Glycemic Index

Options
Does anyone tried this diet? I readed something about it, and it sounds pretty logically. What you are thinking about this? Should I try it or not?

Replies

• Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    GI doesn't really matter much.
  • sgj104
    sgj104 Posts: 8
    Options
    The GI does matter, quite a bit, particularly if you are a female and are obese. I have PCOS and the glycemic index of foods make a large difference in how we process sugar into fat.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Glycemic load matters a bit, glycemic index, not so much. Once you eat more than one type of food together, you've completely changed the glycemic index, making it totally meaningless.

EX: Bread has a higher glycemic index, bread with butter on it has a very low glycemic index.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    A baked potato has a pretty high GI. Higher than a lot of candies.
    The GI does matter, quite a bit, particularly if you are a female and are obese. I have PCOS and the glycemic index of foods make a large difference in how we process sugar into fat.
    I am assuming the OP does not have PCOS.
  • marg3049
    marg3049 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You asked if anyone has tried the GI diet. I'm working on it and find it excellent. I don't consider it a diet, rather a meal plan. I am in the process of creating a cookbook with low glycemic recipes in it. I have been using low glycemic for about 2 months now and have lost 20 pounds. More importantly, my insulin levels are down from 233 to 220. That's not much and not nearly enough, but it is a start and I plan to keep going and get them down lower yet. They need to be somewhere between 35 and 140 so I have a ways to go.
    That's alright, however, as they are headed in the right direction.

I really find the low glycemic meal plan quite good to use. It works for me. The biggest challenge I find is in figuring out what to have for breakast. Eggs are great and you can have bacon or sausage but the challenge is to find something besides eggs. I am working on that and will share some recipes once I have a few more created.

Let me know if you decide to follow the low GI way of eating.
    Marg
  • marg3049
    marg3049 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Someone just sent me a private message asking about how to deal with wanting bread. I thought I'd share my answer here so it might be helpful for others as well.

You don't have to replace bread. You can eat some bread, just not as much as you used to. You can substitute some things for bread as well. For example, you can make up some tea biscuits and use one of them instead of bread for a small sandwicxh. Use the tea biscuit open-faced so it seems to last longer and be more than it seems.

Than's just one example of something you can do to help with the bread challenge.

I would add to that: I have also found that I can have 3 or 4 bread sticks and that works well. Another trick I use is that I get sliced turkey and wrap veggies and light mayo up in it and use the turkey as a 'bread' rather than actual bread.

Hope this is helpful.

Marg