BMI for African Americans/Blacks/Browns

Options
By American Standards I am 2.3% overweight, I should be weighing around 155, which means I need 2 lose about 20 lbs...I weighed 174.2, BMI was 27.3, BP was 110/74, Total Cholesterol was 117, HDL 58, nonHDL 59, Glucose 73, my fat was 41.2%, I am suppose to be in a range of 21-33%, Fat Mass was 71.81, suppose 2 be 27.2-50.41 range & they said I shud eat 1565 to maintain my weight...EXCUSE ME, BUT WHERE IS THE AFRICAN AMERICAN/BLACK & BROWN FOLKS BODY MASS INDEX LOCATED??? Cuz the folks in the south say Im a HEALTHY weight & I think I nd 2 create anotha type of BMI!!!!!!!! I am heavy in the hips & thighs & I think I look good just like I am, these standards are so not realistic!!!! BMI 4 Blacks is a need, we are circumferenced different!!!!!

Replies

• mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure race doesn't have anything to do with it. BMI is just an indicator of health.

Personally, I don't like BMI, I prefer body fat percentage. Regardless of race, having an elevated level of body fat will cause health issues in the long run.
  • aamon17
    aamon17 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    BMI absolutely has to do with race, for the mere fact that is averages race out. The index accounts for an "average" American, throwing out highs, lows, and racial/genetic tendencies. It is well documented that Black/Latino women thicker in the thighs, hips, butt, and waist. And they can weigh more than a White woman of similar heath characteristics and STILL be considered healthy.

it's te equivillent of YOU, a bottom thick black woman, stepping on a scale wearing ankle & wrist weights and a bottom thin white woman stepping on the same scale naked. You're weigh-in is skewed from the jump.

I say throw out BMI, and keep your vitals level with all that thickness!!!! :wink:
  • serious_times
    serious_times Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Agreeing with all that BMI isn't the best indicator of whether you're healthy and fit or not. There are studies that show that different races have different BMIs but have the same body fat percentage, which is a better indicator.

http://www.halls.md/bmi/race.htm

So from this study, it does seem like Black people have a higher healthy BMI than white people, which I believe what most BMI standards are based on.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    Agreeing with all that BMI isn't the best indicator of whether you're healthy and fit or not. There are studies that show that different races have different BMIs but have the same body fat percentage, which is a better indicator.

So from this study, it does seem like Black people have a higher healthy BMI than white people, which I believe what most BMI standards are based on.

I like when people back up their opinions with facts. Well written.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure race doesn't have anything to do with it. BMI is just an indicator of health.

Personally, I don't like BMI, I prefer body fat percentage. Regardless of race, having an elevated level of body fat will cause health issues in the long run.

I also agree.
  • ShannanRenae
    ShannanRenae Posts: 130
    Options

Thanks!
  • dhoody
    dhoody Posts: 49
    Options
    lol you right its different in the south especially with black women...you do like pretty good I agree
  • Natashia524
    Natashia524 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I agree that BMI calculations suck, it doesn't account for a lot of things, but honestly, I feel like a lot of women of color like to use our uniquely shaped/proportioned bodies as excuses to remain overweight and unhealthy. *Don't pull out your guns and pitch forks nah!* Yes, Black women are more curvy and volumptuous than other women but that line between healthy-curvy and unhealthy-curvy is very thin! I think that we need to find a way to maintain our culturally defined curves without sacrificing/neglecting our health. And yes, there are a lot of Black men who like thicker women but sadly, those are the same women who are suffering with hypertension, high cholesterol, sleep apnea, diabetes, heart problems, and a shortened lifespan. We need to stop being complacent with these socially acceptable standards for our health and well-being when they bear harmful and costly consequences.

~Tasha~
  • THayesTeamNoXQS
    THayesTeamNoXQS Posts: 81 Member
    Options

nice!!! great info!! Yeah it is said that im obese...I say im not Obese, Im O-Beast!! Team No X-Q-S http://skreened.com/teamnoxqs
  • ShannanRenae
    Options

nice!!! great info!! Yeah it is said that im obese...I say im not Obese, Im O-Beast!! Team No X-Q-S http://skreened.com/teamnoxqs

A MESS...LOL!!! Thanks 4 the laff tho Im O-BEAST!!!!!!!!!!!
  • ShannanRenae
    Options
    I agree that BMI calculations suck, it doesn't account for a lot of things, but honestly, I feel like a lot of women of color like to use our uniquely shaped/proportioned bodies as excuses to remain overweight and unhealthy. *Don't pull out your guns and pitch forks nah!* Yes, Black women are more curvy and volumptuous than other women but that line between healthy-curvy and unhealthy-curvy is very thin! I think that we need to find a way to maintain our culturally defined curves without sacrificing/neglecting our health. And yes, there are a lot of Black men who like thicker women but sadly, those are the same women who are suffering with hypertension, high cholesterol, sleep apnea, diabetes, heart problems, and a shortened lifespan. We need to stop being complacent with these socially acceptable standards for our health and well-being when they bear harmful and costly consequences.

~Tasha~

I think that we need to find a way to maintain our culturally defined curves without sacrificing/neglecting our health.<<<<< Oh certainly, I am by no means saying stay overweight, but I am portioned well, Im a size 10 & luv the curve in my hip & the tear-drop booty! LOL Thanks Tasha!
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    By American Standards I am 2.3% overweight, I should be weighing around 155, which means I need 2 lose about 20 lbs...I weighed 174.2, BMI was 27.3, BP was 110/74, Total Cholesterol was 117, HDL 58, nonHDL 59, Glucose 73, my fat was 41.2%, I am suppose to be in a range of 21-33%, Fat Mass was 71.81, suppose 2 be 27.2-50.41 range & they said I shud eat 1565 to maintain my weight...EXCUSE ME, BUT WHERE IS THE AFRICAN AMERICAN/BLACK & BROWN FOLKS BODY MASS INDEX LOCATED??? Cuz the folks in the south say Im a HEALTHY weight & I think I nd 2 create anotha type of BMI!!!!!!!! I am heavy in the hips & thighs & I think I look good just like I am, these standards are so not realistic!!!! BMI 4 Blacks is a need, we are circumferenced different!!!!!

I don't think you should focus on race...

you should focus on build

there are three types if I am not mistaken

Small, Medium, Large Frame

What frame are you...

There are people from all races with all types of frames

I like to edit to add.

As a black man...I am jealous of white men Calves..

Damnit!
  • shanae727
    shanae727 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    uh oh! (this thread may get out of hand)
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    BMI is a crock of $hitscum. You want to go off of Body Fat Percentage.

I suggest using the US Navy measuring.
    http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/diet.html

Ensure that you measure correctly,
  • AbiNichole
    AbiNichole Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options

I like when people back up their opinions with facts. Well written.

Holy crap!!! I had no idea that it was based on white folk!... doh! I'm glad I read this thread. Thanks for putting it out there.... but It's pretty useless tool anyways, right? It doesn't account for things like muscle mass, bone density, etc. I think according to BMI, buff meaty men might fall into the "obese" category just because their weight is so high (even though it's all muscle!).
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    BMI doesn't matter, but body fat does, and at 41%, that's way too high, no matter what your racial background.

BMI is only intended for large population studies, not individual people.
  • Shanel0916
    Shanel0916 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • led6777
    led6777 Posts: 268
    Options

O-Beast hahah :)
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    BMI is a crock of $hitscum. You want to go off of Body Fat Percentage.

I suggest using the US Navy measuring.
    http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/diet.html

Ensure that you measure correctly,

^this=yes.

Black people in the South don't need their own standard of measurement. Just...no.

What is culturally acceptable/attractive has naught to do with fitness.