New to weights and not sure how to start

Options
So I think I'm ready to start lifting some weights, but I'm not really sure where to start. I have 2 each 10 lb, 8 lb and 5 lb dumbbells. I have a 7 lb medicine ball and I have a green resistance band. I would like to start with 2 days a week - Wednesday for Legs and Abs and Saturday for arms. Could someone help me figure out what to do now?

Just so you know, here is the rest of what I'm doing each day:
Sunday - light dog walks
Monday - Arc Trainer, Personal Training (workouts vary), Walk dog, Bag and Box class, 30DS
Tuesday - Ttapp, 30DS, 15 minutes core, walk dog
Wednesday - Legs, Bag and Box class, 30DS, walk dog
Thursday - Arc Trainer, Personal Training (workouts vary), Walk dog, Bag and Box class, 30DS
Friday - Ttapp, 30DS, Walk dog
Saturday - Treadmill, Arms, Walk Dog, 30DS

Thanks in advance for anyone who might be able to give me some guidance.

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    starting strength
    new rules of weight lifting for women

flip a coin.
  • norwpam
    norwpam Posts: 5
    Options
    I was new to weights about 5 weeks ago. I started them because I decided to do the ChaLean Extreme workout program. She works all muscle groups and allows the proper days of rest between each of them. The idea behind it is to build lean muscle, which burns fat. Slow reps, heavy weights, not very many reps. I'm certainly no expert to offer any other advice though. I just do what she tells me to do and am noticing more toned arms, thighs, and butt. Belly fat has also gone done some (about 1.5").

Good luck!
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    So if i am reading this correctly, you work with a personal trainer two days a week? That would be the person to get some advice from. They know you, your capabilities, current fitness level, etc. In lieu of that, there are all kinds of lifting programs online that you can follow. I use the New Rules of Lifting for Women. You will probably need some heavier weights though. You cannot build muscle with a max of 10lbs.
  • crazy8ts
    crazy8ts Posts: 360
    Options
    *jerky comment alert*

You pick them up and put them down.

:happy:
  • cyndispot
    cyndispot Posts: 135
    Options
    Yes, I work with a trainer two days a week, BUT (isn't there always one?) when I talk to her about weights she ALWAYS refers me to the machines and while those are great sometimes, I want to be able to do stuff at home when time won't allow. So I was trying to figure out some things I could do here. And when we work weights it's machines AND her main focus with me is cardio cuz it's where I drop the weight the fastest she says. So I'm kind of feeling on my own to get some workout ideas for working with dumbbells mainly.

I know I need more than 10 lbs, right now that's all I can do with my arms. As I save more money I will get heavier weights. I just can't get everything all at once. I know it's not ideal, but I was just going to start with what I have cuz it's what I had.

There's a smartar$e in every group - I knew the part about picking them up and putting them down. But thanks for the laugh. I'll check back for more advice later, but thought I'd respond to what was here now.

Thanks again.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    starting strength

flip a coin.

I do new rules of lifting for women and find it good. I have heard stronglifts 5x5 is good as well.
    I am doing it at home getting bits as I can as well. I bought about 21kg of weights, borrowed a bit more weights, bought a barbell and dumbell bars and a swiss ball. Next I am going to need an aerobics step that I will be using in place of a weights bench, then I will need a pull up bar and more weights. If you can't do everything at once doing what you can is better than nothing in my opinion. Oh and I use two chairs as a squat rack, probably a bit dodgy but better than trying to lift stuff over my head LOL
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    1) Cardio won't drop weight the fastest. Diet will. Cardio adds nothing to weight loss that diet alone can't do just as good. That said, cardio is great for cardio, so do it anyway.

2) If you want to do strength training at home, you don't really need weights, there are body weight strength training templates. Convict Conditioning is a great one. If you do want to do strength training at a gym, as was mentioned earlier, Starting strength and the new lifting rules for women, pick one.
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    starting strength

flip a coin.

This^

Also, if your PT's best advice for weights is machines, get a new trainer.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

Also, if your PT's best advice for weights is machines, get a new trainer.

Agreed.. Get a new trainer.

My PT has me doing free weight/body weight workouts that are total body.. and he writes up these programs for me based on my goals and what I'm trying to achieve.

Try talking to your PT and see if she can give you some ideas for free weights/resistance bands.. and if she says no, well then it's time to ditch her.
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    You have won the prize for the worst trainer in the entire world. That's soooo sad. :grumble: Really.
  • estrange22
    estrange22 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others...get a new trainer immediately. Or, get rid of the trainer and go to bodybuilding.com and pick a plan or look up exercises with dumbells and bands and make your own plan!