For MFPers fasting in ramadan 2012

Options
Hi all,

This will be my first ramadan since having my baby and also the first one where I will be trying to keep up a healthy eating/exercise regime so I'm looking for ideas on how to do this as in the UK the fasting times are probably doing to be from 3am to 9pm!

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Replies

• loves_jc
    loves_jc Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I fast weekly for a different reason, I use protine podwers and juice on that day. I am not sure if you have regulations or something but I fast only liquids. I hope that helps you.
  • mlewon
    mlewon Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry I can't offer any advice, but good luck!!
  • stephaneb74
    stephaneb74 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    you've got one more month but Happy Ramadan in advance to you and your family ;)
  • EngineerPrincess
    EngineerPrincess Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I'll be fasting too! I am suuuuper busy this summer though taking university classes and working in a lab, first time I've been this busy during Ramadan before I hope it's not too much. :3 I don't think I'll be able to exercise but I definitely won't be pigging out during Iftar like I did when I was a teenager (and when I say "when I was a teenager" I mean a few weeks ago). :D
  • timadotcom
    timadotcom Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I can't wait for Ramadan, it will be tough!!! I will be logging food as best as I can but won't be exercising due to the lack of energy... :)
  • SwimTheButterfly
    SwimTheButterfly Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    All of you who will be fasting for Ramadan are amazing. I have always thought that fasting for a month during Ramadan would be difficult . One of my friends says she gains weight each year from her family meals at night.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Its not really terribly different. For sehri make sure you eat a healthy amount of calories (a wee bit less than half your daily if you don't want to go back to bed after fajr). But if you do go back to sleep, I would go with only 1/3rd since this means that you'll be awake longer after maghrb so you probably want to eat that 2/3rd after aftar

The main problem with Ramadan is that for Aftar we eat alot of oil heavy meals and forget about eating properly. Imagine in your mind peasant food rather than lush deep fried samosas and pakoras. I personally just eat what I would typically eat throughout the rest of the year and the only difference is my timing and addition of dates (mmmm, yummy yummy dates with almonds in them!!)

The biggest issue for me has always been water (and used to be nicotine but thank god I've quit smoking). Water will be a challenge, specially drinking adequate amount. For me the challenge is that when I drink large amount, my throat feels more thirsty so I will be dropping my consumption of water during Ramadan.

As for workout, I will probably be rocking it after maghrib or maybe after taraweeh.

best of luck and pat yourself for planning ahead :)
  • NadiaAK
    NadiaAK Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I would say eat mostly protein for suhoor and don't go too crazy for iftar. Also, try to eat as close to your calorie goal as possible, but don't stuff yourself to uncomfortable proportions. Good luck!
  • nadiaez
    nadiaez Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the advice - yeah I do like to plan ahead, it's the best way to prepare myself! I know it's going to be hard but if I do it right should be able to stay on track :)
  • nadiaez
    nadiaez Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    During Ramadan nothing can pass your lips so no food or liquid between sunrise and sunset....
  • soaps54
    soaps54 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    My concern is iftaar. I tend to go overboard with the fried goodies like samosas, pakoras, and what not so I'll really have to work on my self-discipline this year. I'm trying to figure out if I'll be able to incorporate some sort of workout or exercise into my day but if not, back at it after Eid. :-)
  • Tyeger87
    Tyeger87 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I will also be fasting this year. I am hoping to continue weightloss during ramadan. I used protein shakes last year, especially for suhoor and found that they helped a lot with my energy throughout the day.
  • complicatedmoves
    complicatedmoves Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'm Muslim, I'm fasting.........PLEASE ADD ME!

I usually try to eat oatmeal, fruit, and/or a smoothie in the morning. I want to try to avoid eating Chicken, which is what we usually eat, at Iftar this year. I also am going to continue to work out, I haven't done this since I was 17 years of age (almost 12 years ago) ...I'm thinking pilates, yoga, and maybe water aerobics.