im new and really confused

Options
2»

Replies

• mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for all your help and advice. I ate the 1800 calories that mfp recommended and lost 7 lbs in the first two weeks but aafter my third week, I had not lost anything. I guess I just have to figure out how to adjust to start losing again?

7 lbs. in 2 weeks is a lot. Don't be surprised if you lose in 'fits and starts'. Keep doing what you're doing, at least another week. It never comes off perfectly linearly. You'll have terrific weeks and 'flat' weeks. But if you refuse to wait another week to see, go ahead and drop your intake some, if you can do so without awakening the deprivation monster.

Not all of us women get to eat 1800 calories a day. I eat more like 1200-1400.
  • lmalaschak
    lmalaschak Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for all your help and advice. I ate the 1800 calories that mfp recommended and lost 7 lbs in the first two weeks but aafter my third week, I had not lost anything. I guess I just have to figure out how to adjust to start losing again?

7 lbs. in 2 weeks is a lot. Don't be surprised if you lose in 'fits and starts'. Keep doing what you're doing, at least another week. It never comes off perfectly linearly. You'll have terrific weeks and 'flat' weeks. But if you refuse to wait another week to see, go ahead and drop your intake some, if you can do so without awakening the deprivation monster.

Not all of us women get to eat 1800 calories a day. I eat more like 1200-1400.

Yup, my calorie goal daily is 1440, and that's higher than it was at first. And this lady is also correct about the weight loss rate. It comes off really fast at first and then slows waaaaay down, and there will be weeks where you do everything right and nothing is happening and you want to go and have a whole pizza and an entire pan of brownies. But if you keep doing the same thing usually the weight loss will start back up again. :)
  • lmalaschak
    lmalaschak Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I went back and read this thread again. You're a guy, right? And you mentioned that you have seen women with a similar calorie goal to yours? Just to give you some perspective my husband is also on mfp and he started out with about an 1800 calorie goal and did very well. But I will say if you are getting a lot of exercise you will want to eat some of the exercise calories as well. You are right that 1800 isn't that much for a guy. If you try this a few more weeks and always feel like you're starving, go back to your profile and adjust it so that you are set to lose a pound a week instead of more, and it will adjust your calories to something that is easier to handle. My husband is now set to lose one a week, I think, and I think his calorie goal is like 2100 or something.