How to stop eating at night?

Options
Hi Just looking for tips on how to stop eating junk at night. I can eat good all day then night comes and destroys all my good work Some people say dont buy it but i will leave the house to get it! Crazy I know!!!

Replies

• Zarebeth
    Zarebeth Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I know there are people who will yell at me for this, but I eat my dinner late specifically so I am not hungry before I go to bed, and it is my biggest meal of the day - roughly half my calories. I don't eat until 7 at the earliest, and last night I didn't eat until 8:30. It helps me with my control in the evenings if I am not hungry.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    happened to just reply another similar thread. :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/623050-losing-control-at-night
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I know there are people who will yell at me for this, but I eat my dinner late specifically so I am not hungry before I go to bed, and it is my biggest meal of the day - roughly half my calories. I don't eat until 7 at the earliest, and last night I didn't eat until 8:30. It helps me with my control in the evenings if I am not hungry.

I am with you. But now I try not to eat too late, say after 9:00
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    Some things that help me-

1- Practice. Get out of the habit of having junk food at night and you'll forget about it.

2- Make sure you're not eating because you're starving and feeling deprived because your daytime diet is so restrictive and dull

3- Substitute. Have healthy nighttime treats like a baked apple or some hot tea or an iced coffee.

4- Think about why you want treats at night. Do you feel like food is your only enjoyment or reward? Sometimes just looking at the issue dead-on helps end it.
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I have a bedtime snack right before I go to bed. Literally. I eat it in bed, at like 11:30pm. There's nothing wrong with eating that late, your body burns calories 24/7.

If you are hungry, eat. I try and have something high in protein so that I stay full longer.
  • rosalieharris
    rosalieharris Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! I think eating later is actually smart. If you are within your calories, then what does it matter when you eat? I am not a nutritionalist or anything, but it sounds good to me...I am actually going to try this:) I do usually save a snack for late night. I say whatever works for you!
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Alisha_countrymama Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I eat a full protein meal at dinner. keeps me full till bed. If I do get the urge I eat a cheese stick and drink some water.
  • Atziii
    Atziii Posts: 1
    Options
    You can always try eating something that's a bit healthier. My nutritionist recommended I try a bowl of cereal with skim milk, keeping it in moderation of course, and I know there's some cereals out there (like Special K) that have enough sweetness or chocolate to satisfy junk food cravings.
  • brittigno
    brittigno Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Try to get healthier versions? Like instead of chips get snappeas? Or instead of ice cream do the frozen banana & cocoa powder thing?
  • tmd0521
    tmd0521 Posts: 6
    Options
    I think Zarebeth is on to something, Im gonna move dinner from 6 to 7pm, hopefully that helps. Or if you MUST have a night snack try to eat it earlier/less of it.
  • tobykang
    tobykang Posts: 24
    Options
    I am exactly with you on this one! Still kinda figuring this out myself....I try to stop eating by 8PM every night. If I still get hungry at best I have a little tofu, a tbsp of peanut butter, drink soy milk or just have tea.

Often times, peppermint gum/tea seems to kill the urge to want to eat more
  • darls25
    darls25 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I save enough calories and eat healthy low calorie stuff after dinner. Some nights need some thing and some I don't. Have some cut up veggies and fruit and just work them in to your calories. Like someone said I think eating at night isn't a big deal as long as you don't a super duper huge meal :)
  • celticmuse
    celticmuse Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I allow myself a dessert every night, not to exceed 150 calories after dinner. That way I don't overdo it, but I save the calories so that I can have it and stay within my daily calorie goal. I don't feel deprived and it helps with the cravings. Sometimes it is popcorn. Other times it may be sweets. I like the Quatratini dark chocolate wafers. 8 of them are only 150 calories.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    The time you eat doesn't matter. If it's simply a matter of switching calories from earlier in the day to later in the day, that's probably the easiest solution. If it's a matter of eating junk food, then, well, you just need to work on some discipline.
  • kittyfrost
    kittyfrost Posts: 54
    Options
    This will sound strange but I struggle with this, and I found that wrapping myself in a blanket works. That way I'm too comfortable/lazy to get up, haha.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I allow myself a dessert every night, not to exceed 150 calories after dinner. That way I don't overdo it, but I save the calories so that I can have it and stay within my daily calorie goal. I don't feel deprived and it helps with the cravings. Sometimes it is popcorn. Other times it may be sweets. I like the Quatratini dark chocolate wafers. 8 of them are only 150 calories.

I do the same thing. I also love the 100 calorie packs.
  • Learn2BFit
    Learn2BFit Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have the Exact same problem! For me, it's just emotional eating, pure and simple...I"m so good all day, I get my exercise in, but then, during my down time, I just find myself wanting to relax, watch a little tv after the kids go to bed, and WAY too often, end up munching when I know I shouldn't. Lately, though, I've started leaving a certain amount calories for the couple of nights of the week that I know I'm most prone to snacking, and I've found a couple of fairly low-calorie treats to let myself feel like I'm getting a treat, it seems to be helping!
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I'm an "after work, but before dinner" snacker. My latest tricks are:

Eat more filling foods during the day
    Start making dinner sooner - if we eat closer to 5:30pm-6 I'm less likely to graze while making dinner
    Eat a good dinner, and have milk to drink. Milk seems to help me feel fuller and avoids the late night grazing
    After dinner, keep my hands busy. Sitting on the couch watching TV is brutal for my snack cravings
    If I do need/want a snack I try to stick to popcorn or decaf coffee with some SF flavored syrup to help me feel full and cut the sweet craving.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    The time you eat doesn't matter. If it's simply a matter of switching calories from earlier in the day to later in the day, that's probably the easiest solution. If it's a matter of eating junk food, then, well, you just need to work on some discipline.

all of this.
  • vbonina
    vbonina Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. I found that if I plan out my snacking it works out well. Leave a few calories for the unexpected.