Why am I not losing weight on 1200 cal a day and exercising

Options
Heyyleigh
Heyyleigh Posts: 268 Member
Hi All! I am new to the site and I read all the posts everyday. This is my 5th week. I eat very good food, lots of fresh veggies, fruits and proteins. I log my food perfectly and I also walk anywhere from 20-30 miles a week. All of this is new - I was eating crap before and added my new diet and exercise at the beginning. So I am extremely confused as HOW I can log and stay in my range of calories, gave up sugar ( haven't had a sweet tea in 5 weeks ) that was my weakness! I stretch my calories over the day, so I eat about 5 times a day. I had lost a total of 8.2 pounds as of last Saturday and today I weighed and I have gained 3 back!!!! Unless I just eat air, I have no idea what else to do. I added more time to my walks and I increased my water to 84ozs. -I was already drinkng well over 32ozs a day. No sodas- I hate diet drinks.
I know we want it off fast, when it took years to gain.................but Geeze - really! 3 pounds gained.

Replies

• AzhureSnow
    AzhureSnow Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    It's hard to really tell without looking at your diary, but here are some thoughts -
    PMS and hormones - I gain anywhere from 2-4 pounds the week of my cycle, every month, without fail.
    When are you weighing yourself? The time of day can really change your weight - I'm always about 1.5 lbs heavier at night.
    Maybe your body needs more fuel than you're giving it - I alternate about every week or two between a 1200 calorie base and a 1400 calorie base. I guess it keeps my metabolism on it's toes?
    Are you eating your exercise calories? It's important to keep fueling your body after workouts.

Or maybe, you've hit a plateau and you need to up the game on your cardio. Instead of walking 20-30 miles, run at least 10 of those miles each week. Start a muscle building program because muscle, just by existing, burns a lot of calories on its own. Incorporate some weight lifting into your week - even if you just start with 5 lb hand weights.
  • sundropc14
    sundropc14 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    hi, i wasn't losing weight on 1200 cal. so upped it to 1350 . I'm 5'1" 135lbs very active. Your probably not eating enough calories to fuel your body so its holding everything you give it. open your diary. Or just add some more calories and see. It seriously is a little bit of a game you need to play with your numbers to see what works for you. 6 months and I'm still playing
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Please use the Search option. There's plenty to read about this subject. It's been covered 100,000 times.
  • mecaseyrn
    mecaseyrn Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I am having the very same problem! I can't seem to lose any weight, its like I plateaued after losing 8lbs and I have almost 50 to lose to be healthy or even like myself for that matter. If you find the answer let me know please!!!
  • Heyyleigh
    Options
    Hi, I opened the diary- have a l@@K. Thanks!
  • ebony467
    ebony467 Posts: 15
    Options
    Yes I believe this too :)

I have the whole 1200 cal diet, and my weight constantly jumps around but lowers gradually, then jumps up again another couple pounds for no reason. Even if you gain about 3 pounds they will (or should) fall off pretty fast in the next couple of days so long as you keep pushing yourself.
  • ebony467
    ebony467 Posts: 15
    Options
    It's hard to really tell without looking at your diary, but here are some thoughts -
    PMS and hormones - I gain anywhere from 2-4 pounds the week of my cycle, every month, without fail.
    When are you weighing yourself? The time of day can really change your weight - I'm always about 1.5 lbs heavier at night.
    Maybe your body needs more fuel than you're giving it - I alternate about every week or two between a 1200 calorie base and a 1400 calorie base. I guess it keeps my metabolism on it's toes?
    Are you eating your exercise calories? It's important to keep fueling your body after workouts.

Or maybe, you've hit a plateau and you need to up the game on your cardio. Instead of walking 20-30 miles, run at least 10 of those miles each week. Start a muscle building program because muscle, just by existing, burns a lot of calories on its own. Incorporate some weight lifting into your week - even if you just start with 5 lb hand weights.
    lol sorry I've never quoted before on MFP >.<
  • runningindigo
    runningindigo Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Hey there!! It could be because you're net eating enough calories! Do you have a heart rate monitor or can you gauge how many calories you're burning when you workout? I eat between 1750-2000 calories on the days I have workouts...I have a heart rate monitor that I wear during my workouts. It shows me how many calories I'm burning during my workouts. Once I"m done, I'll add it to my exercise log here on MFP and then I eat dinner. I've been losing 1-2 lbs/wk doing this!

I hope this helps!
  • sundropc14
    sundropc14 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I didn't go that far back to see that your hardly even eating your 1200 cal. or your exercise cals. walking that much requires fuel. log on your macronutrients your sodium.
  • jgray08
    jgray08 Posts: 11
    Options
    Great posting very interesting because although I haven't been doing this long I feel the same way on 1200 calorie. I can't seem to lose anything. I will look for other boards that address this can someone point them out for me??
  • Heyyleigh
    Options
    So eat more! Like today, I ate alot of steamed califlower at lunch and I am still full. I can't eat anything else today. Ok, I can try this.
  • allycat54
    allycat54 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Eat your exercise calories,
  • Heyyleigh
    Options
    Hard to hear someone say EAT MORE! ;) Certainly will try that.
  • allycat54
    allycat54 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary, you definitely need to eat more. Even if it's a couple of spoons of peanut butter. :smile:
  • Heyyleigh
    Options
    BTW, I had been debating on a purchase. I searched the Fitbit, but it had terrible reviews, so I am thinking of purchasing the Body Fit. I want to really see what is going on. I always knew loggin the food is a chance, because even though I search and log and read lables, I could still be off a bit.
  • Heyyleigh
    Options
    :) thanks, its going to be hard.
  • sherrykwilk
    Options
    20 miles a week burns at least 1400 calories a week and if you are walking fast like 4 mph then it burns about 1800. A heart rate monitor as suggested would help you know more. You are most definitely starving yourself and your body is holding on to the fat. You need to eat your protein !!!!!! When I was training for marathons and walking 20 to 22 miles a week I was starving all the time and was eating about 2000 calories a day...also was weight training twice aweek. EAT MORE and add more protein to your diet.
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    You're not even netting 1000 on many days! You need to make sure that, at the very least, you are netting 1200. I would suggest you start with that, and once you are used to eating that much, increase them by 100-200/week and see what happens. Good luck!
  • ber3023
    ber3023 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Try to make everyday look more like last Monday and see if that works. Yes, I'm agreeing with the eat more!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    1. eat more
    2. ?????
    3. Profit