Half an hour at the gym - is that enough?

Options

Replies

• wwk10
    wwk10 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I only read the first two pages but I think I am in the minority when I say 30 minutes is fine.
    I exerciesd for 5 minutes a day at first.
    I did pushups and that was it.
    Then I started also doing pullups.
    Then I started running 1 x / week
    I think you will increase time naturally as you become stronger and fitter.
    Now I run 2 miles 2-3/week
    Play tennis 30-45 minutes 2/week
    Jump rope for 5 minutes 3x/week
    Do 100 pushups, 15 pullups and 30 dips.

Even my new increased amount of exercise is not very many minutes, but I see results.
    I am toner and have little baby muscles.
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I say YES! As long as you are staying under calorie and seeing results, GO FOR IT!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Some of you are ridiculous. It's stuff like this that discourages people from exercise altogether.

OP, ANY amount of exercise you can do is better than nothing. If you're wanting to be full-on ripped, then yeah, you'll need more than what you currently have planned (and you can build up to that over time). But if weight loss is your objective, then as others have said, you don't need any exercise for that at all as long as you keep your calories in check. But again, any exercise beats NO exercise. Start with whatever you feel comfortable with and go from there.

I didn't read the through the entire post either. But I agree with this whole-heartedly. Before I changed my lifestyle part of the reason I didn't exercise was because I had this mental block that if I can't go for an hour, why waste my time. It was really flawed thinking.

Now that it's summer and I don't have to help get the kids ready for school I can get to the weight room early and do what I'd "like" to do. However, before that I had a weekly plan that involved 20 minutes workouts in the weight room over my lunch hour 3 times a week. It was effective as I could "feel" the workout the rest of the day, and I like the longer term results.

Is that how I want to work out? No, but it's doing something, and something is better than nothing.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Spending a half hour at the gym focusing on lifting while supplementing it with some form of cardio you do at home is plenty. If you work out in splits you can hit all your muscle groups over the course of a week in 30 minutes of resistance training a day. You To see best results however you will need to supplement it with some form of cardio in non-gym time on top of it. Say, going for a 20-30 minute run or walk.
  • bga008
    bga008 Posts: 90
    Options
    I always say ...every little bit helps! And plus it's better than being at home sitting on you bottom.

I even do little 3 minute workouts @ home....

I have also read studies that the first 15 minutes of working out REALLY counts....

so just keep moving!! even if it is only minutes or hours....doesn't matter as long as your moving your body!
  • scanners107
    scanners107 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same situation i work 60 hours per week and have finally been allowed a lunch break. So i intend on running to the gym completing 30 minutes of weights and running back this totals about 50 minutes of exercise over dinner which should help.

I plan on doing a 5 day split through the week and hopefully get an hour in Sunday morning by doing a full body or a circuit.
  • jr235
    jr235 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Alot of people have already commented, but I think you are fine with 30 minutes 3 times a week plus a walk on your lunch break. That is exactly the same as my older sister, she 37, 5ft tall, and very slender. She is, however, very careful with what she eats.

I agree with whoever else has said try to make your gym workouts high intensity and/or weights.

Also, there are quite a lot of videos on youtube. After you get started if you're really feeling the fitness you may want to add 20-30 minutes of videos another morning or two a week. I do this and have been losing inches and finally lost some weight too!
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    On the local news during their healthy life segment they said that longer is NOT always better. They found that between 30 minutes and an hour were the best for fat burning. And unless your training for a marathon running for more than an hour does not burn more fat. I don't know I'm not an expert, I'm just repeating what they said. Me personally I think that between 30 minutes and hour is enough time, but then again anything more than that for me is boring.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    On the local news during their healthy life segment they said that longer is NOT always better. They found that between 30 minutes and an hour were the best for fat burning. And unless your training for a marathon running for more than an hour does not burn more fat. I don't know I'm not an expert, I'm just repeating what they said. Me personally I think that between 30 minutes and hour is enough time, but then again anything more than that for me is boring.

Beyond a certain point, there's no overall health benefit to going any further/longer. The only thing you're accomplishing is further increasing the amount of calories it takes to keep your body running properly. Yes you do see continued gains in terms of overall endurance, but it can come at a cost to other areas of fitness. At that point you're pigeonholing your body into only one aspect of fitness.
  • JaxDemon
    JaxDemon Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    30 mins is fine it's about the effort you put in. If I had 30 mins I would spend around 20 mins on weights and get 10 mins hiit in.after.
  • sandylion
    sandylion Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I had great success doing the strong lifts 5x5 program. It's only about a half an hour 3 times a week and I saw wonderful results. Also, lifting weights gave me wonderful tone!
  • GradatimFerociter
    GradatimFerociter Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Well, any improvement is good though that routine may not be giving you a particularly good return on your investment. If 30 minutes is what you have then just try to use it wisely. Not everyone has the same schedule or the same motivations so just try it and see how it works for you.
  • SeanSilk
    SeanSilk Posts: 12
    Options
    It depends on your body type. And fitness level. Each of the body types require different exercise regimens.
    Check out these websites for the best info.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw70.htm

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/becker3.htm
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    It depends on your body type. And fitness level. Each of the body types require different exercise regimens.
    Check out these websites for the best info.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw70.htm

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/becker3.htm

Dude, pay attention to the dates on the threads you seach for (which is an odd mix, based on your posting history). Every one of yours has been in response to an old and dead thread.
  • thejbuchh
    thejbuchh Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Different things work for different people (as I'm sure we are all aware of. However, while 30 minutes may seem nothing to one person, it can be something to another. For me personally, 30 minutes would be my first exercise of the day (yes I do more than one workout a day). What I usually do is I start with my Dailyburn workout in the morning (usually 28-30 minutes), then I go head to the gym at planet fitness for 30 minutes. Then after work, I go home and do the dailyburn 365 workout. That gives me about 1.5 hours a day of working out. All different levels of intensity. But again it is more about what you eat.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Losing weight will come from eating at a deficit. If you do that, you will shed pounds automatically. Think of the gym as "winning" extra calories that you can consume (it's recommended to only eat back half). Honestly, I used to be like you and focus on getting a half-hour in at the gym and then being done with it. Now I struggle to get everything I want to do in a 2-hour time period. Start small, but the more you hit the gym the more variations you will want to do and the easier it will be to stay for an hour or two. Also, it's not really about the "time" spent at the gym - it's about what you are doing in that time.
  • Int3rceptor
    Int3rceptor Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    If you are limited to 30 minutes then you may want to incorporate HIIT instead of steady state cardio.
    30 minutes of HIIT (providing you keep the intensity up) will leave you exhausted and feeling like you've had a good workout!
  • chriseatsedamame
    Options
    In my opinion, I don't think is really about time, I think it's more about the effort so 30 minute is atleast the minimum.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I think your time would be better spent on doing either cardio or strength training for the full 30 min and alternating days. You can get a full body strength workout done in 30 min, and it would be better to hit all those muscles 2-3x week rather than just some parts for the 10 min at the end of your cardio. If you continue your walks at lunch, you don't necessarily have to do more cardio at the gym.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    🧟‍♂️ 🧟‍♀️