How do you deal with a buffet on a diet?

Options

Replies

• MsStorm
    MsStorm Posts: 4
    Options
    I go with the old Weight Watchers premise (even though I don't follow the program anymore). Eat a bit less each day for the week before and "save up" some calories for the buffet (even 50 calories/day less gives you an extra 350 to eat at the buffet). Second, DEFINITELY don't starve yourself the day of the dinner. Eat lots of fruits and veggies and have a piece of lean meat for a late lunch. I usually eat a half cup of fat free Greek style plain yogurt with some berries or some honey in it just before I head out to dinner. That way you won't be starving when you get there.

Once there, fill your plate with salads and veggies (careful with the heavy salads like potato or pasta - just a spoonful of each of those - don't deny yourself) and eat protein. Buffets usually have nice chicken and fish - just try and take less sauce if they're covered in it.

Lastly, eat 50 calories/day less the week after. Again you'll have saved another 350 calories if you feel you indulged a bit at the buffet. AND don't beat yourself up. You have to have a treat once in awhile to stay on track.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i go in with a plan to eat the most expensive stuff which is usually salmon, shrimp and steak :laugh:

i'll add in some veggies and fruit as well but i stay away from the carbie type stuff not because i dislike carbs, but because half the times they put some weird sauce or dressing on it that i hate.. besides that, the cheap carbs take up space that i could be using for all the expensive stuff
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    I go to a buffet when I hit a plateau...I lose weight every time.

The key is to eat in moderation what you like and want without walking away with 15 plates of pie. I always eat my meat first, then I get some veggies and maybe a few bites of some of the yummy casseroles. I always use a small plate and do not fill it totally full. That way I can eat a little, sit and let it settle, then go get some more...repeat. I rarely ever eat too much, and I don't gain afterwards.
  • Angie_1MR
    Angie_1MR Posts: 247
    Options
    if it's a choice, avoid the buffet, why would you go somewhere you already know you're going to be tempted? if it can't be avoided (a wedding, etc.) go with the small plate idea.
  • ls_66
    ls_66 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I would say if the buffet is one trip every 3-4 months than don't worry about it eat slowly and eat whatever feels right... try to exercise to sort of offset the additional carbs
  • SilkyHotspur
    SilkyHotspur Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Stick with salads and rice and stay away from high carbs! Keep track of your calories with the MFP iPhone app. Don't let the buffet trick you into thinking you're still hungry! Eat slowly so your stomach has time to realize it's full when it actually is.
    Why?

To the OP. Create a calorie deficit earlier in the day. Have a hard workout or intense cardio sessions (sprints). Stick to lean protein and veggies prior to the buffet.

At the buffet, eat whatever you want in moderation.

Basically agree...you know you want to eat, you know the pressure will be on, just pay for it the day before, the morning of, even some the day after...calories have no time clock, create as big a deficit as you want, the relax at the event, stay within yourself and eat responsibly without too much pressure.
  • elexichoccyeater
    elexichoccyeater Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    you have one life... and this is an eating path for your whole life.. so eat what you want!!!! exercise before and after... but most of all enjoy the day.. it is only one day and to put on a lb you would have to eat 1900+3500 that is 5400... That would take some doing!!!!!

JUST ENJOY x
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Regular restaurants have huge portions too, basically anywhere you eat out there are going to be issues staying on track. All the advice is great, I personally go up and get the healthy stuff like salad and fruit to fill me up, and then if I MUST, I take a tiny portion of the bad stuff just so I can still taste it and enjoy myself.
  • EJED724
    EJED724 Posts: 13
    Options
    No one has mentioned this yet, but I always limit myself to just one plate. I try to fill 1/2 of it with veggies, but just get a little of everything I want.

I have used the eat nothing before you go strategy, but be careful with that because sometimes it makes me so starved that by the time i hit the buffet i say "screw it" and just pig out because I'm so hungry! Try to eat lots of lean protien and veggies during the day and drink lots of water so you're not starved.

{I know it looks like I've lost nothing on my ticker, but that's my MFP goal - I've actually lost 70 lbs before this.}
  • primalchaos
    primalchaos Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    It is coming towards the end of my school year and me and a few of my friends were thinking of going to this buffet place. How do you deal with eating when a buffet style is on the menu? Weddings, resturants, picnics and other events?

Depending on the style of restaurant, you can put together a very healthy meal. Just make sure to stay away from the calorie dense foods and get a good variety of the low cal (within your limit) foods. I used to fear the buffet in Vegas, but now, it's the one of the favorites since we can shape our meal without breaking the bank or ala carte at a restaurant.
  • Jay_Jay_
    Jay_Jay_ Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    It's easy as long as its a quality buffet. My local chinese buffet has a great salad bar and sashimi options, as well as a lot of meat without sauces. I can usually get out of there very easilly being full after a salad and one plate, but i'm also a ketogenic so I don't touch any carbs, breadings, or sugars. I fill up fast. :)
  • stratusofkiser
    stratusofkiser Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I stay with veggies fruit and protein.
  • ExcusesStopHere
    Options
    ATTACK IT!

yes
  • kristelpoole
    kristelpoole Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    We had a potluck buffet today. I had 2 types of salad (85% of my plate), a tiny piece of cornbread, 2 cubes of cheese, some vegan spinach and artichoke dip and 4 chips. For dessert, I skipped all the brownies and just had a tiny piece and pound cake and a lot of berries. It was delicious, I was satisfied and I didn't need all the mac n cheese, pasta salad, etc.

Basically, if you fill up most of your plate with healthy, quality foods, you can have some space left for the "bad buffet foods" you crave, but in just enough of a portion to satisfy your craving. :)
  • Sarasari
    Sarasari Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    If it is a restaurant that you can look up do as much planning before you go.For example Sweet Tomatoes has their calories listed. When I went there I got a big salad,soup and a small helping of pasta,ok and a cookie. The key for me is to go get each item one at a time. If possible do not let the waiters clear your plates,so you can see them and remember what you have eaten. Drink a lot of water so you will stay full and it will help with extra sodium.Good luck!
  • Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    Options
    This is how I fealt with my trip last friday

I went. I ate whatever I wanted. I did NOT tried to keep my butt away and healthy. I eat decently good throughout the week and I allow myself a spike day.

I got home, worked out those extra calories. Called it a day. I was over my calories a bit but I was still way below maintanance and I get to enjoy the yummy Indian buffet

I absolutely love indian food... I wish I knew a good place here in the DC - Baltimore area.
  • SilkyHotspur
    SilkyHotspur Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    This is how I fealt with my trip last friday

I went. I ate whatever I wanted. I did NOT tried to keep my butt away and healthy. I eat decently good throughout the week and I allow myself a spike day.

I got home, worked out those extra calories. Called it a day. I was over my calories a bit but I was still way below maintanance and I get to enjoy the yummy Indian buffet

I absolutely love indian food... I wish I knew a good place here in the DC - Baltimore area.

India Palace,1 9743 Frederick road , Germantown MD. Really good Indian Buffet....and i'm not a big Indian food fan, but this place is on our lunch rotation.
  • laceylou0702
    laceylou0702 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I use a cake plate (tiny paper plate if available)...and take a tiny bit of everything I love.

I can't say no, but I can say LESS PLEASE. :)

This or avoid it all together and ask them to go elsewhere...
  • BigenFluffy
    BigenFluffy Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    It helps to "know" foods and the calorie counts. For example, you KNOW that green beans boiled with a little bit of meat are going to be better for you than cole slaw. You KNOW that grilled chicken is a better choice than bbq ribs.

It helps me to look up foods before I go to get an idea. For example, we went Chinese a few weeks ago and I looked up what would be healthy items from the buffet.
  • mellabyte
    mellabyte Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I have to deal with this all the time. Both work _and_ my family love to take people to buffets for special events, and it's usually Indian or Asian food buffets...

Some buffets, have smaller dessert or salad plates - if they have those, then I use those plates instead of the entree one.

It doesn't happen that often, and since I've changed my lifestyle - I get full a lot quicker and am tons better at portion control, so I don't stress about it too much. I just have small bits of whatever I feel like trying. But a few of my now second nature habits: I make sure my plate never appears piled with food, everything is laying as one layer. -laughs- I also don't get any (what I call) extra stand-alone carbs, so no rice, noodles, potatoes, bread, etc. I make sure I have at least 1/3-1/2 the plate comprised of veggies (of varying colors if possible). Never more than one regular plate and a second lighter half plate (if I'm still hungry).

After all that, I keep active and have lighter meals and very light or no snacks for the rest of the day.

Personal recent experience. I know I said I don't go that often, but May was particularly bad because of mother's day, plus a million birthdays... So I must've ended up at a buffet 3 or 4 times that month (and 1 potlock/picnic this month). But I still managed to lose almost 4lbs between then and now. So, if you don't go nutso - you can survive them. :)