Substituting a meal with soup anyone??

Options
2»

Replies

• Kebby83
    Kebby83 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Soup is a meal. My family have tomato soup, grilled cheese sandwich and salad on my lazy "I don't want to cook" night (about once or twice a month) and we love it. But you meant healthy. When I started weightloss I worked private duty taking care of elderly and I always took my 80 cal soups to go with lunch (I had other stuff too but this meant I could feed client and sip at soup at the same time and then eat other stuff when they napped or had a crazy five minutes [best to ignore acting out!] or whatever).

You can make your own but I used to like those select harvest chicken soup - half of it was 80 cals so you could eat the whole thing if your not worried about sodium and it was delicious!
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I think whatever you eat is a meal!!!!

I would love to eat more soup, but, unless it's homemade, it's highin sodium and I need to watch the sodium intake.

Good idea though!!!

Oh, and what is a "skinny soup?"
  • duelistic
    duelistic Posts: 15
    Options
    No one can tell me that a bowl of beef PHO isn't a meal.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

^THIS! Last weekend. Rare beef and brisket!
  • EchoOfYourPast
    EchoOfYourPast Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I love soups...and can eat them for a meal.....my problem is the soups i love to cook ....are the same cals as a meal...so i can only eat about a cup at a time....i cannot stand a canned soup!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    How is soup not a meal already?

I ate a ****load of soup when I was losing weight.
  • SlvrStarr
    SlvrStarr Posts: 47
    Options
    We do soups for lunch and dinner all the time. We try to make a big pot of homemade soup every couple of weeks and then freeze the leftovers in lunch size portions. YUM!
  • HotCuppaJo
    HotCuppaJo Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I did that for a while, love skinny soup very filling and low on cals, but watch out for the high sodium levels

^^^ This
  • mattadams123
    Options
    Hi

Yes, I have been having soup for my lunch now for five weeks and it has made an incredible difference. I don't know of any other filling food that is so low in calories. I like the Heinz Classic range (as low as 125 cals) and the Baxters Healthy Choice range. Soup is good!

Matt.
  • lauralizzy829
    lauralizzy829 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Is soup not a meal?

^^^This. Just like any other meal. You can have a soup full of good and healthy veggies and protein.
  • Zisaleh
    Zisaleh Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    For sure! I serve soup for the main meal all the time!
  • kakiem
    kakiem Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Is soup not a meal?

Exactly what I was going to say...

Although I must admit I have the Glorious skinny soup (munching on a butternut squash one right now) but I have the whole pot. I find that way I don't snack much in the afternoon.
  • kristeen16
    Options
    What is "skinny" soup? Can you provide any brand names or recipes :-)
  • ShaSimone
    ShaSimone Posts: 276
    Options
    In the winter I ate soup a lot. When I was eating soup on a regular I dropped the most weight the fastest, 30 pounds in 3 months. I didn't stick with that because I had was strict on everything I ate. I've kept the weight off but have more flexibility in what I eat now. But to answer the OP question. I eat soup and chili as a meal all the time and it is filling, curbs my appetite and is my comfort food for sure.
  • koreanbro
    koreanbro Posts: 7
    Options
    its been almost 3 weeks now i switch out my lunch meal with Soup and Crackers... This week I'm having variety of soups, yogurts, and a apple for lunch. 220 calories total for soup lunch!!!!
  • Drizap
    Drizap Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hale and Hearty soups are all over NY and they are so good. Definitely a meal.
  • ajg07932
    ajg07932 Posts: 3
    Options
    I joined the site this week. I made a vegetable soup this week, pretty much all veg and fat free chicken broth and herbs etc, and it is very tasty. I have been eating a bowl of it for lunch along with a sandwich made with a slice of low fat swiss cheese, thin slice low sodium ham, and smear of hummus, Getting protein, a lot of vegetable with the soup, and using a whole wheat small pita bread from "best Pita" - 80 Cal. I don't think just soup would work for me, I would get hungry and start eating something else to over compensate.
  • ImpishScoundrel
    Options
    I usually make a large pot of my homemade tomato bisque about once a month. Super low sodium, super low calorie, very hearty and satisfying. Only about 97 calories per 1 cup serving. I eat 2 servings and my appetite and taste buds are completely satisfied, don't feel the need to add a side dish.