How to build muscle/shed fat but NOT lose more weight

Options
I have met and surpassed my goal weight. I am 5'6" with a small frame and I currently weigh 122.4. I calculated my BMI today and I am at 19.5 which is starting to be on the lower end of healthy. I am happy with my self right now but I want to build more muscle and shed just a little more fat. I do not want to lose more weight. Is this even possible? I do not log my food and I would guess I eat around 1800-2000 calories per day.

Am I going to have to start logging my food again just to maintain? Reaching my goal weight took a long time but it seemed a lot easier than trying to maintain a weight while still changing my body. Any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy and eat at maintenance should help with body recomposition, I would think.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Eat maintenance and start a program like Starting Strength or New Rules...For women.

Rippetoe suggests adding a gallon of milk today and eating heaping bowls of ground beef. This probably isn't for everyone (Ewww, right? Save time and just make ground beef cereal...) but points out the importance of upping calories like crazy to build muscle.

Fat DOES come with muscle, unfortunately. But you can always remove the fat later, and be left with most of the muscle gained.

You could also look into Leangains. Tons of people have success with it. I keep trying to use it, but don't have the discipline.
  • PinkKitty724
    PinkKitty724 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    bump. I am interested in this, too. I am 5 lbs from goal weight, then I will be trying to tone up like cuh-razyyy! :)
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you should be eating at a surplus. Though it may be daunting for you, I think starting to log your food again would definitely help. You could be underestimating what you are eating or even what your maintenance level is. Just my thoughts on the matter.
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Eat more, 1800+ calories and include more protein - then lift heavy.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    L.I.F.T. H.E.A.V.Y.
    And EAT
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I am trying to lift heavier but I don't have a gym until the fall. For now, I have ten pound weights and body weight strength exercises. I think the hardest thing is switching my mindset to eating more. I already feel like I have added a lot of calories back into my day but obviously not enough. I will adjust my daily calories and start logging for a while. Summer makes it tough when I still cycle so much and eat less than I would in the winter.

ETA: MFP just set my net cals to 1590 just to maintain! Doesn't that seem awfully low?

I guess I'll stop thinking about fat loss for now. Just don't like the jiggly bits on my nice, strong legs.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    gain muscle and lose fat...not impossible but not possible unless you've been doing this waaay too long and know more than tons about nutrition and lifting.
  • Robertt300zx
    Robertt300zx Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    less cardio more lifting way,the body is a game and you are the player.you did ok.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy and eat more. You need a surplus to build muscle. It's hard to lose fat while trying to put on a good amount of muscle. You might gain a little fat in the process depending on how much of a surplus your at but it can be shed later. Yet if you don't have a surplus, you can't really build much muscle.
  • MrsSassyPants
    MrsSassyPants Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I'm on the wrong end of this conversation. Lol! Although I try not to worry about weight nearly as much as size.