    Options
    Hello, while training for my marathon I was always at a running store of some kind. They have hydration belts that you can wear around your waist that have little water bottles that you fill up before your run. I have never worn mine on 3 milers but if you are a newbie to running I would wear one. They really do help and they are so small you barely notice they are there. I hope this helps!
  • BMAJK
    BMAJK Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I always bring water just in case I need it. Although for short runs (30mins) I don't drink much. I bought a belt to hold my water bottle and a few other things (such as keys, money, cell phone). It wasn't expensive, cost me about $25 Cdn at SportChek. It can sometimes be a pain to get it to sit right, but usually I don't notice it is there and I feel better knowing I have money and my cell in case I need it.

A great tip someone gave me was to chew gum when you run to keep your mouth moist. I breathe mostly through my mouth and so I have found this really helps. It also means I don't have to drink as much water.

Great tip about chewing gum!:happy:
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I'm a newbie to running. I recently completed the c25k and and plan to run a 5k in November. I always carry water or a sports drink because my throat gets dry.
  • Chiny
    Chiny Posts: 321
    Options
    I bought a belt that came with a water bottle and for me, it was the worst purchase ever. That things swings around my waste and bounces up and town and gets in my way. I need to get a backpack one I see people use.
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I bring water I have a belt as well - as long as you position it correctly then it's fine. I use it everytime I run also for Cell Phone Ipod etc.

I live in South Florida so better to bring it then not
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    i've been running since 2002, and I can't drink a drop of water and least 30 minutes prior or during a run, I get bad side stitches ... might go against what you're supposed to do, but I chew gum while running to not get super thirsty, and down water after my run