Couldn't find a blog I wanted so I wrote one...

Options
sstuts
sstuts Posts: 16 Member
I have tried to find a blog, discussion, or anything that gave you practical, affordable, and healthy meal suggestions for my family. I am a mom of two with a full-time job and have a husband, three dogs, and a home to care for as well. I need meals that are quick, filling, tasty enough to make my three year old eat them, and most importantly healthy!! I could not find so much as a list of ingredient substitutions that would turn regular recipes into a healthier version of themselves (instead of bread, romaine lettuce; instead of pasta, _____, etc.). So, I decided I would start something of the sort.

What follows is a list of the different types of snacks I purchase and the calorie count for each serving size if someone is looking for inspiration. **Calories are based off mostly Aldi products to give you a basis; Other brands of the same items may have different serving sizes &/or calories**

Rice Crispy Treats
90 calories per bar (individually prepackaged)
Whipped Topping
25-35 calories per 2 tablespoons **Eat frozen and have this instead of ice cream**
Blueberries
79 calories per cup **Again, freeze - unsweetened**
Banana
About 100 calories for 6-7"
Mango
110 calories per cup **Mangos produce about a cup of cut flesh per fruit**
DumDum suckers
20 calories per pop
Ice pop
40 calories per pop
Cottage Cheese & fruit----80 calories per 1/2 cup (you must add the calories from the fruit)
Oatmeal
100 calories per pack
Instant pudding
varies but sugar-free vanilla is about 50 calories for 1/2 cup

There are so many options for snacks but these are all I can think of off the top of my head.

Please let me know what low calorie, easy meals you prepare! I need options!! I'm so tired of chicken or salmon and steamed veggies!!!!

Replies

• toomuchcupcakes
    Options
    Yum, I didnt think about rice crispy treats. My usual suspects are as follows:

Flavored lipton teas
    baked potatos
    homemade sorbet (I heart my icecream maker)
    various nonfat "pie" flavored yogurt
    Ranch dip made with fat free sour cream (less calories than butter for baked potato topping)
    sugar free jello
    pickles
  • sstuts
    Options
    Thanks toomuchcupcak!! Those are great ideas!
  • niftyafterfifty
    niftyafterfifty Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I like to use salsa as a topping for baked potatoes. Sometimes I make taco seasoned meat and put that on baked potatoes instead of in taco shells. Add a salad and you have a relatively low calorie dinner. There's even room for a little grated cheese and a dollop of sour cream.
  • lesliev523
    lesliev523 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I keep rice and quinoa around.... I will add canned soup or frozen veggies for a quick meal. I am gluten free, so this has been a great trick to stay on track. I love Progresso lentil soup over either the rice or quinoa.

I also am a fan of Dum Dum suckers when I need a sweet fix.

Carrots and hummus or baba gannoush (sp?)

Apples and caramel dip
  • sstuts
    Options
    These are all great!! Any supper recipes though?