Help! Is This Dangerous???? (starvation mode)

Options
i have been researching and i looked up my TDEE and Bmr

TDEE is 2612

bmr is 1636

i have been only eating at most 1510 calories a day and i exercise 60 to 90 minutes a day. am i starving myself? my weight loss has slowed dramatically

how many calories should i really be eating

Replies

• Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

TDEE is 2612

bmr is 1636

i have been only eating at most 1510 calories a day and i exercise 60 to 90 minutes a day. am i starving myself? my weight loss has slowed dramatically

No idea to be honest, too many figures and calculations flying around all over the place, enough to send a person loony.

I am on 1200 calories per day, I go into exercise calories by 50 to 100 when I exercise, some sessions I burn nearly 600. I am not starving and have lost weight consistently.

Look at what you eat, rather than be obsessed with figures.
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options

TDEE is 2612

bmr is 1636

Well, let's put it this way.

Your body needs 1636 to survive in a health way, doing absolutely nothing but lying down and breathing (no bathroom breaks!).

If you workout for 60 minutes and burn, say, 500 calories... and you've eaten just 1500 that day... you're essentially telling your body to survive on 1,000 calories per day. If your body needs 1636 to function at 100% efficiency and you're giving it just 1,000... it's ultimately going to backfire.

You might lose weight, but possibly not the right weight. Possibly not in the healthiest way. And, what's worse, you'll be doing things internally that you CAN'T see (or necessarily feel right away). Also, whenever you hit your goal and return to maintenance calories, your body is going to grab and hold onto all the calories it can, to store as fat (because it has been feeling deprived).

So, yeah, you can lose weight eating below your BMR, but it's not the healthy way to go and it's not sustainable for too long.
  • kimmysueneal
    kimmysueneal Posts: 83 Member
    Options

TDEE is 2612

bmr is 1636

Your body needs 1636 to survive in a health way, doing absolutely nothing but lying down and breathing (no bathroom breaks!).

If you workout for 60 minutes and burn, say, 500 calories... and you've eaten just 1500 that day... you're essentially telling your body to survive on 1,000 calories per day. If your body needs 1636 to function at 100% efficiency and you're giving it just 1,000... it's ultimately going to backfire.

You might lose weight, but possibly not the right weight. Possibly not in the healthiest way. And, what's worse, you'll be doing things internally that you CAN'T see (or necessarily feel right away). Also, whenever you hit your goal and return to maintenance calories, your body is going to grab and hold onto all the calories it can, to store as fat (because it has been feeling deprived).

So, yeah, you can lose weight eating below your BMR, but it's not the healthy way to go and it's not sustainable for too long.

Love this
  • deevatude
    deevatude Posts: 322 Member
    Options

TDEE is 2612

bmr is 1636

i think i hit another plateau

i currently have my profile to a pound a week now im gonna change it to .5 a week to see if this helps.
  • watboy
    watboy Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I don't know my BMR my TDEE or what other acronym that is being tossed around. I may not be the right person to give you advice but all I can say all those equations are not needed. Eat healthy work out. That's simple math you and anyone can do.
  • sweetteacher123
    Options
    Though it seems counterintuitive, a lot of people increase their calories when they hit a plateau. It keeps the body from conserving and keeps the metabolism revved up. Up your calories so your eating back all your exercise calories, or close to it. It may help.
  • siriusalien
    siriusalien Posts: 207
    Options

TDEE is 2612

bmr is 1636

So with MY BMR (I'm new to this game) of 1636 ( self calculated) Should I eat my exercise calories to keep caloric intake at 1636
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    So with MY BMR (I'm new to this game) of 1636 ( self calculated) Should I eat my exercise calories to keep caloric intake at 1636
    Just eat less than you use :-)

You'll use at least 2000 calories sitting around if that BMR is correct, and some more if you exercise. If you eat 1600 you'll be at least 400 in deficit and losing. If you don't then your BMR or exercise or food intake isn't what you think it is.
  • ready2tryagain42
    Options
    I rarely worrying about all those things. I just eat healthy and workout and am going on 1400-1700 calories a day depending on workouts. I have lost 2 pounds a week since I started using MFP again in mid May.
  • 1nsanity
    1nsanity Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    to really kick your body into starvation mode, you would have to consumer very high deficits for a sustained amount of time. its not like a light switch that goes on and off. have a cheat day once a week, do some calorie zig zag, etc. all while exercising and youll be fine!
  • LBachynsky
    LBachynsky Posts: 64
    Options
    My weight loss slowed down, then stopped, after being on 1190, then 1200, then 1300. I kept increasing my calories trying to get it going again. I began losing motivation instead of weight and started eating more. It didn't help that there was an entire week of events at work all involving yummy food! I continued to eat the extra food for a few weeks and got lax on my food diary.

Then I read an article about resetting metabolism. You can find the same info in the group Eat more to Lose more (or whatever it's called). Anyway, I kept at the scale through all of this and I never went below 155, but never went above 158 either. I just kept yo-yo-ing between the two. Then suddenly, the weight evened out and stayed steady at 155.

2 days later (just 3 days ago), I started back up and got serious again. I'm back to steady logging of everything I eat, watching my macros, and getting all 140g of protein every day. I took myself back down to 1390 calories per day. So far, I'm down a quick 2 pounds below my lowest!!

The theory is that your body learns to live on the calories it is supplied. Especially if you're on a VLCD. Reset and start again!!
  • SilkyHotspur
    SilkyHotspur Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Just remember, BMR and other calculations are not exact...none of them. It is all based on good science and principles, but none of them are exact and cannot be blanket used for everyone. No 1200 calorie diet is right for everyone....Eat Stop Eat is not right for everyone. It takes time to try one thing....it works for a while..then stops, try something else...give it time, it works...then it stops.

I think the only thing all plans agree on (and even that is saying a lot), is that 3500 calories equals 1lb, and you must have a calorie deficit to lose weight. Now how you achieve that, again....lots of approaches and theories, just keep at it and give each one time to work.

Also...forgot to add the most important part. Forget the scale, what about the tape measure?..hips, waist, arms, chest?...have those reduced at all?.....what about body fat%, has it gone down.

Scale doesn't tell you everything
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options

Your body needs 1636 to survive in a health way, doing absolutely nothing but lying down and breathing

You see this idea here a lot, that you need to 'eat' your BMR to fuel your basic functions. Your body does not have to meet its basic functions on the calories you take in through your mouth today. It has all those stored ones you took in through your mouth last month and last year. They fuel bodily functions just fine.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

TDEE is 2612

bmr is 1636

No idea to be honest, too many figures and calculations flying around all over the place, enough to send a person loony.

I am on 1200 calories per day, I go into exercise calories by 50 to 100 when I exercise, some sessions I burn nearly 600. I am not starving and have lost weight consistently.

Look at what you eat, rather than be obsessed with figures.

Well said.