Do you run with your dog?

Options

Replies

• sandrajune72
    sandrajune72 Posts: 550
    Options
    No, but my cat will sit on the treadmill with me when I walk.

IMAG0194.jpg

Awwww! Sooo cute! :love:
  • calalily77
    calalily77 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I took my dog on a walk/run this past week. I never trained her for that but she did alright. When I first begin to run she takes off much faster than Id like but she slowed down to stay at a reasonable pace. I have her on a fairly short leash though. She can't go to fast without dragging me. She has been known to run under my feet though which is scary. Shes just over a year and she is a terrible walker so I think the running actually keeps her busy and she doesn't want to run and play with everyone she passes.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Nope, I've got a long haired dachsund. She has trouble keeping up for long periods of time with those short little legs of hers. :)
  • cloveraz
    cloveraz Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I still can not get my 9 month old lab to stop pulling...I've tried the stop and stand on leash method, nothing...We got him a harness, he chewed thru that....There really is something very special about our dog, I think he would be a great recovery dog for missing people, but those classes are very expensive...So, we take him and my grandma's dog to the dog park to run like the wind. My cat she enjoys the peace and quiet!

What I did with my Sheperd when she started to pull is: walk with them on the leash...then they start to pull, turn them around and walk back the way you came (about 4-5 steps) then suddenly turn around again and walk back the opposite way until they pull again, then you repeat. Granted, I looked like a fool for about 20 minutes walking no more then about 10 steps with my dog at a time but she caught on very quickly that we were going to walk where I wanted to go...not where she wanted to go.

Another option is the Halti Head Collar, these are VERY popular in the UK. My neighbor just started using one with her 90-pound lab and he is a different dog when he is on this. He no longer pulls at all!!! I am sure you can also find these in the states. http://www.companyofanimals.co.uk/products/dog-training-and-accessories/stop-pulling/halti-headcollar

oh, I'm going to have to try that method....and i'll take a look at the collar, also..THANK YOU!
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I've heard better things about the "gentle leader" versus the "halti," and it works great for my pit bull.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I would definitely run with my dog Moe. However, I have two dogs (brother and sister from the same litter) and even though they are the same age the female is aging a lot faster and can't keep up (also doesn't help that she is fatter than him).

....they give me the evil eye if I take one and not the other...makes me feel guilty...lmao
  • stepharega
    stepharega Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    No :( I got a bad scare recently when I did run with him (11 lb chihuahua)
    his heart was SKYROCKETED and i was in tears that he couldnt stop panting so fast
    so i took a break...short walks here and there but not running yet no.
    i also got him on this no grain high protein dog food by "wellness" its awesome but i dont think hes crazy about it x
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    LOL @ cat on treadmill.
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I run intervals with my Lab/boxer mix (we've been on hiatus because mommy has sciatica again).

At first, I would suggest that you get a harness - either a walking harness or a gentle leader. A walking harness places the D ring at the back between the shoulders and a Gentle leader is a collar designed to stop the dog from pulling. It's not a muzzle, but it does go around the face. I had a walking harness and my dog would still pull and I've come close to face planting a few times. The Gentle leader corrects the pulling a very calm way and keeps the dog at your side or slightly in front of you w/out restricting their breathing.

Then - I would suggest training. When you walk the dog, train the dog to stop, sit, turn corners, and check back. This last one is very important, because as you run, you want your dog to check in with you for feedback about picking up pace or continuing for a longer interval. *train your dog to walk one side of you at all times. I like to have my dog walk on my left side because I'm left handed*

Finally, learn your dog's heat tolerance. If your dog likes the sun or the heat, you may have more luck running with them in the summer (still, bring water). If your dog does not like the heat, summer running w/your pooch may be difficult and require more water than you may want to carry.

Build up slowly - some dogs are not used to running other than in a sprinting fashion. My dog thought it was a race the first time. Also, like others have said, don't run with a pup under about 1 to 1.5 years of age. Their joints and plates aren't fused and it can lead to problems.

If you get a dog or have a dog with a squished face (pug, papillon, boxer, bulldog) be careful in the heat. These dogs have very restricted airways due to being bred to have cute squishy faces. They overheat quicker which is very dangers.

And my REAL last point - if you haven't gotten the dog yet, rescue. There are too many dogs that need loving home just sitting in shelters waiting for an active companion to go running with. Treat them to a dog's true life.
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    My dog is a pit, about 4 years old and she LoVeS to run with me. If we bike she even loves to run along, we just have to stop every now and then.

I didn't really do anything to get her there, she just loves to go.
  • asasser2002
    Options
    I sure do! I'm only up to running about half a mile right now though so he and I are training together. :) He is a 4 year old Shepherd mix (good ole mutt!) He has long legs and tends to want to go faster than I do so I have him wearing a doggie back pack which is very convenient too because he totes my cell phone, a poncho and water for us! :) It makes him feel like he has a "job". I've trained several to run on a treadmill also... that's probably a good start for a dog if you are already used to running long distances. :happy:
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Does anyone run with their dog? How did you train them? How far do you run? What kind of dog? How old were they when you started training them? I am getting a puppy this weekend and while I know it will be a while before he can run with me I was wondering if anyone had some advice on how to get there.
    Thanks!

Yes I run with Jada.

Training is a work in progess....so is my running.

We run about 2.5 miles and walk some as well.

She is a beagle/cavalier mix and she has a ton of energy. She is a year.

***Harness was the way to go for me since she is such a puller. Especially with all the bunnies lol***
  • asasser2002
    Options
    And my REAL last point - if you haven't gotten the dog yet, rescue. There are too many dogs that need loving home just sitting in shelters waiting for an active companion to go running with. Treat them to a dog's true life.

^^^ Wholeheartedly AGREE!! I have 6 rescued dogs!
  • stratusofkiser
    stratusofkiser Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I walk with my dog, I slowly up my pace (she is already top speed!lol) my dog keeps me on my toes, I am starting to walk my 3 month old pup of course not far small walks and work it up slowly. Have fun! My dog helps keep me motivated to keep going. She is a cattle dog?australian shepherd mix so she is full of energy.
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    used to. hes getting old now tho.
    started when i got him at the normal pup weeks.
    hes a pit
    we used to do abt 5M a day. i would just bring him a water bottle too!
    trained him in the front yard to get used to the leash.. then took him on the beach. he loved the beach and never had issues.. perhaps bc he was so young.
  • melissa_leah
    melissa_leah Posts: 107
    Options
    I can't.... I mean my dog loves to run and WILL run with me but he likes to stop at every bush and pee on it so it gets annoying haha
  • cmbrysonussery
    cmbrysonussery Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have 2 huskies who run/walk with me. They can go way longer than I can. I also foster huskies for a rescue (Adopt don't Shop!) and train them to walk/run with me too.
    They catch on pretty easy. I run two at a time one on each side.
  • soccermom004
    soccermom004 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Picked up my pup on Sunday. He is a rescue. Super sweet.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    It is recommended that I do not run with my dog, because of the breed.

He is a Corgi, so he is too tiny to keep up with my run pace. He will keep up, though, if I try it. And it will wear him out dangerously. The dog doesn't know when to stop running, so he just keeps going.

So sadly, I can only go on short, brisk walks with my Corgi. Which, at that point, he is practically running anyhow.
  • mrschappet
    mrschappet Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I wish... my dog is too lazy!