Running NSV! Difference in 2 months.

Options
I started running in January and my trainer had me slow way down to work on form, then gradually increase. It got easier and easier but I've never been fast. My goal at first was 10 minute miles, then 10 minute miles for an hour and I hit those.

As spring came I wanted to run outside and gradually increased my distance there. A couple of miles from me is an 8.5 mile loop around the river, beautiful peaceful run, and on April 9, after I had been consistently running 7 miles on the treadmill, I decided to try it. And I finished, it felt amazing.

Since then I've run the loop 2-3x per week, occasionally pushing myself longer, up to 10 miles. Twice (2 weeks ago and this past Monday) I ran 13, which felt awesome. I've run about 40 miles/wk since April. I knew my time was getting faster but today when I had my fastest time ever I went back to see how far I've come since the first time a ran it.

On April 9 I ran the 8.5 mile loop in 90 minutes. Today, 2 months later, I did it in 79.3 minutes! I can barely believe I've broken 10 minute miles, let alone 9.5!

Replies

• sgmomma
    sgmomma Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Congrats I'm extremely jealous!
  • MissyMissy18
    MissyMissy18 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    You are awesome!!
  • mjf0461
    mjf0461 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Thats a awesome NSV....CONGRATS........
  • shoegal517
    shoegal517 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    that's amazing. I'll be happy if I can run my first 5K in a week and a half without stopping :smile:
  • biggergirlsrun2
    Options
    Great job!!
  • kizmax
    kizmax Posts: 12
    Options
    yayyy well done ! ... also has anyone on here read the book Run Fat ***** Run ... by Ruth Fields - totally awesome book if anyone is new to running buy it read it - IT WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE !! I went from no running to running a 10k in 4 months .. in 68mins I swear its so motivational & funny it really works !

ha ha they edited the name of the book !! cos its a swear word ! sorry !!! it its run fat Bit#h run !
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! You were a lot faster than a lot of us, even when you thought you were slow! I started C25K in December, and my best pace for a 4 miles run is 10:18 per mile, but usually it is over 11 min per.

Very impressive!
  • helenmc40
    helenmc40 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    awesome!! Just goes to show you dedication and hardwork will pay off!!

I too am very jealous!!
  • Jul158
    Jul158 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Wow!! This is my inspiration : ) I just started running 'longer' distances (i.e. 6-7 miles) and am looking to better my times! So awesome.
  • ItIsJessMe
    ItIsJessMe Posts: 19
    Options
    Thanks everyone! And what's really cool is that I didn't even focus on time that much. My trainer thinks that injuries come when people try to increase distance and speed simultaneously so he said focus on distance. So when I ran outside, that's all I did, I didn't try to go quickly. (When I run on the treadmill though I do work on speed).

So the speed increase really happened without effort or without my realizing it!

Oh and I started a lot slower than 10 minutes, that was my initial goal; I probably started around 11 minute miles in January.

But I do have the luxury of running a lot. My job is very intense Aug-Jan, and I'll barely fit in 30 min/day then. But the rest of the year it's totally low key, I work maybe 10-15 hours/wk, so I can work out every day, pretty much for as long as I want. So I run 5 days/wk for an hour or more, and once a week for about 30 minutes with 30 minutes of strength training with my trainer.
  • jodiebarrette
    jodiebarrette Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Wow - I am very jealous! I've been running since January as well. Just completed my first Half Marathon.... but my pace is usually between 11:00 - 12:00 minutes per mile. Im not sure how to get to under 10:00 minute miles!
  • ItIsJessMe
    Options
    Congrats on your first half! That's amazing. I'm signed up for my first in November and I'm nervous about it. (My training will drop a lot after August when my job heats up).

Just keep running. I didn't believe it would bring my time down but I'm starting to think everyone who told me that was right!
  • Curvimami
    Curvimami Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your achievement!!!
  • natvanessa
    natvanessa Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!
    You know I've just recently started running too and I notice that every time I do a long run, my time is faster and I'm able to go farther.
    It's just amazing what the human body can do, right?

Keep it up!
  • happyfrogg
    happyfrogg Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    That is so fantastic! Congratulations to you. You're an inspiration; I'm still working up to running anything longer than 5 minutes.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Great Job! When you think that even 1 or 2 seconds per mile sets records, these are really significant increases. Hard work pays off!
  • FunandFitMom
    FunandFitMom Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Way to go! That's an awesome accomplishment!
  • kaciroberts1585
    kaciroberts1585 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    That's so great! Way to go!

I just really started running, using the C25K program and I was under 12 min mile last night for the first time ever. Didn't think that would ever happen.

Thanks for sharing your NSV. It's great motivation to keep running!
  • larkiedeek
    larkiedeek Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting. Well done.

I started running last week on the treadmill. I picked up an injury on my third run.

I was managing 35 min runs by then. I managed to get an adductor strain and have now not run for 5 days.

What kind of things was the trainer suggesting you change in your form?
  • ItIsJessMe
    Options
    Thanks for posting. Well done.

I started running last week on the treadmill. I picked up an injury on my third run.

I was managing 35 min runs by then. I managed to get an adductor strain and have now not run for 5 days.

What kind of things was the trainer suggesting you change in your form?

First he had me slow down, having me run 4.7-5.2 mph. The other things were physical - I moved my hands too much, he wanted them still and relaxed, lower than I was holding them, thumbs on top. I leaned forward too much, he had me ease back a bit. Also he emphasized trying to make my foot falls as quiet as possible, by adjusting my toe position or where I land. I still haven't gotten that skill down!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!