Should I buy a bicycle?

Options
A while back I was toying with the idea of purchasing a bicycle (I haven't owned one since the one I had when I was 13 was stolen) because I used to legitimately enjoy it and think I would again. I was even toying with the idea of commuting to work on it until I discovered that my city is not very bicycle-friendly. It is littered with bridges and tunnels that only motor traffic is permitted to use. No bicycles, no pedestrians, and I would need to take my bicycle on the bus to actually go somewhere to ride it, such as a park. Due to the bridge/tunnel system the city uses, there are only a select few routes I can take from my house and none of them go anywhere scenic or anywhere that isn't urban traffic hell. Having to first take the bike somewhere by car or bus to ride it rather than leaving from my house and not being able to use it to commute killed that drive to buy a bicycle real quick. But every now and then I still get to wondering whether or not I should...

Replies

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I want a bike so bad. I want to ride from coney island to the george washington bridge with the wind in my hair and the sun on my cheeks!

GIMME!!!!
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Yes, Yes, and Yes! You will love it!:flowerforyou:
  • LKLDALLAS
    LKLDALLAS Posts: 19
    Options
    I've lost 35 lbs and that was partly due to biking. I bought a used bike off of Craigslist for $65 and started riding. Now I ride approx 20 miles a day, over bridges, I have to carry my bike up a couple of flights of stairs, I ride uphill and take long, scenic routes. It's wonderful! I love the workout it gives me and I have fun doing it!
  • spikefoot
    spikefoot Posts: 419
    Options
    I love biking, if you can stick with it go for it.

I wish I could get rid of my car but I can't for work.
  • mrsknash
    mrsknash Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I bought a bike only yesterday. If you have the space to store it, I would definitely say "go for it".
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I'm in a very different situation - I live in Maine where the roads are (by and large) pretty bike friendly (and even most of the drivers, too). So mine is my preferred commute to work (30 mile round trip, lots of lovely challenging hills to munch on! Yum!)

If you think you'll be able to use it at all, I'd find a decent used cyclocross or hybrid and rig it up for the roads you think you'll ride - the nice thing about those bikes is that they are pretty capable road bikes, but can carry cargo, and with a quick tire change they're OK on anything but extreme mountain biking. They are the "Jack of all trades" bikes, and they tend to be pretty affordable.

Worst case, invest in a "trainer" - a unit that either replaces or contains the drive wheel and allows you to turn it into a high-quality stationary bike. Then you can use it in the apartment for training, and get out on the roads with it when you can.

Google Maps now has bicycle commuting support. It may be able to help you find a more bike-friendly route.
  • jpinge
    jpinge Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I just recently added bicycling to my workout schedule....let me tell you that I am so glad that I did! I am enjoying it so much and it is quick and easy for me to hop on and get a good burn. But with that being said....I have a great place to ride and I don't have to do anything but take my bike out of the garage and go. I do think that even if you have to take your bike somewhere to ride it will still be a great benefit to you and I think you will enjoy it:) Your butt might protest for awhile but mine has finally gotten the hang of it and doesn't complain quite so much!
  • nml2011
    nml2011 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I can't use my bike to commute to work either - too far;

However I love having a hardtail mountain bike...

Have recently invested in a second set of wheels so that during these summer evenings I can do some road riding locally and at weekends I can swap the wheels and go biking off road in the forest with friends.

A quick 12k cycle is coming out at around 450+ calorie burn so it's definately worth it!
  • marcoscu
    marcoscu Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Biking is great fun.... but not if you live on a hill as I do!
  • mindy14456
    mindy14456 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I love my bike!! I prefer trail riding to city riding, so I have to put it in the carrier and drive to the trails, but it really is so worth it! I mean, I have to drive to the gym too, so there really isn't much difference if you look at it that way. Good luck!!
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I want a bike so bad. I want to ride from coney island to the george washington bridge with the wind in my hair and the sun on my cheeks!

GIMME!!!!

Dude, ditto, I SO want a bike!! Not to ride from Coney Island to the George Washington bridge (only because well, I live in Texas), but where I live is SUPER cyclist friendly and it seems like everyone has a bike. I'd love the be able to ride my bike around town like all the cute hipsters do.

I haven't ridden a bike in like 15 years I don't think, and I have NO idea what kind to get/how much they cost, but bikes are the bomb. Totally get one.
  • chm2616
    chm2616 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    YES! My husband and I bought bikes a few years back. Although I can't ride mine to work (30 min commute), he did for a short time at his former job. We also like to bike on Sunday mornings--there's a great bike/running pack near us! :smile:
  • mlewon
    mlewon Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    if you believe you will bring it to another place to ride and that you will enjoy it, I say go for it! luckily for me I split my time between Boston (very bike friendly) and southeast CT where there are a ton of mountain bike paths. I know if it wasn't for my love of riding combined with the convenience here I probably wouldn't fit it in.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I wanted to commute to work on a bicycle but because the only routes to work involve going over bridges and through tunnels where bicycle traffic is not permitted I would have to take my bicycle on a bus for 2/3 of the trip there and then once I was almost to work after I crossed the last bridge I would then be able to get off and ride the rest of the way. Not viable.

My main question is, if I did get a bike, and considering I don't own a car to transport it on (only motorcycle) what would I do with it considering I can't really ride it anywhere without first putting it on a bus and getting it out of my general area of the city by bus? And considering I have to do that, is it even worth the trouble?
  • princessage117
    princessage117 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I love my bike and I recommend it to everyone! Mountain bike, though!
  • crobl
    crobl Posts: 380
    Options
    The appropriate number of bikes to own is n+1 where n=the number of bikes you currently own.

that's the best math I've seen in awhile =)
  • rydn4h2o
    rydn4h2o Posts: 255
    Options
    um....yes!!! :flowerforyou:
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    if you believe you will bring it to another place to ride and that you will enjoy it, I say go for it! luckily for me I split my time between Boston (very bike friendly) and southeast CT where there are a ton of mountain bike paths. I know if it wasn't for my love of riding combined with the convenience here I probably wouldn't fit it in.

That is my current dilemma. I grew up in a place where I could simply hop on and leave from my house or use it for transportation. That's not an option where I live now because I would first have to transport it somewhere before I could actually ride it. That makes the very idea of owning a bicycle a lot of work and I'm not sure that the hassle of not being able to just get on and ride would make the fun of riding worth it.
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Yes. For the first time since I was a teenager, I bought one last fall, and have now started to bike to work a couple of times a week, depending on the weather and kids' schedules. It took me a little while to figure out a safe route, but now that I have it all down, I love it.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    A quick 12k cycle is coming out at around 450+ calorie burn so it's definately worth it!

Another thing I love about commuting on my bike. My 30 mile round trip burns off calories about as fast as if I set myself on fire. MFP's numbers are very high, but even adjusting them to something more reasonable (I cut them by about 25%) it's a LOT of calories.

I simply cannot eat enough calories to eat back, and it starts to show on the second day. After a few days of cycle-commuting I have to have an eat-back day and add a couple thousand calories and do some minimal-calorie-burn heavy lifting.