Really need tips to not suck at running

Options
Yeah that's right, you can suck at a basic instinct.

I’ve been working on my muscles and of course dieting to lose a total of 21 lbs from the start. I didn’t have a whole lot to lose but like most of the people here I want to be that girl who doesn’t mind walking around in a swimsuit. Without double-taking in a mirror worried my flab may come loose from my bottoms and slap a kid in the face at the pool (I’ve had a kid, loose skin ya know?). I know no amount of circuit training is going to help me lose those last few lbs. and get down to the body fat percentage I need to start seeing those lower abs and DDR is starting to get a bit too easy for me so I think running is my only option until I can afford a gym membership or a stationary cycle. I assume that since it’s hard for me to do, it will hopefully burn more calories.

I’ve always hated running, muscles aren’t so much of a problem right now, but I run out of breath in no time. I’ve never been good at it and I need some tips for starting. If I want to work my way up to long distance running where do I start? Do I eat before/after? What do you eat before/after a run? I have high arches, can anyone recommend a good brand of shoe? How many miles do you put on shoes before replacing them? How much time/what distance would you suggest I start with and how long should I stick with that before bumping it up a notch? Sorry to sound so stupid, I know I can google some of this stuff and I have, but I’d like to get tips from people who were once out of shape that I can get advice from DURING and not just before I start. I appreciate everyone’s help so far, and I’m here for support if anyone wants to add me as well!! Thank you sooo much!

If you need any body type info, I’m 5’3 and weigh about 127-8 ish and I’ve mostly been doing 30ds and Dance Dance Revolution to get to the point I’m at now. Thanks again!
Kat

Replies

• msprouse8
    msprouse8 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Kat,

Have you ever heard of Couch to 5K??? I started doing that because I felt like running was my only option. I too am 5'3". I started at 155 and now I'm at 142. It took 6 weeks before I lost the first pound, but they have been coming off steadily now. I'm no professional at running. But the Couch to 5K will get you started. Look it up!! I am running great now. I got stuck at week 4, stayed there for 4 weeks and never gave up. I can now run almost 2 miles without having to walk. Good luck!
  • klb1182
    klb1182 Posts: 3
    Options
    For tips on choosing a good running shoe, I recommend reading through this site: http://www.therunningadvisor.com/running_shoes.html

It helped me at least determine the style of shoe that would best suit my foot (I have low/flat arches). About.com also has a great section for running, especially for beginners. Tips on how to hold your hands/arms, your stride, etc.

I really recommend the Couch 2 5K program as well - if you have a smartphone or iPod Touch you can download the free app and follow along with it. They'll give you voice prompts to start walking or running at the appropriate time, based on where you are in the program.

I hate running too...well, I used to :) I'm not great at it, but I'm getting better, and that's all that matters! "As long as you're moving, you'll always lap any one sitting on the couch!" :)
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Some tips: Eat 1-2 hours before running (you can go longer, that's fine) but eating too close to running makes a lot of people feel sick. Eating after is always a good reward. That's why I run near meal-times.
    Breathe from your belly and not your chest. It might make you look "fat" but you'll breathe so much easier. Believe me.
    Definitely check out couch to 5k. It's super helpful. I've never done it but I know lots who have and they love it.
    Make sure your running shoes aren't too small. General rule is to buy them 1/2 size bigger than your regular shoes, because when you run (especially in summer!) your feet will swell. And I usually get a new pair of shoes every 4-6 months, and I rotate between 2 pairs to keep them lasting longer.
    Hope these tips are helpful! :) Good luck getting started!
  • MamaKeeks
    MamaKeeks Posts: 234
    Options
    OMG your post title made me LAUGH!

So many questions you have! Good ones too.... Important ones!

I started running in 2000, right after my dad was diagnosed with cancer. I was fat, out of shape, and also a smoker. It sucked. It hurt. And I hated it. I thought people who did it were suckers.

I love it now. It took me a while to love it, but I do! It is my therapy, and my ME time. It feels good, and has gotten my *kitten* under control (somewhat!). I have lost over 50 lbs since I started back in the day... and it feels good to know I can chase my kids!

Once you build up your cardio/endurance, you will feel more confident.

As for shoes - you should go to a reputable shoe store and have their staff do a gait analysis on you (free) and recommend a good shoe. It is the only piece of equipment you need, so make sure you get the right ones, and make the investment!

As for eating before or after, I say it depends on how long/far you are running! Don't eat immediatedly before or you will feel like crap and burp up whatever you've eaten! As for after, I like milk. It does a body good! :tongue:

And as msprouse said, the couch to 5k plan is a great place to start (that's where I started!)... it will give you good, solid times and distances to set yourself by, and help you build gradually.

You can totally do this - and you'll feel great!

Feel free to PM me or add me as a friend if you'd like... I'm happy to help more if I can!

:flowerforyou: Kiki
  • klb1182
    klb1182 Posts: 3
    Options
    Breathe from your belly and not your chest. It might make you look "fat" but you'll breathe so much easier. Believe me.
    Hope these tips are helpful! :) Good luck getting started!

THIS.

This is what I'm working on now...that and not hitting so hard with my heel on the ground. But mostly the breathing...because, you know, breathing is important. LOL
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I suck at the breathing part too. I learned to sync my breathing with my steps. 2 steps, 2 breaths in then 2 more steps 2 breaths out. If I sprint that's all out the window though. Your rhythm could be entirely different and might take some time for you to find what works. Your lungs need to get into shape just like your muscles so just take it slow and steady so you don't fall out! I started running because I joined the Army, now Im out and my body still responds best to running. We had to learn to run long distances so they started us out in Basic Training at 3 miles to condition and moved it up and up until we were doing about 5 or 6 every day to sustain. I would say push yourself far enough to get a super good workout but don't exhaust yourself or cause yourself any injury. I never felt that feeling sore after is a bad thing! Some people suggest an apple or fruit before a run for a little energy boost from the sugar. I don't eat until after because it will make me sick to my stomach. Not sure about the shoes. I get horrible shin splints but I don't have high arches so there are probably different shoes out there for that.
  • RedWeb
    RedWeb Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about going too slowly
    Ignore people who call 6mph a slow jog..it isn't if you have never run before
    Do what you are comfortable doing and build up gradually
    Good shoes
    Work out routes on something like Runkeeper
    Get some dri-fit tops
    Belt to hold phone, ipod
    etc
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    Try couch to 5k (c25k) to get started. There are at least 7,000 iterations available via phone apps and/or google search. You will alternate running and walking and over a period of several weeks gradually decrease the walking time and increase the running time until you are running solid for 30 minutes or so.

If you're gasping for breath after a minute or 2 and you're not terribly out of shape-you're trying to go too fast. Slow down. No-slower than that. You should be able to talk (at least some). Keep slowing down until you can. No-slower than that-really.

For shoes-go to a running store and get fitted. They will take a look at your feet and how your foot/leg moves when you run. They will help you find "good" shoes for you. What's good for me might suck for you and give you injuries.

And don't run every day-not for a while. Running is pounding work for your joints and it takes time to build up to being able to take that pounding. You may "feel" fine-but your future injury is invisibly building if you don't let your body rest.

Lastly-running isn't the only exercise in the world. If you hate it-don't force yourself to do it. I love it-so I look forward to running. Some days runs just suck-some days they are great-but I enjoy it always. Don't try to force yourself to do something you loathe.
  • soontobesam
    soontobesam Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    C25K is the way to go!

I thought for sure I was going to die the first week but now I'm in the middle of Week 7 and can push through a 25 minute run.

I had all sorts of issues with getting my breathing under control at first (doesn't help that I've been smoking since I was 12) but I've improved a lot in 7 weeks.

I typically eat a package of oatmeal about an hour before my run or a piece of toast with peanut butter and some cinnamon. I try not to have coffee within an hour or so of going but it doesn;t seem to bother me too much anymore.

The best advice I can give you is to focus on endurance during this program - not speed. On my "days off' from C25K I do 4 intervals of 10 minute runs and on those days I find myself pushing myself to go faster but when I have a long run or when I was just starting out it was all about maintaning a steady slow pace and keeping my breathing under control.

"It doesn't matter how slow you go, you're still lapping the person on the couch."

I use an app on my phone called Endomondo to track my mileage, speed, estimated kcals and my route and I listen to podcasts by Robert Ullrey during my runs (he provides you with music and direction on when to walk vs run so you don't have to think - just run).
  • MB_Boston
    MB_Boston Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should get your gait analyzed- made a world of difference for me.

I don't eat before b/c it makes me feel sick.

Download music from iTunes from other ppl with running lsts to keep you going- amazing what a good song can do when you are distracted.

When you feel like you need to stop- run the distance of 1 more telephone pole (or house or car, etc). This mind trick makes me see that I can go longer than I think.

After warming up, alternate between walking & jogging until you can up the jogging time.

I map out routes using google pedometer online.

GL!!!
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I don't know a whole lot about running. I'm kind of interested in getting started so I'm looking forward to some of the responses from this thread.

A friend of mine followed this Runner's World Program. http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-520--9397-2-1X5-3,00.html. I don't think it gives you tips.

The only tip I currently have (I haven't read the other responses yet, sorry) is to breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth. I have a stationary bike and I'd get so winded just riding it, then I started to concentrate on my breathing in that way and it became so much easier!

Good luck!
  • surromom2010
    surromom2010 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Kat,

Have you ever heard of Couch to 5K??? I started doing that because I felt like running was my only option. I too am 5'3". I started at 155 and now I'm at 142. It took 6 weeks before I lost the first pound, but they have been coming off steadily now. I'm no professional at running. But the Couch to 5K will get you started. Look it up!! I am running great now. I got stuck at week 4, stayed there for 4 weeks and never gave up. I can now run almost 2 miles without having to walk. Good luck!

I have heard of it, I don't know why I haven't used it yet. Maybe I need to pick a day to start and stick with it like I did with 30DS. I think I'm just intimidated with running completely. I feel like people are staring at me thinking, why does she even bother if that's as far as she can get? lol Maybe I just need to suck it up, blare my metal and screw what anyone is saying because I can't hear it anyway haha.
  • Runs4CupCakes
    Options
    really ever person is diffrent i have never been a runner until recently.....
    you're not goin to be running miles like a champ. at the start you build yourself up i couldnt go a tenth of a mile when i 1st started.
    1st thing i did was walk just walked a mile to start. Then as my time was faster i started jogging a little here in there, as you get comfortable with running you will improve, shoes- i get shin splits too nike's are a bi no for me but everyone is diff i used the lillte machine at walmart that test your arch. and went with what they recommended i wear k-swiss to run but i have a pair of asicis that i love too...you been gett better just stick to it, the hardest part is building your lungs up....and figuring out what works for you
  • surromom2010
    Options
    I agree that you should get your gait analyzed- made a world of difference for me.

I don't eat before b/c it makes me feel sick.

Download music from iTunes from other ppl with running lsts to keep you going- amazing what a good song can do when you are distracted.

When you feel like you need to stop- run the distance of 1 more telephone pole (or house or car, etc). This mind trick makes me see that I can go longer than I think.

After warming up, alternate between walking & jogging until you can up the jogging time.

I map out routes using google pedometer online.

GL!!!

I like the Idea of using landmarks instead of streets/time to push me further, it seems more doable, thank you so much!
  • soontobesam
    soontobesam Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Kat,

I have heard of it, I don't know why I haven't used it yet. Maybe I need to pick a day to start and stick with it like I did with 30DS. I think I'm just intimidated with running completely. I feel like people are staring at me thinking, why does she even bother if that's as far as she can get? lol Maybe I just need to suck it up, blare my metal and screw what anyone is saying because I can't hear it anyway haha.

I hear ya. I was so self conscious when i first started and would keep my head down and wouldn't look at anyone. The only thing you can do is suck it up. Keep your music on and your head down until you catch your groove and I PROMISE you that within a few weeks you will be so damn proud of how far you have come that it won't matter so much what anyone else is thinking.

Search the message board for the Hey Fat Girl post if you haven't already read it. That could have been written to me. I cried and reblogged on here and FB and printed it out and put it up next to my bathroom mirror so I always have it.
  • aqua_zumba_fan
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and 131 lbs and am on week 6 of Couch to 5k - I've managed 20mins but can't seem to get to 25. I also have big issues with breathing - so hard to get right.
    You should read 'Born to Run' - one of the things talked about is how high end running shoes lead to more injuries cos they don't let your feet do what they're made to do. Barefoot is best as feet meant to have arches as this makes them strong. The advice given was to buy cheap shoes without all the bells and whistles as injuries have massively increased since Nike came on the scene. Interesting!
    I'm going back to 20mins on Fri, 22 on Sun and trying 25 again next week - fingers crossed. Couch to 5k is definitely the way to go - I used to barely be able to run 1 min!
  • surromom2010
    Options
    For tips on choosing a good running shoe, I recommend reading through this site: http://www.therunningadvisor.com/running_shoes.html

It helped me at least determine the style of shoe that would best suit my foot (I have low/flat arches). About.com also has a great section for running, especially for beginners. Tips on how to hold your hands/arms, your stride, etc.

I really recommend the Couch 2 5K program as well - if you have a smartphone or iPod Touch you can download the free app and follow along with it. They'll give you voice prompts to start walking or running at the appropriate time, based on where you are in the program.

I hate running too...well, I used to :) I'm not great at it, but I'm getting better, and that's all that matters! "As long as you're moving, you'll always lap any one sitting on the couch!" :)

Thanks, I'll definitely check the site out when I have some time to poke around and really focus on it. I've had a halfway decent running show once when I was in the army, but even that didn't fit me like a glove, my feet would always cramp up like half a mile in and I've not run much since I left the military so I'm sure it's worse now..I hope it gives tips on how to control your breathing because I swear my lungs turn to stone once I start.
  • kmg3475
    kmg3475 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Great ideas so far! When you are running think of all the people who are literally sitting on the couch. I am a pretty good runner but I NEVER look at anyone and think they are going too slow. I know how hard it is! I have not done the Couch to 5K but I imagine it is great. You can also run/walk until you get more comfortable. Run for one minute, walk for one or two, etc. (Maybe that is in the program.) Good luck! Think of how many calories you can burn in a short amount of time!
  • BEMND
    BEMND Posts: 33
    Options
    Is there a Fleet Feet near you? The one near me offers a 10 wk No Boundaries begin to run program. Learning to run w/ a group of people at the same level as myself really helps keep me motivated. There are trainers & local athletes & Drs that come w/ tips & exercise ideas. I have a little over 3 wks before we run our 5k.
  • havesomejoe
    havesomejoe Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k is a good place to start.

For shoes, I recommend to everyone that they look into the minimalist styles, in particular Vibram Fivefingers.

I was never a runner but learning to run in these has made me fall in love with running to the point where I run at least 4 days out of the week.

Their primary benefit is that your natural running gait is allowed to come through and results in a much more elegant form of running that eliminates stress on your knees and hips (whereas typical running shoes with fat heels force you to slam down on your heels while running, sending all the force into your knees and hips.)

Reference http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barefoot_running