Any suggestions on what to do around that time of the month?

Options

Replies

• Kebby83
    Kebby83 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    This might sound crazy, but Prozaac just during PMS (usually take for 2 weeks) has helped my mood swings and my cravings for these bad foods! I had talked to my Obgyn about it and this is what she recommended, and it reallly works for me anyway :)

Really? Prozac takes about a month to work and causes suicidal feelings for the first few weeks from what I heard - what gives? :) I don't take Prozac but my husband takes an anti depressant and has crazy pains if he stops taking it all of a sudden. I know your OBGYN recommended and I'm glad it works for you but I worry about side effects from a two week on two week off schedule of taking a drug?
  • RilantheFirebug
    RilantheFirebug Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Get a bag of the individually wrapped Dove dark chocolate squares. Not awful for you and you can just grab one or two to satisfy your chocolate craving.
  • sasarafo
    sasarafo Posts: 18
    Options
    Water, water and more water.

I gained 8 lbs of bloat on Sunday. By today I was back down to normal and actually lost another 1.6lbs!

So I am sticking with the crazy amounts of water lol.

Oh and a little chocolate or other treat is no biggie. I just track it and move on :)
  • cleavagefurrow
    cleavagefurrow Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I usually end up eating more or eating high calorie foods around that time. I just can't control myself when it's that time of the month (which is now actually...). So I log it and will try to resist again the next day.
  • littlemiss5foot1
    littlemiss5foot1 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    This might sound crazy, but Prozaac just during PMS (usually take for 2 weeks) has helped my mood swings and my cravings for these bad foods! I had talked to my Obgyn about it and this is what she recommended, and it reallly works for me anyway :)

Really? Prozac takes about a month to work and causes suicidal feelings for the first few weeks from what I heard - what gives? :) I don't take Prozac but my husband takes an anti depressant and has crazy pains if he stops taking it all of a sudden. I know your OBGYN recommended and I'm glad it works for you but I worry about side effects from a two week on two week off schedule of taking a drug?

Honestly stay away from Prozacc, It is designed as an anti depressant which targets the part of the receptors in the brain injecting it with serotine ... which to explain it without being technical.. its pretty much putting a blind fold on u. Plaing with these sort of drugs is dangerious, expecially when u dont actually need them, These are designed to balace out the part of the brain which is causing depression, OCD, And some personality disorders not for people who want to stop sugar cravings,, and even if it is working to stop cravings,,, its not good. u r playing with a pill thats messing with ur perfectly normal brain. dosing ur brain with chemicals not needed only can be discribed as Its like over charging your phone... plugging in your phone when its fully charged overloads it and eventually it stops working.... You fee on top of the world coz thats what this drug is designed todo....

I think taking this for weight management isnt right.. Might as well whip out a crack pipe and smoke that, Leave prozac for the people like this ladys partner for people who need it..
    Doctors will anc can presicirbe what they feel, Ive had 3 doctors tell me to go on Duromine 30mg, Im 5'1 and weigh 58. UNless i want holes in my artiries and increased risk of stroke and u want ur brain to conk out i suggest another alternative,, and perhaps another Doctor.
  • lindaschultz45
    lindaschultz45 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Craving chocolate during your period can be explained by the fact that chocolate contains a large amount of iron (more than in beef liver). Your body needs extra iron during this time, thus the craving. Supposedly the best way to curb this intensive craving is to allow youself a piece or two of high quality dark chocolate or eat foods rich in iron.
  • Sabrina918
    Sabrina918 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I agree! I must hide the scale! So annoying!
  • Kebby83
    Kebby83 Posts: 232 Member
    Options

Honestly stay away from Prozacc, It is designed as an anti depressant which targets the part of the receptors in the brain injecting it with serotine ... which to explain it without being technical.. its pretty much putting a blind fold on u. Plaing with these sort of drugs is dangerious, expecially when u dont actually need them, These are designed to balace out the part of the brain which is causing depression, OCD, And some personality disorders not for people who want to stop sugar cravings,, and even if it is working to stop cravings,,, its not good. u r playing with a pill thats messing with ur perfectly normal brain. dosing ur brain with chemicals not needed only can be discribed as Its like over charging your phone... plugging in your phone when its fully charged overloads it and eventually it stops working.... You fee on top of the world coz thats what this drug is designed todo....

I think taking this for weight management isnt right.. Might as well whip out a crack pipe and smoke that, Leave prozac for the people like this ladys partner for people who need it..
    Doctors will anc can presicirbe what they feel, Ive had 3 doctors tell me to go on Duromine 30mg, Im 5'1 and weigh 58. UNless i want holes in my artiries and increased risk of stroke and u want ur brain to conk out i suggest another alternative,, and perhaps another Doctor.

They all scare me anyone. I think prozac was the one that caused my stomach pains to be so bad (the dr described them as "uncomfortable") that I was bent over in agony. I used to take anti depressants for panic attacks but I stopped because my health insurance stopped. I've never heard of it used as a weight management: I have heard people GAIN weight on them? Totally OT but it interests me - my ex-husband is bipolar with bad OCD and my husband now with his issues (he has depression), and me with mental health issues it becomes fascinating to see aids that help.
  • chelsie_1984
    chelsie_1984 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I don't deprive myself whether it's that time of the month or not. I have tried so many diets and could never stick to it. So I treat myself to a yummy snack if I really have that urge. My big thing has been portion control and so far so good. I just make sure I don't skip out on a part of my meal just to indulge and I make sure I have the calories to spare. Right now my favorite sweets are anything by Skinny Cow (ice cream or candy), Werther's Original Caramel Apple Hard Candy (40 calories for 5 pieces), Whitman's Weight Watchers - Caramel Medallion Candy (160 calorie for 3 pieces, I allow myself 1). Good luck. Normally a bag of candy wouldn't have lasted me three days. I have just bought my second bag of candies since April :-) And have had the same box of 6 icecreams for over 2 months :-) Helps the pocket and the belly! LOL
  • cbevan1229
    cbevan1229 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    For me, I find if I eat a really rich piece of dark chocolate (Dove Promise,) I'll eat it slowly, and be satisfied. I know if I chose to eat something like M&Ms, I'd eat a whole bag before I knew what happened.
  • vicki81868
    vicki81868 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I can handle the craving, what I can not handle is the weight gain during this time. How long before your period do you ladies can some pounds? I am about a week away and gained a few and don't know if it is bc my period is coming or I am just gaining. HELP!

I don't weigh right before my period, during my period, or until about 3 days after..I wait till all the dust settles. LOL

Same here!
  • inraptorswetrust
    inraptorswetrust Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I've never craved chocolate, but the best thing you can do for a craving is to just NOT BUY IT. It's not there so you can't eat it (and let's face it you shouldn't really have it lying around if you're trying to live a healthy lifestyle). If you go and buy it, that's your own darn fault.
  • fitnessfashionista17
    fitnessfashionista17 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Mix unsweetened cocoa powder into oatmeal or have the super thin squares of chocolate from lindt, you can even have a couple of them at a time.
  • JackieLivingHealthy
    JackieLivingHealthy Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem....what about a cup of fat-free chocolate pudding sprinkled with graham cracker crumbs? A smoothie from Jamba Juice or somewhere similar might also do the trick.
  • saintspoon
    saintspoon Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    OMEGA 3 FISH OIL PILLS!!! <- help with all sorts of inflamation including the kinds that make you *****y, hungry & crampy!

If I take these regularly & daily leading up to TOM it is a really good one... still bleed of course but no cramps, no cravings & very little grumpyness.

This month I slacked on my fish oils & am REALLy paying the price... was super annoyed at everything for 2 WHOLE days & super-crampy + want to eat & eat & eat!:( Such a MEGA difference from the months where I don't slack.

Give it a try! :flowerforyou:
  • DPulidoo
    DPulidoo Posts: 23
    Options
    You can eat 1 small bar of chocolate every day only at that time of the month but it has to fit in you calorie deficit,chocolate is good for you in small portions,and if its dark chocolate its better,i havent got this trouble cause at that time of the month i eat less cause i cant stomach to much food ^^
  • 1DayMarathonRnner
    1DayMarathonRnner Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I don't have cravings during my TOM, in fact I hate eating during this week. It is this week for me and I am really struggling even getting above 1200. It isnt the cramps or anything, I just dont have an appetite.

Is there anyone else like this?
  • olivia_sweeetie
    Options
    Honestly, I work out like crazy and drink plenty of water. Sounds crazy, but it eases the cramps and keeps you from ruining your diet. Plus drinking water can supress your cravings too! :)
  • Sinisi2012
    Sinisi2012 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Honestly, just eat a portion, log it and move on.

No sense in depriving yourself of something.. and as long as it fits in your calorie goal, then you will be fine.

This ^^
  • pams132
    pams132 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Honestly, just eat a portion, log it and move on.

No sense in depriving yourself of something.. and as long as it fits in your calorie goal, then you will be fine.