Heartrate in excess of 85% Max

Options
Is this horrible? I routinely exceed the 85% mark for most of my cardio and never really thought anything about it until I did the math. I just thought that was normal. I normally do high intensity cardio for about 40 or 45 minutes with the max heart rate in the low 160s. When I do the calculations, I see that 85% of my max heart rate is right at 150. I always go over 150! My heartrate returns to normal very quickly and I'm not sore or fatigued. I have worked out pretty much all my adult life. Should I continue or make a conscious effort to lower my heartrate during workouts?

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Unless you know your true maximum heart rate, you don't know if you are exercising in excess of 85%. There is also a difference between 85% of max heart rate and 85% of max heart rate reserve. This first number is a vigorous intensity level, but not super intense. 85% of max HRR is very hard and is not something that most people can sustain for very long.

In short, the answer to whether you should lower your intensity is "no".
  • sherry9300
    sherry9300 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I will have to look up the HRR because I really haven't heard of that. My HRM is always trying to get me to train in a lower zone, so using it has really made me pay attention to where my heart rate is during a workout.
  • NOLA_Meg
    NOLA_Meg Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    If you feel uncomfortable (dizzy, etc) then it is too high. However, the HRMs tend to want you in the "fat-burning" zone where your calories spent are "coming from stored fat." However, you're still burning calories, and more of them at that heart-rate so as long as you are comfortable and can sustain that heart-rate it should be fine. I'm sure there'll be a tornado of differing opinions for you to sort through soon, but I think it comes down to you working out in a zone where your heart-rate is elevated but you're not gasping for every breath.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    There is an ideal zone where you burn the most fat. Too much, and you're not burning the fat stores you might think you are. Too low, and same thing. But, there's a mid-zone where it's ideal. That's why your HRM is pushing you there. This, along with eat more to lose more are a few of the non-obvious things about working out and dieting. It's worth reading up on. Google it. there are probably thousands of articles on it.
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Never really thought about this but I know that depending on what cardio I'm doing my max heart rate is usually around 165 and I try to stay between that and 150-155. Now you have me wondering what my % is? I have a HRM will it tell me on there? It's fairly new and I haven't played around with all of the features.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I will have to look up the HRR because I really haven't heard of that. My HRM is always trying to get me to train in a lower zone, so using it has really made me pay attention to where my heart rate is during a workout.

Your HRM uses a generic calculation to estimate max HR. Most likely if you can sustain a HR as high as you are doing for as long as you are, your max HR is actually higher then the HRM suggests, which means you are at a lower % of maximum. the other issue with this is that the HRM assumes intensity based on HR vs. max HR, so your HRM thinks you are working out harder than you are, which will cause it to over estimate your actual calorie burn.

The HRM uses 220- age to get max HR which would be 177 for you. If you have the option, change the max HR to something more like 195 or 200.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    There is an ideal zone where you burn the most fat. Too much, and you're not burning the fat stores you might think you are. Too low, and same thing. But, there's a mid-zone where it's ideal. That's why your HRM is pushing you there. This, along with eat more to lose more are a few of the non-obvious things about working out and dieting. It's worth reading up on. Google it. there are probably thousands of articles on it.

zones are a crock of *kitten*, and should be ignores. the harder you workout the more cals you burn the better shape you get in. Where the weight loss comes from will come down to total deficit, how much strength training you do, how much protein you get and genetics.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend talking to your doctor about a stress test, but you've already self-diagnosed a safe heart rate. That which does not kill you makes you stronger.

Seriously, if you're concerned about it, talk to your doc during your next physical. Sustaining very high heart rates is usually just a matter of diminishing returns in healthy people - if you're running at 95% you can't sustain it for long, and you aren't burning THAT much more than you would at a more sustainable 85%. However, if you have an underlying condition, you could find yourself testing your max heart rate "to failure", which is not good.

If you feel comfortable and able to sustain what your heart rate monitor thinks is well over 85%, then your real maximum is probably a bit higher than you think. Don't push it much beyond what you've already proven is safe until you've found out your real max.

Even minor and invisible defects like bicuspid heart valves, which are extremely common and not at all dangerous under "normal load", can (in rare cases) cause sudden and serious problems if you push your heart too hard. The risk is very low, but can be pretty much eliminated with a pretty simple EKG.
  • sherry9300
    sherry9300 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    For my estimation I just used the 220 minus my age. What caught my attention on the matter was an article about how working out at a higher percentage was considered anaerobic, and then I further looked into it and found articles on anaerobic zones and they highlighted that these are reached during HIIT so I'm left more confused because I know enough to know that HIIT is very effective. I really did want to get varying opinions and thoughts from everyone because this is not something I have seen discussed on the boards and doing a search didn't really help me.

At this point, my goal is to be healthier and not so much a weight loss issue. Now, if I lose a couple of pounds in the process I'm not going to complain, but that's not what it's about.