Healthiest Peanut Butter

Options
AimersBee
AimersBee Posts: 775 Member
Hi!

I'm in Canada, and I'm wondering what the healthiest peanut butter you can get would be.

I have this unsalted and unsweetened one, but apparently it's still not the best for you?

Any suggestions?!

Thanks!

Replies

• cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I use Nuts To You nut butters. There's a HUGE range. Only nuts, no sugar no icing sugar (like in some brands). It's so good!

Added- it's made by a small company in Ontario, and most I've seen use organic nuts.

Another tip I was given was to avoid ones that you don't have to mix. A good nut butter will usually have oil on the top because it's free of emulsifiers. Just mix before you use it.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Where the ingredients say "ingredients: peanuts" and nothing else. Try some other nut butters for variety too.
  • iheartcoco
    iheartcoco Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Fresh ground organic no salt at health food store or nartha mars brand organic pb with nothing added but light sea salt (no palm oil or sugar). Peanut are high on the list of pesticide use, so hence organic
  • rando348
    rando348 Posts: 22
    Options
    Jiffy natural extra crunchy. Also peanut butter co. chocolate dreams. Its natural as well. If you can't find it at the store amazon sell it.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I've heard good things about PB2. It's basically peanut butter with the oil squeezed out of it, which makes it much lower in calories and fat than the usual peanut butter

http://bellplantation.com/

There is apparently a bit of salt and sugar in it, so I guess it really depends on what your personal health goals are - do you want to cut back on calories and fat, or do you want to cut back on sugar and sodium?

I haven't been able to find it anywhere but I'm excited to try it when I do; it seems like it'll be much easier to work with in smoothies and whatnot. :drinker:
  • timvickroy
    timvickroy Posts: 12
    Options
    Where the ingredients say "ingredients: peanuts" and nothing else. Try some other nut butters for variety too.

^^This.

Look at the ingredients. It really should just say "Peanuts". Nothing else is required to make good PB. If you have Traders Joes in your area, their house brand is very good. They also have other nut butters like Almond, Cashew, Sunflower, etc. If you don't have local TJs, another good brand is ADAMS. Most markets will have this.

BTW, one of my favorite PB snacks is Fuji apple slices dipped in PB - Yum-ee!
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    Krema! Hands down.
  • AzhureSnow
    AzhureSnow Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I use PB2... it's a dehydrated peanut butter that you reconstitute with water - less oils and fats. It's in powder form, so you can add it to a smoothie or protein shake for an extra boost, too. I get it from Amazon.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Why would it not be the the best? Curious. I buy from bulk sources, ground fresh, which the only ingredient is peanuts, I add salt.
  • RVfrog
    RVfrog Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I agree pb2 and it comes in a choc also.
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options

^^^^^ this
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I used to get Smuckers Organic, but our walmart stopped selling it, so now I get smuckers natural.
  • melishapiro
    Options
    Smart Balance Rich Roast chunky. But the main thing is to use it (or any other PB) sparingly. Just a smidge :smile:
  • shamr0ck
    shamr0ck Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I like PB2. It is powered peanuts with the oil removed. You can reconstitute it with water, and it has a lot less fat than regular peanut butter. It *does* have a little salt and sugar added, but the stats when compared to regular peanut butter are still really good. I like to put it in my chocolate protein shakes made with almond milk, it gives a great flavor.

Edit to add - for the young lady who hasn't been able to find it, you can buy it on Amazon. I get the one pound packages and send them to my hubby in Afghanistan. :D