How to not have to poop while running

Options
morgansmom02
morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
Can someone please tell me how I can go running and not urgently have to poop after 2 miles? I tried it on am empty stomach and still thought I was going to poop my pants after 2 miles. I have a 5k June 23rd and this is what I am worried about.

Replies

• Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Poop before your run? I don't know.. I run almost every day and have not had this problem.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I force one out now before I go.
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Go before you run. Eat something and then take care of business, then go run.
  • Amcolecchi
    Amcolecchi Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I know! The best thing to do is either drink coffee awhile before so you can go OR...do a warm-up like .5 a mile or a mile, then go home, poop then go back out and do the long run!
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Neva mind...had trouble making the photo smaller
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are having hydration issues- becoming dehydrated can actually cause this.

Best advice, drink a good solid 16 oz of water a couple hours before your run. If you run in the AM, this can be especially tricky. Hydrate well all evening- until about 2 hours before bed. Then make sure to drink at least 8 oz before going out, and carry a water bottle with another 8-20 oz - sip slowly over the course of your run.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    ... i was unaware this was a problem. i think i'm very glad for that time. it was a simpler time.
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are having hydration issues- becoming dehydrated can actually cause this.

Best advice, drink a good solid 16 oz of water a couple hours before your run. If you run in the AM, this can be especially tricky. Hydrate well all evening- until about 2 hours before bed. Then make sure to drink at least 8 oz before going out, and carry a water bottle with another 8-20 oz - sip slowly over the course of your run.

Won't I have to pee then?
  • magisy
    magisy Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    At least for me, I find that I usually get the urge to use the bathroom within about 20-30 minutes of eating. So, I make a point of waking up early enough to eat and eliminate BEFORE I run.

However, my sister frequently skips breakfast and finds that she has to eliminate during runs. She's gone just about everywhere- in alleys, bushes, behind dumpsters, etc- she even makes of point of bringing tissues with her for wiping... :noway:

Also, finding a running route with a bathroom is useful. At least in our area, there are some stores, restaurants and even a hospital that are runner friendly.
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I force one out now before I go.

This ^^^^ I have this problem sometimes, too, and I've actually had to stop a long run short because of it. It is what it is. They call it runners' bowel. Most people don't get it until AFTER the run has been over for awhile, though. Good luck!
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I would maybe read up on the 'diet of a runner' via google or something. It may have something to do with what you are eating. I knwo I'm pretty 'scheduled' so I know when I have to go and don't run AM until it is done. I know if I run 8-12 miles I end up with the 'trots' afterwords if I've had a ton of high fiber foods the week previous. Finding a balance for your body is important, or just plan your routes around a toilet until you can get the timing worked out. Stop and go, and then keep running.
  • PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    If its only a 5k and happens after 2 miles..... just go theres only 1.1 to go... maybe you can shave some time off from less weight..
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    You can run 1 mile and head back home to go if all else fails.
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Exercise is actually recommended to keep your digestive system healthy and active. Sounds like you have a very active GI system, as this is normal. I wouldn't complain. I wish it was as simple as that for me. :)
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options

I think you will just have to experiment with all of this until you get what works for your body, we are all so different.
  • _hi_hat3r_
    _hi_hat3r_ Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    lol
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options

Being hydrated and making sure you have more "clean" and fiber filled foods often help keep you pretty regular. The pattern for me is usually: Wake up pee/poop, weigh, drink water while getting dressed, go out run, come in and pee again. I mean, if you're drinking RIGHT before you go out, it shouldn't really hit you for the 1/2 hour-45 min you run, right? My best advice is just good hydration and eating as regularly/healthily as possible. It will train your body to go around your activity.
  • spikefoot
    spikefoot Posts: 419
    Options
    I was photographing a marathon once and there was a huge line up to the bathroom stalls and the urinals were empty (total opposite of a normal day in the men washroom elsewhere).

Your only option is go before or start to eat really poorly so you are a constipated, crampy runner.

You are not cursed, consider yourself lucky on some levels ;)
  • johnlatv
    johnlatv Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    this happens to me sometimes. i have no trick to fix it, it's hit or miss, usually happens on a longer run and i have been lucky i've been able to find a bathroom along the way. I try to go before i run but that doesn't happen all the time.

good luck, i know it SUCKS
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know myself! It's hella annoying. :/