Healthy, High Cal Workout Snack

Options
Emili03
Emili03 Posts: 164 Member
I always see posts about people not eating enough calories and saying they just can't eat enough due to how healthy they are eating. I've been there, done that. You get so used to trying to restrict cals and fat so much that you aren't sure how to add cals back in without overeating or eating unhealthy snacks. Anyway, here is a fast and simple recipe that I made and love for breakfast or workout snack that is packed with healthy food and high cals. <3

Toast- 1 slice of Nature's Own 100% Whole Grain Bread with Flaxseed. Then top it with 1 tbsp. low fat creamy peanut butter (Great Value), 1 tbsp. Nutella, 1 medium banana sliced. Yum!

Nutritional Info: Calories 405 Carbs 64 Fat 14 Protein 11 Fiber 9 Iron 12

Replies

• em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    sounds interesting, ive never had bananas and bread together might have to try it out!
  • Emili03
    Options
    sounds interesting, ive never had bananas and bread together might have to try it out!

lol, stole part of my idea from Elvis's famous peanut butter and banana sandwich! I love Elvis! I know I'm from another time. :)
  • WannaBeHealthyMe
    WannaBeHealthyMe Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but Nutella is not healthy. The nutrition stats are the same as a Dove milk chocolate bar. Also, you should go with the full-fat peanut butter. Low-fat only has a few less calories and it takes out the healthy fats and replaces them with empty carbs.
  • irefusetoquit
    Options
    I always see posts about people not eating enough calories and saying they just can't eat enough due to how healthy they are eating. I've been there, done that. You get so used to trying to restrict cals and fat so much that you aren't sure how to add cals back in without overeating or eating unhealthy snacks. Anyway, here is a fast and simple recipe that I made and love for breakfast or workout snack that is packed with healthy food and high cals. <3

Toast- 1 slice of Nature's Own 100% Whole Grain Bread with Flaxseed. Then top it with 1 tbsp. low fat creamy peanut butter (Great Value), 1 tbsp. Nutella, 1 medium banana sliced. Yum!

You're right! One of the biggest challenges I've had in the past few years after cutting out the foods that I don't want to eat becuase its unhealthy was finding foods that I COULD eat that were nutritous! Being a fincky eater didn't make it easier, but it made me selective about the foods TO eat!

What I can recommend is research the foods you're going to eat. Everything is on the web. If you're uncomfortable with it, get somethign else. If you're eating at a restaurant, you can always request for foods to be serviced with sauces on the side or without the sauces/toppings. That will drastically cut down the calories and nutritional values. :)

@Emil03 - I like the toast snack! Hey, nothing wrong with lovin' Elvis! Lately, I've been appreciating the older tunes more than the current ones. Its why they're CLASSICS! :)
  • irefusetoquit
    Options

With snacks, I'm a little simpler.
    celery with peanut butter
    fresh fruit

Lately, I've had crackers for a snack. Problem is - they're all high in carbs. If I could make my OWN crackers/cookies for a snack, I would. Still it comes down to the same thing - what's the nutritional value for them.
  • irefusetoquit
    Options
    Sorry, but Nutella is not healthy. The nutrition stats are the same as a Dove milk chocolate bar. Also, you should go with the full-fat peanut butter. Low-fat only has a few less calories and it takes out the healthy fats and replaces them with empty carbs.
    Ok, here's a peanut butter example.

Skippy All Natural Creamy Peanut butter vs. Skippy low fat peanut butter

This is for ONE tablespoon:

All Natural Creamy:
    Cal 95 Tot fat 8g Sat Fat 2g Sod 75mg Carbs 3g Fiber 1g Sugar 2g Pro 4g

Low fat:
    Cal 90 Tot fat 6g Sat Fat 1g Sod 60mg Carbs 6g Fiber 1g Sugar 1g Pro 2g

Even though low fat has lower amounts of everything, if the healthy fats are removed and replaced with empty carbs I wouldn't waste my time or money on it. Personally, I'd rather be able to burn those fats with exercise than have them stick with me.
  • Emili03
    Options
    Ok, here's a peanut butter example.

Skippy All Natural Creamy Peanut butter vs. Skippy low fat peanut butter

This is for ONE tablespoon:

All Natural Creamy:
    Cal 95 Tot fat 8g Sat Fat 2g Sod 75mg Carbs 3g Fiber 1g Sugar 2g Pro 4g

Low fat:
    Cal 90 Tot fat 6g Sat Fat 1g Sod 60mg Carbs 6g Fiber 1g Sugar 1g Pro 2g

Even though low fat has lower amounts of everything, if the healthy fats are removed and replaced with empty carbs I wouldn't waste my time or money on it. Personally, I'd rather be able to burn those fats with exercise than have them stick with me.

Wow! I had no idea about them taking out healthy fats! What the heck are they thinking?! Thanks for the tip! I'd prefer to go buy all natural peanut butter anyway but it's super expensive where I live.
  • Emili03
    Options
    Also, I've been trying to add more protein to my diet without eating lots of meat. It's crazy that there is less protein in the lower fat version too!