Question about heart rate monitor?

Options
I have a Polar F4 and I am curious about the calorie burn numbers. I just got a it recently so I have been experimenting with it to see what it does. One day I sat in the sunshine reading with it on to see what it did, I obviously use it when working out or riding... but the other day I threw it on when we went to a parade to see what would happen. I set it when we left the house and we walked a block or two to get to the parade route, then we stood around watching. I was either standing still or standing swaying a 20 pound baby. Then we went for about a mile walk to get some breakfast then a mile home.

When I got home I checked what it said and it said 411. WHAT? That can't be right, I only walked two miles and it was pretty leisurely. But it was spread out over a while and much of it was just standing around. So my question is this:

When using a Polar monitor, does the calorie burned number INCLUDE your BMR or is that subtracted out? For example, if it says I burned 411 calories over about a two hour period and my BMR for that same period is about 144, should I subtract that from the 411 and add the difference (267) to my diary or is that already done by the HRM? I have my activity level set to sedentary so I do like to add walks and stuff but I don't want to grossly overstate what I'm burning.

Also, I'm trying not to obsess over numbers and such and as you can see, it's not working.

Replies

• BetherFace
    BetherFace Posts: 48
    Options
    Bump?
  • NOLA_Meg
    NOLA_Meg Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Polar HRM are very inaccurate for non-cardio-based workout times. A fitbit, BodyBugg, etc would be more accurate.
  • michaelfurey
    Options
    It measures your heart rate and adds up the numbers based on your age, weight, and bpm (beats per minute). don't subtract your BMR. your number burned is your number burned