Gaining muscle/losing fat? Help!!

Options
So, about a month ago I started getting into using free weights more,
I do strength 4 days a week and 2 days a week of HIIT cardio.
I eat around 2000 calories, and I'm 5' and I currently weigh 115lbs, but I'm still pretty flabby.

I seem to be gaining muscle but not losing fat? I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, I've tried to do the TDEE Calculators to see if I'm eating the correct amount, but I'm not sure exactly what my activity level would be?

Can someone pleeeeease give me advice! or if it is possible to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time?

Please !

Replies

• persilcolours
    persilcolours Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Bump -- I'm also interested because this is what I'm trying to do.

My advice may be that you are eating too many calories? Maybe try eating around 1700.
  • blighter2012
    blighter2012 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you need to find your actual body fat content to figure that out like when they put you in the tank of water to measure it all. You may be at a good body fat percentage for yourself but have spots of fat you wish weren't there but you do need a certain amount of body fat to be healthy also. If indeed you do have some more body fat percentage to lose you may need the help of a trainer to get some spot exercises to work on the specific fat you are trying to lose.
  • snowbike
    snowbike Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Take a look at this...

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/build-muscle-burn-fat-simultaneously.htm

Generally its argued as not possible to do both. You have to bulk then cut.
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    I'm eating 2000 calories, too, but I'm 6'2" and 195 lbs.... Don't you think that's a bit much?
  • Masharitos
    Masharitos Posts: 106
    Options
    I've been on keto for 2 weeks, weight loss, no muscle loss. Two of my fiends have been on it for 6 months to a year. Take a look and see if this is something that can work for you, because it's worked for so many.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=132598293
  • Masharitos
    Masharitos Posts: 106
    Options
    Also, look up ALA, alpha lipoic acid. Bodybuilders also has some good info on that. I can't' swear by it because my carb intake is minimal, but for those who do cycles keto, they take ALA when they eat more carbs.
  • DerDude
    DerDude Posts: 170
    Options
    It is possible but it´s a nutrition thing. Maybe you should open your diary to have a look.
  • craigking
    craigking Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Have you reviewed your protein intake and the amount of carbs? Are you eating healty snacks throughout the day and 2 good meals or is it loaded into meals later in the day? Drink more water :smile:

Message or email me if you want any more help/advice
  • lenatuck
    lenatuck Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your responses guys! Yeah, I've used a few TDEE calculators and most of them say i should be eating around 1800-2000, so i might cut it back a bit, but I'll check out those links too!

I'll open my diary, although most days I don't hit my 2000 cals and struggle to hit protein
  • HideNGeek
    HideNGeek Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I do roughly the same amount of exercise as you, weights and HIIT cardio, and I also eat 2000 calories, but i'm 5'11 and 190, so maybe you're eating a little too much?
  • DerDude
    DerDude Posts: 170
    Options
    Also think it´s a little too much. Maybe you should try an amount off 1600/1700 cal.
    Your protein intake is very good! Carbs could be a little less sometimes.
    I am also at 2000-2300 and 5´11.
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I thought you were supposed to eat at maintenance for body recomposition, not a deficit. (Just wondering because of everyone saying to eat less)

How can you tell you're not losing bodyfat? Unless you're doing body scans all the time, there's really no way to tell for sure. You can kinda guess at it with BIA, measurements, and calipers, but it's still guessing.

There are really small gains in your first few months of strength or if you have a history of super muscularity and are returning to it.. which you can still make while at a deficit.. otherwise it's pretty unlikely to gain/lose at the same time... but still. You never really know (unless you're getting those body scans!)

I hear a lot of people have great results with intermittent fasting (IF) ala leangains.com for getting their bf% down...
  • lenatuck
    Options
    I thought you were supposed to eat at maintenance for body recomposition, not a deficit. (Just wondering because of everyone saying to eat less)

How can you tell you're not losing bodyfat? Unless you're doing body scans all the time, there's really no way to tell for sure. You can kinda guess at it with BIA, measurements, and calipers, but it's still guessing.

There are really small gains in your first few months of strength or if you have a history of super muscularity and are returning to it.. which you can still make while at a deficit.. otherwise it's pretty unlikely to gain/lose at the same time... but still. You never really know (unless you're getting those body scans!)

I hear a lot of people have great results with intermittent fasting (IF) ala leangains.com for getting their bf% down...

That's what I thought, and every calculator says to eat 2000ish, so I have no idea, i guess I have nothing to lose if I lower my calories.
    I suppose I don't know for sure, but the scale seems to be creeping up and up (although I know it's most likely muscle) but I don't feel any thinner, and my main problem is my stomach, which doesn't seem to be decreasing in the slighest, especially being fairly close to my goal.

But i'll check out lean gains, thanks :)
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Try cutting 15-20% from your TDEE level. I'm 5'2 112 and 2000 is my maintence and I workout 5-6 days a week. Its not impossible to build muscle and lose fat in a deficit however its difficult. You want to preserve any muscle you do have. TDEE is maintence including exercise. If you want to lose some fat you do have to cut a little bit. How long are your HIIT sessions?
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    It has only been 4 weeks...how heavy are you lifting? Do you still do some cardio?

You need to lift heavy...make sure that you are lfiting enough weight that by the end of your 3rd set you cannot complete it...When you can complete 3 sets easy, up your weights (usually every 6 weeks or so)

Also, make sure you give your body a rest, so don't workout consecutive days the same muscle group.

Add in some cardio to help burn fat...

Most of all...give it some more time....
  • monkeybrain2012
    Options
    I would suggest you look up Tom Venuto's Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle book or at least read his many articles. Very helpful and informative. You should also get your body fat measured and then you'll know better what's happening with your body.
  • lenatuck
    Options
    Try cutting 15-20% from your TDEE level. I'm 5'2 112 and 2000 is my maintence and I workout 5-6 days a week. Its not impossible to build muscle and lose fat in a deficit however its difficult. You want to preserve any muscle you do have. TDEE is maintence including exercise. If you want to lose some fat you do have to cut a little bit. How long are your HIIT sessions?

Okay, thanks! My HIIT sessions are normally 30 minutes.

P.s. Please give me your stomach!
  • lenatuck
    Options
    I would suggest you look up Tom Venuto's Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle book or at least read his many articles. Very helpful and informative. You should also get your body fat measured and then you'll know better what's happening with your body.

Awesome, thanks for the info! I shall check it out
  • lenatuck
    Options
    It has only been 4 weeks...how heavy are you lifting? Do you still do some cardio?

You need to lift heavy...make sure that you are lfiting enough weight that by the end of your 3rd set you cannot complete it...When you can complete 3 sets easy, up your weights (usually every 6 weeks or so)

Also, make sure you give your body a rest, so don't workout consecutive days the same muscle group.

Add in some cardio to help burn fat...

Most of all...give it some more time....

Yeah the HIIT I do on the treadmill, and I normally do weights at home, but I need to invest in some more haha, and I do alternate legs, arms, abs etc on different days. But yeah, thank you! :)
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

That's what I thought, and every calculator says to eat 2000ish, so I have no idea, i guess I have nothing to lose if I lower my calories.
    I suppose I don't know for sure, but the scale seems to be creeping up and up (although I know it's most likely muscle) but I don't feel any thinner, and my main problem is my stomach, which doesn't seem to be decreasing in the slighest, especially being fairly close to my goal.

But i'll check out lean gains, thanks :)

When you gain muscle, you are gaining fat.. so yes the scale would be creeping up, but it's not all muscle.. it's also fat.

As far as your goals go, I would say cut the calories. I'm 5'9, 150 and I weight train 2-3 times a week, and I eat around 1700-200 calories a day.. and I'm not losing weight or gaining, I'm just maintaining really and trying to lower my body fat from 20% down to between 18-15%.